Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

PIU struts/shocks

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So with no Bilstein options (yet), I wanted a way to get firmer damping for my Steeda springs. The rear shocks replacement is an quick, easy way to see if Police Interceptor Utility (PIU) shocks offer more damping like some of the literature out there would suggest. I paid $103 each with $11 shipping from Levittown Ford. Part# LB5Z-18125-J. Install time: 10 minutes for each side. No alignment needed.

Box Label:
IMG_7282.jpeg

Old 2020 ST shock:
IMG_7283.jpeg

New 2020 PIU shock:
IMG_2023-4-5-070925.jpeg

Initial ride thoughts: Definitely firmed up the ride. Feels more solid. There is also more road feel. Choppy roads can be penal. When I had both of them out, the PIU shocks are definitely much harder to compress by hand than my old ST shocks.

Reality check: my outgoing shocks had 65,000 miles on them. I would probably have the same impressions had I put in new ST shocks. There is no way for me to know how the PIU shocks actually compare to ST shocks when both are new. The only thing that can be said is that new PIU shocks are firmer than my old ST shocks. But I like them enough that sometime later this summer, I'm going to replace the fronts with PIU struts if there is still no Bilstein option.

Last edited:
Reactions
Awesome. Thanks for taking the leap and trying these. I had a feeling they’d be stiffer since the PIU rear bar is 23mm compared to 21.7mm in the ST. These will be a great option for anyone who has a larger rear bar and wants to tackle some curves with less under-steer. Have the PIU rear bar comping for mine (the Steeda bar is covered in rust and needs to be re-coated), so might just add the shocks while I’m there. Total bummer that Bilstein hasn’t come through, but these will be a good start!

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Installed the front PIU struts (LB5Z-18124-H PIU front right, LB5Z-18124-R PIU front left, $220 shipped from Levittown Ford) today. My Steeda springs definitely settled a little because I didn't need to use a spring compressor--just put a little force down on the strut mount and was able to thread on the top nut. I did reuse all other parts which seemed in good condition. Install took about an hour and a half. As with the shocks, the PIU struts were definitely much harder to compress than the old, likely worn, ST struts. The ride with both PIU struts and shocks installed is super nice. Very responsive and solid feeling. Car feels more stable but there is definitely more road feel so maybe not a good choice if you want more comfort. The trade off is worth it to me. Would definitely recommend if you need new struts and shocks, especially if lowered. I

Old ST struts:
IMG_2023-4-14-131358.jpeg IMG_2023-4-14-131323.jpeg

PIU struts
IMG_2023-4-14-131458.jpeg IMG_2023-4-14-131439.jpeg
IMG_2023-6-18-065558.jpeg IMG_2023-6-18-065429.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions
Got my PIU rear bar and shocks installed today. I’d say it’s every bit as planted as it was with the Steeda rear bar (mine was completely rusted, so it had to go). My shocks only have 35,000 miles and one was starting to leak, but the PIU versions still feel slightly stiffer which is perfect. It’s a great bang-for-the-buck, and even better - the e-coating on OEM bars isn’t going to rot away.

Not intending to bash Steeda, but this is my bar after two years in OH & MI. I have no desire fussing with getting it powder coated again, so was happy to just add the PIU gear instead.

IMG_4176.jpeg

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Just doing the PIU rear shocks may be the way to go. Doing the front struts in addition definitely feels planted but most would not appreciate the road feel that comes with doing all 4 corners. Just got back from a round trip from Ohio to Wilmington NC and most highways driven were NOT comfy.

Update:. after break-in, they are a lot smoother. I can definitely recommend both shocks and struts.

Last edited:
Reactions
Yep - leaving the OE front bar and struts in. The big improvement here is only with the rear parts.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Interesting….I’ve been considering swapping front and rear. I do like a firmer ride but mostly wanting to swap because my car is just over 60K on the clock and we all know the originals are barely clinging to life. lol
That and Bilstein apparently has no plans to bring B6’s or B8’s to market for these cars.

Reactions
I’ve said it more than once: If you want to cut down on some of the under-steer in an IRS vehicle, you stiffen the rear. It’s why the big front sway bars are a waste of money. I went the same route with my ‘03 Cobra and the difference is amazing.

The Steeda and AFE rear bars are a great step up, but this other option with the PIU parts is also an upgrade. I just had lousy luck with the powder coating, so going back to an OE part was perfect. Totally happy with the change.

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The pictures that OP posted show identical part number PIU vs ST. They are the same exact shock/strut and there would be no difference in dampening, etc.

Reactions
The pictures that OP posted show identical part number PIU vs ST. They are the same exact shock/strut and there would be no difference in dampening, etc.
You are obviously not paying attention. The PIU shocks are clearly listed: LB5Z-18125-J. Those are not the same p/n‘s for the ST. Even in the picture, the engineering numbers are also different. Same goes for the struts. If the PIU and ST shared the same dampers, the part numbers and engineering numbers would be identical. That’s basically the whole point of this thread. Goes the same for the sway bars.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I took used a tape on the PIUs at work, I think they are 21s

Here is my stock ST height vs the PIU. I can not comment on how loaded up they are though.

ST FRONT:

ST REAR:

PIU FRONT:

PIU REAR:

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

Here is my stock ST height vs the PIU. I can not comment on how loaded up they are though.

ST FRONT

ST REAR:

PIU FRONT:

PIU REAR:
You can’t measure ground to fender to compare, only axle centerline to fender. Shocks and struts don’t effect ride height anyway.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Here's a pic of a rear shock label of a 2.3L Explorer. Some part#'s are shared across the Explorers, but the other codes are different and the difference is in the details.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I took used a tape on the PIUs at work, I think they are 21s...
I was under the impression that the Interceptors were 18" wheels.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I thought that @Mekks082 reference was to the Police Interceptors at work. I may have misinterpreted that post. Hence my response.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Correct I ment MY2021. Good call on the center hub. I did not even think about rim size diff.

Reactions
A PIU 255/60-18 tire (off the top of my head) is 30” compared to about 30.75” for the 275/45-21 ST wheel/tire.

Reactions
A PIU 255/60-18 tire (off the top of my head) is 30” compared to about 30.75” for the 275/45-21 ST wheel/tire.
The stock wheel on the regular explorer is 255/65R18, do the PIU have 60 series?

Reactions
The stock wheel on the regular explorer is 255/65R18, do the PIU have 60 series?
I thought one I saw did, but then again, wast just kicking that off the top of my head.