Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Park brake automatically on

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
That is correct any push button or rotary controlled transmission has this feature for safety. I don't think any of the gear shift traditional style levers can put themselves into park.
My 2021 F150 Ford F150 Platinum Powerboost move the whole shifter to park by itself...

Mad Max

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 st line
I think the big problem here is the fact that these Electric parking brake calipers are bloody expensive to replace so with it being used constantly it's going to wear them out 100 times faster than normal. Obviously smart people will use them on any type of incline but when parked on the flat surface it's not needed therefore premature wear. I'd love to be able to turn mine off so it's not going on all the time but I want control over it unless of course Ford will give me a lifetime warranty on these calipers for free replacement and labor but we all know that will never happen

hbalek

Reactions
I think the big problem here is the fact that these Electric parking brake calipers are bloody expensive to replace so with it being used constantly it's going to wear them out 100 times faster than normal. Obviously smart people will use them on any type of incline but when parked on the flat surface it's not needed therefore premature wear. I'd love to be able to turn mine off so it's not going on all the time but I want control over it unless of course Ford will give me a lifetime warranty on these calipers for free replacement and labor but we all know that will never happen
Not using a parking brake puts strain on the transmission when in Park. So I'd rather use the brake than stress an already poorly shifting and unreliable transmission. I had mine rebuilt at 25K miles due to harsh shifts between 6-7th gear. Mine is bone stock and I rarely gun it or drive very aggressively.

Mad Max

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 st line
Not using a parking brake puts strain on the transmission when in Park. So I'd rather use the brake than stress an already poorly shifting and unreliable transmission. I had mine rebuilt at 25K miles due to harsh shifts between 6-7th gear. Mine is bone stock and I rarely gun it or drive very aggressively.
As I stated in my original post, if you are on an incline then you obviously use a parking brake and I've been doing that for the 40 plus years I've been driving. If you're on a flat surface it's not going to hurt your transmission or anything else whatsoever

hbalek

Reactions
As I stated in my original post, if you are on an incline then you obviously use a parking brake and I've been doing that for the 40 plus years I've been driving. If you're on a flat surface it's not going to hurt your transmission or anything else whatsoever
If the car moves after you put in park and take your foot off the brake then I think it's your transmission taking the weight. Thus, I put the electronic brake on before taking my foot off the brake. To each his own. I've been driving for 40 years and have used automatic e-brake since 2015. It's a no brainer for me and I never manually release the brake, it does it automatically as soon as you tap the throttle.

Mad Max

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 st line
If the car moves after you put in park and take your foot off the brake then I think it's your transmission taking the weight. Thus, I put the electronic brake on before taking my foot off the brake. To each his own. I've been driving for 40 years and have used automatic e-brake since 2015. It's a no brainer for me and I never manually release the brake, it does it automatically as soon as you tap the throttle.
But if you are parked on a flat surface how would the car roll either way?

hbalek

Reactions
I feel it move after taking my foot off the brake no matter how flat the surface is. I prefer using it. No one is forcing you to do so. My driveway has an incline so maybe it's force of habit for me at all times.

Reactions
A truly flat surface is hard to find. Maybe a still lake or an ice rink, but never a road or parking lot. Even my garage has a slight slope to drain any water that drips off, thus the vehicle always rolls back and puts pressure on the parking pin. It is a lot easier for me to service the brakes regularly than the transmission infrequently. I get enough practice with the wife's Dodge minivan. Now those brakes suck.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
This is probably a basic (read: dumb) question for many of you, but does the parking brake make use of the same primary pads and calipers used for every day driving and braking, or are there separate braking components used only for the e-brake?

Reactions
This is probably a basic (read: dumb) question for many of you, but does the parking brake make use of the same primary pads and calipers used for every day driving and braking, or are there separate braking components used only for the e-brake?
Same caliper and pads. There is an electric servo that applies and releases the parking brake.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Same caliper and pads. There is an electric servo that applies and releases the parking brake.
Thanks. Appreciate that info

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I know this is an old thread but I wonder if there is a way to turn this off using FORScan. Mine just started doing this after being in for service. It must be part of an update. It doesn't really bother me. I just put it in gear and go. But I'll bet there is a way to disable it if it bugs you.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I know this is an old thread but I wonder if there is a way to turn this off using FORScan. Mine just started doing this after being in for service. It must be part of an update. It doesn't really bother me. I just put it in gear and go. But I'll bet there is a way to disable it if it bugs you.
I’m betting there isn’t since it’s supposed to be part of a Recall.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I was under the impression your aftermarket tune would overwrite this.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I installed my tune and it still does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Suspect they did not override it because it was not there when they setup your tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Yes. Dangerous. It releases the brake with a higher than necessary idle
I agree. I hate having to tap on the gas just to get it to roll. In my other cars, I just put in gear and let off the break and it starts rolling. With my ST I have to hit the gas and it will lurch. And in my garage it can be tight , and I could easily run into it if im not careful. So I agree.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I agree. I hate having to tap on the gas just to get it to roll. In my other cars, I just put in gear and let off the break and it starts rolling. With my ST I have to hit the gas and it will lurch. And in my garage it can be tight , and I could easily run into it if im not careful. So I agree.
Or you could just press the button to turn the parking brake off before you shift into gear.