Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Park brake automatically on

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Exploer ST
My 22 ST always sets the parking brake when I park and it is annoying.
Yes, it releases when I drive away. It takes too much throttle input to release when backing out of garage and I think this is unsafe.

is there a trick to disable that automatically set parking brake? I see that it is a feature when on a steep grade but I’m on level ground.

Reactions
You think its unsafe? LOL

It was included/added in mid 21+ ST's as a safety precaution in case the single bolt from the rear subframe broke so the SUV wont roll when its on park.

You can also release the auto brake manually everytime with the press of a button in the center console.

OP
wilsons66604
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Exploer ST
Thread Starter #3
Yes. Dangerous. It releases the brake with a higher than necessary idle

Reactions
Yes. Dangerous. It releases the brake with a higher than necessary idle
Im well aware how it works, its not the only vehicle that has the auto brake on start up.

Like I said as well, you can turn it off every time with a press of a button

hbalek

Reactions
It only takes a light tap of the accelerator has nothing to do with idle speed at all on mine. There's barely a blip on the tach when I release mine. Something sounds wrong.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Once you get the feel for it it really doesn't take much at all to release. Also as mentioned use the button if the foot method doesn't work for you!

hbalek

Reactions
Once you get the feel for it it really doesn't take much at all to release. Also as mentioned use the button if the foot method doesn't work for you!
Especially if you use auto start/stop and auto-hold at the same time. One tap, turns the engine on, second tap (literally a tap) gets the car moving. Auto-hold and parking brake seem to work the same way.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So the Auto Brake never really bothered me until today. I found out that if you open the door while in reverse the truck automatically goes into park and then set's the brake. Our first snow hit and my rear camera got covered on the way into work. I couldn't see how close I was to obsticle through the mirrors so I opened my door and damnit if it didn't stop dead on me :(
Now that part of the Auto Brake was inconvenient.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I believe the vehicles have always gone into Park when you open the door. The brake is just something extra now.

Automatic Return to Park
What is Automatic Return to Park (P)
Your vehicle shifts in park (P) if you
attempt to exit your vehicle without the
transmission in park (P).
How Does Automatic Return to Park (P)
Work
Your vehicle shifts into park (P) when your
vehicle is stationary and any of the
following occur:
• You switch the vehicle off.
• You open the driver door with your
seatbelt unlatched.
• You unlatch the driver seatbelt when
the driver door is open.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
I believe the vehicles have always gone into Park when you open the door. The brake is just something extra now.

Automatic Return to Park
What is Automatic Return to Park (P)
Your vehicle shifts in park (P) if you
attempt to exit your vehicle without the
transmission in park (P).
How Does Automatic Return to Park (P)
Work
Your vehicle shifts into park (P) when your
vehicle is stationary and any of the
following occur:
• You switch the vehicle off.
• You open the driver door with your
seatbelt unlatched.
• You unlatch the driver seatbelt when
the driver door is open.
That is correct any push button or rotary controlled transmission has this feature for safety. I don't think any of the gear shift traditional style levers can put themselves into park.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I don't think any of the gear shift traditional style levers can put themselves into park.
Why do the Police Interceptors have these?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Because they usually have laptops and other equipment where the center console is located.
They are also trained to SLAM it into park regardless of damage to the vehicle when pulling up to a stressful event like a car chase that has almost ended, fighting, shooting etc.

Nhdataguy

Reactions
My only started doing this after the last update when i lost my audio completely for a month ...
For 1 year it was not like that and it is annoying when reversing ...

Reactions
Why do the Police Interceptors have these?
It is quicker and easier to move a column shift and PIU have no center consoles unless ordered with one and it will still be a column shift. Consoles are added by departments so they can up fit/ customize for radios, siren and light controlers/MDT.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
My 2023 does this as well. When shifting from Park to R or D it requires a light tap of the accelerator to release the brake. I too wish it wouldn't do that.

Badrapp

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
My 2023 does this as well. When shifting from Park to R or D it requires a light tap of the accelerator to release the brake. I too wish it wouldn't do that.
Mine as well, so all you have to do is lightly touch the accelerator to release the brake before you put it into drive?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine as well, so all you have to do is lightly touch the accelerator to release the brake before you put it into drive?
Just put it in gear and go. It will release with throttle input.

cobrajh69

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I do not like it at all. they should be recalled and made to fix the weak rear axle issue which, is why they put an automatic parking brake in the first place. I drove home from work one evening and it was a very wet ride home. I got home, parked in my driveway, so i could drive my 4WD the next morning commute because it was supposed to snow the next morning. The temperature got down to around 25F* that evening. I started my 22' ST early and let it warm up as usual. Got in to go to work and put it in drive to go to work. Pressed the accelerator and it would not move. To shorten this story, when the parking brake engaged the night before and it was soaked with water, it froze. After 2 days and the temperature came up, I was able to use my new vehicle for my commute to work. Now, if this cheap band aid to fix a bigger problem had been actually fixed instead of putting an automatic park brake on, then i could've made it to work avoiding all kinds of problems. History tells us of this problem: Don't ALWAYS use your parking brake!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I do not like it at all. they should be recalled and made to fix the weak rear axle issue which, is why they put an automatic parking brake in the first place. I drove home from work one evening and it was a very wet ride home. I got home, parked in my driveway, so i could drive my 4WD the next morning commute because it was supposed to snow the next morning. The temperature got down to around 25F* that evening. I started my 22' ST early and let it warm up as usual. Got in to go to work and put it in drive to go to work. Pressed the accelerator and it would not move. To shorten this story, when the parking brake engaged the night before and it was soaked with water, it froze. After 2 days and the temperature came up, I was able to use my new vehicle for my commute to work. Now, if this cheap band aid to fix a bigger problem had been actually fixed instead of putting an automatic park brake on, then i could've made it to work avoiding all kinds of problems. History tells us of this problem: Don't ALWAYS use your parking brake!
Yeah, right.

Explorer ST Posts