Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil change

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'd certainly consider one if it came to market.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I prefer the oil extraction method some have mentioned and use any quality filter with Mobil 1 Extended Performance every 10K miles.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
I have the UPR drain plug..... next up, the trap door shown in post #14..... very cool!

Attachments

OP
Exist2Resist
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #24
Is the oil filter housing opening also where you fill the car with oil?

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Is the oil filter housing opening also where you fill the car with oil?
Nope, there is an oil cap back further on the other side. Nothing is real easy to get to but not too difficult either.

OP
Exist2Resist
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #26
Oops, filled it through the oil filter opening. I got impatient.

I found that "1 1/16" socket worked best for the oil filter housing.

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I ordered this to fit snug in the oil fill cap location. No more spills especially with the Steeda strut brace in the way.
Lisle 19612 Multi-Application Oil Funnel (19912) https://a.co/d/5EEdMFG

zorro

U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
OK so I changed the oil today 2022 ST, what a complete non-sensical set up - the covering with the push pins and little bolts - are completely and utterly stupid engineering. Not to mention they put the cartridge filter and fill whole almost directly under the front upper hood stabilizer bar.

One more thing it calls for 6 quarts however be advised (I have a lift) so I was able to let this sit and drain until zero oil was dripping out. Lift is 100% level. Being a veteran of self oil changes I am well aware not to fill to prescribed levels for this reason - (read on)

After sealing drain plug, putting the ridiculous fiber cover back into place, changing the cartridge filter (with the absolutely ASS butt little round gasket at the top) that is almost impossible to get off *another fucked up Ford BS part*. I poured 5 quarts, started and ran for a minute. Checked oil it was down, put in half a quart and it registered right in the middle of the dipstick. sealed everything up. Ran it on the lift looked for leaks, checked cartridge for leaks everything fine. Took it down off the lift and went uptown for a coffee 25 minute drive. Came back and the stick read right smack in the middle, so it's 5.5 QUARTS for my Explorer ST. Don't trust what the say or read put in 5 and add as needed. It's alot easier to add then to take out...‍♂️

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's why many of us do oil vacuum extraction. Also, you better check it again...Mine is always 6 qts exactly but our cars do better with a little extra, especially if you like to launch hard at times.

For the o-rings, just use a pick... easiest oil changes I've done on any car.

Last edited:

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
OK so I changed the oil today 2022 ST, what a complete non-sensical set up - the covering with the push pins and little bolts - are completely and utterly stupid engineering. Not to mention they put the cartridge filter and fill whole almost directly under the front upper hood stabilizer bar.

One more thing it calls for 6 quarts however be advised (I have a lift) so I was able to let this sit and drain until zero oil was dripping out. Lift is 100% level. Being a veteran of self oil changes I am well aware not to fill to prescribed levels for this reason - (read on)

After sealing drain plug, putting the ridiculous fiber cover back into place, changing the cartridge filter (with the absolutely ASS butt little round gasket at the top) that is almost impossible to get off *another fucked up Ford BS part*. I poured 5 quarts, started and ran for a minute. Checked oil it was down, put in half a quart and it registered right in the middle of the dipstick. sealed everything up. Ran it on the lift looked for leaks, checked cartridge for leaks everything fine. Took it down off the lift and went uptown for a coffee 25 minute drive. Came back and the stick read right smack in the middle, so it's 5.5 QUARTS for my Explorer ST. Don't trust what the say or read put in 5 and add as needed. It's alot easier to add then to take out...‍♂️
Just add the other half quart to take you to the full mark.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder

No offense intended with this post but essentially what you are saying is that your engine is different than every other ST 3.0 on the market requiring only 5.5 qts. If the engine is empty, 6 quarts is the number.

A nice little Pick Set (tons of them on Amazon from $6) makes it pretty straightforward to change the filter O-Rings. I found a lid off of a glue bottle that is tapered to start the small O-Ring. Put the O-Ring over the small end and set the tapered lid upon the cartridge shaft and just walk it on. Good for those of us with arthritis.

From the Electronic Owners Manual Page 400. This is addressing the 3.0L engine.

Oil Fill.png

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
yeah... i run 6.5qts with every oil change. when you say "read right smack in the middle", do you mean the middle of the hashed area? if so, then the dipstick is actually showing you as low. you should fill until the oil touches the 2nd hole in the dipstick just above the hashed mark. that would be 6qts. then most tuners have started advising to fill an extra .5qts to prevent starvation under hard launches.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You should use the interval you are most comfortable with. I change mine every 5k simply because I romp on it somewhat regularly. I think it is mildly over maintaining. My previous vehicle, 2500 HD Denali diesel I changed every 9-10k but I also ran oil analysis to come up with that number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST, Rapid Red; 2020 and 2022 STs
Who sells a metal skid plate for this vehicle? I haven't seen one discussed.
Ford Motorsports.. All steel.. PN M-5018-EXP.. About $165 IIRC.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I've always changed the oil and filter in my year 2000 Golf TDI every 6 months (approx 5000miles) , always using the correct VW spec oil and OEM filters. Recently I read a couple of threads where folks stated that changing the oil so frequently was unnecessary and that the interval could be pushed to 8000 miles without any additional engine related wear. So am I overdoing the oil changes and therefore spending money for no good reason? or should I stick with my regime in the knowledge that my engine should last past 100K?
I think every 10K miles is fine with synthetic oil. Enough tests and comments on this forum would also say so. Ford dealers use synthetic blend unless you ask and pay for full synthetic. 5K to 7.5K may be appropriate for that type of oil.