Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil drain plug leaking

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
It is very possible the UPR plug could fix the problem since it has multiple o-rings verses the single one from the factory design. My UPR has never leaked.

If you decide to go the UPR route, do a thorough inspection of that area for any cracks before installing.
Check out this article about the Ford factory plugs being a leak issue.
https://www.ecogard.com/resources/a...d-be-wary-fords-plastic-oil-pans-drain-plugs/

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #22
FYI for the group -

Just got it back from the dealer where they pressure tested the system and confirmed the leak was coming from the drain plug. They replaced with a Ford OEM and no more leaking.

This is odd because I've used the same Dorman brand drain plug from Rockauto on all oil changes since getting the vehicle last August and have only experienced this leak with the past 2. Maybe a fluke, maybe a bad batch. Guess I'll stick with either OEM or might try the UPR since I haven't read of others experiencing issues with it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
FYI for the group -

Just got it back from the dealer where they pressure tested the system and confirmed the leak was coming from the drain plug. They replaced with a Ford OEM and no more leaking.

This is odd because I've used the same Dorman brand drain plug from Rockauto on all oil changes since getting the vehicle last August and have only experienced this leak with the past 2. Maybe a fluke, maybe a bad batch. Guess I'll stick with either OEM or might try the UPR since I haven't read of others experiencing issues with it.
Did you buy a box of Doorman plugs or one at a time? I ask because I bought a box of 5 but haven't used them yet. Wondering about shelf life.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #24
Did you buy a box of Doorman plugs or one at a time? I ask because I bought a box of 5 but haven't used them yet. Wondering about shelf life.
I buy them individually. First one I used lasted 4 months (only 1k miles though) before it started leaking. The 2nd one started leaking immediately, as well as the 3rd one. The 2nd and 3rd plugs were purchased together from Rockauto and installed same weekend, so might have been a bad batch but it's something I definitely won't chance again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I buy them individually. First one I used lasted 4 months (only 1k miles though) before it started leaking. The 2nd one started leaking immediately, as well as the 3rd one. The 2nd and 3rd plugs were purchased together from Rockauto and installed same weekend, so might have been a bad batch but it's something I definitely won't chance again.
Thanks, I see that the OEM plug has a different color o-ring, it has been my experience that the black o-rings are a harder compound than the green o-rings. Thinking I'll just order OEM plugs one at a time.