Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil drain plug leaking

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Anyone else experience their oil drain plug start leaking? I did replace it with a new one when I change the oil 3 months ago.

Is this a common thing with these plastic drain plugs? This is my first experience with this type of design.

Does anyone use one of the UPR drain plugs instead?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You sure that it's motor oil? If it's on the pan, could be your front axle disconnect actuator leaking.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
You sure that it's motor oil? If it's on the pan, could be your front axle disconnect actuator leaking.
Yeah definitely leaking from the drain plug itself and not on the pan. I did check some of the pictures posted from other members and it's not leaking like how theirs are with the actuator.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I have done all my oil changes since owning and no leaks so far. Yes new drain plug is an interesting design.

Not sure if many members on here know this because I was not aware. There is a trend now (actually for years) that the oil change places and some dealers no longer pull the drain plug the use suction device and pull oil through dipstick tube.

My friend is a Gold Tech at Porsche and he said they have been doing this for years and he bought his own. When they checked to see if the suction device was getting all the oil out they found it actually did a better job then a oil pan plug pull & drip. Apparently this method is faster and no issues with drain plugs cross threading or leaking.

Im buying one for my next oil change, they are only $200....no more ramps or jack stands required.

Something like this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mityvac-...1?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101264829

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have done all my oil changes since owning and no leaks so far. Yes new drain plug is an interesting design.

Not sure if many members on here know this because I was not aware. There is a trend now (actually for years) that the oil change places and some dealers no longer pull the drain plug the use suction device and pull oil through dipstick tube.

My friend is a Gold Tech at Porsche and he said they have been doing this for years and he bought his own. When they checked to see if the suction device was getting all the oil out they found it actually did a better job then a oil pan plug pull & drip. Apparently this method is faster and no issues with drain plugs cross threading or leaking.

Im buying one for my next oil change, they are only $200....no more ramps or jack stands required.

Something like this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mityvac-...1?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101264829
I have the Harbor Freight Fluid Extractor for two years now. I have done about 5 oil changes this way on the Explorer ST. Take out 6qt each time.

https://www.harborfreight.com/23-gallon-manual-fluid-extractor-62643.html

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I us

Something like this

I have only done one oil change through the drain plug, swapped to the UPR drain plug and never used it. Then switched to the Mityvac for the last 6 oil changes. It is the way to go. $119 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR7TC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah definitely leaking from the drain plug itself and not on the pan. I did check some of the pictures posted from other members and it's not leaking like how theirs are with the actuator.
I don't want to assume, but did you coat the O-ring with new oil before inserting it? Even though made of plastic, my experience is that they don't leak. I do vacuum extraction method now and probably have 70k miles and 4 years on my oil plug. No leaking. I keep telling myself I'm going to replace the oil plug periodically but haven't gotten around to it. Doing oil changes by just opening the hood is too convenient and not messy at all.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I don't want to assume, but did you coat the O-ring with new oil before inserting it? Even though made of plastic, my experience is that they don't leak. I do vacuum extraction method now and probably have 70k miles and 4 years on my oil plug. No leaking. I keep telling myself I'm going to replace the oil plug periodically but haven't gotten around to it. Doing oil changes by just opening the hood is too convenient and not messy at all.
Hmmmm now that's a great question. It was about October that I changed the oil so I cannot remember at this point by I'm doubting that I did that. We just got a big snowstorm so I haven't checked the oil level but doesn't look like a massive leak at this point.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I had no idea this extraction method was so popular......Im behind the times apparently.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I had no idea this extraction method was so popular......Im behind the times apparently.
I use one. Makes oil changes a lot easier and quicker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
I have the same problem I think the o rings on the plastic plug are low quality as after a few oil changes they look flattened and need to be replaced.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have the same problem I think the o rings on the plastic plug are low quality as after a few oil changes they look flattened and need to be replaced.
I do believe that Ford recommends changing out the plastic plug with each oil change. So you would have a new O-ring that is not worn out. Kinda like making sure you have a new O-ring for the oil filter change.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I don't know about you, but any chance I get to not crawl under the car the better. I'm not getting any younger or flexible..lol Plus that damn felt cover is a pain in the ass.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
I do believe that Ford recommends changing out the plastic plug with each oil change. So you would have a new O-ring that is not worn out. Kinda like making sure you have a new O-ring for the oil filter change.
Makes sense as I replace it every other oil change.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
Makes sense as I replace it every other oil change.
Well I'd recommend every oil change since mine is leaking in between changes!

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I concur that the oil extraction method is the way to go with the ST. One concern from some is that you don't ever check under your vehicle using this method and I agree with that point, so I take a gander underneath every few months. Actually just noticed that a CV boot was leaking and had it fixed right away.
Here is what works for me:

EWK 6.5L Manual Oil Extractor Change Pump for Automotive Fluids Vacuum Evacuation https://a.co/d/3idUH8V

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
OK now I'm annoyed. Did an oil change and replaced the drain plug with a new one, made sure to oil the o-ring, and it's leaking again! This time seemingly even more.

What would be the cause of this?

1000004388.jpg 1000004387.jpg

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
OK now I'm annoyed. Did an oil change and replaced the drain plug with a new one, made sure to oil the o-ring, and it's leaking again! This time seemingly even more.

What would be the cause of this?

View attachment 21748 View attachment 21749
Is that an aftermarket drain plug? The Ford ones are yellow and that one looks to be orange/redesh.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
Yeah I bought it off rockauto. Think one of the UPRs would fix this issue for me?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Yeah I bought it off rockauto. Think one of the UPRs would fix this issue for me?
It is very possible the UPR plug could fix the problem since it has multiple o-rings verses the single one from the factory design. My UPR has never leaked.

If you decide to go the UPR route, do a thorough inspection of that area for any cracks before installing.