Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil change

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
What kind of oil and filter are people putting in these?
I'm not even sure what oil it takes and how much of it, 5W30 I would assume?
I would prefer to stick to Ams Oil like I do in my 2017 RS.

Also how do you reset the oil service life in the EXST?

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have 15k miles and do an oil change every 5k miles, along with tire rotation and balance. Daily driver for my wife with spirited driving by me on occasions.
I am using a K&N HP-7037 filter.
5W30 synthetic that I get from Costco, 6 qts.
I use a Mityvac 7201 to extract through the dipstick.
You reset the oil life with the car on and in park through the steering wheel menu.

Last edited:

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
What kind of oil and filter are people putting in these?
I'm not even sure what oil it takes and how much of it, 5W30 I would assume?
I would prefer to stick to Ams Oil like I do in my 2017 RS.

Also how do you reset the oil service life in the EXST?
I use motorcraft filter and Pennzoil Ultra Plat 5w-30 (performs just as well as Amsoil signature) and change every 5k.

You are going to get all kinds of answers on oil and filter, use what you like at 5w-30.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
I use Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 every 6 months, for me that's about 4,500 miles and the Ford oem filter in my 2021 Platinum.
Whatever full synthetic oil you choose I strongly recommend 5,000 miles change intervals.

OP
Exist2Resist
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I was planning to change the oil every 6K miles/ 10k KM, using amsoil signature series 5w-30 and an amsoil filter.
Just have to figure out which filter to order.
I do the same thing with my Focus RS using the same brand of oil.

OP
Exist2Resist
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Does that filter look right?
I'm used to the small dome shaped metal cases on a 4 cylinder car.
I've never owned anything above 4 cylinders in my life this is my first SUV.

1666885995237.png

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
It appears to be the right one. These cartridges as you probably already know sit on top of the engine.

OP
Exist2Resist
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
It appears to be the right one. These cartridges as you probably already know sit on top of the engine.
Yeah just watched a Explorer ST oil change video, a bit of a tight squeeze at the top there to get the filter out and the oil in.
That plastic oil pan and drain plug though, ewww, I might have to get a proper skid plate.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah just watched a Explorer ST oil change video, a bit of a tight squeeze at the top there to get the filter out and the oil in.
That plastic oil pan and drain plug though, ewww, I might have to get a proper skid plate.
I’d recommend getting the UPR drain plug. Lots of people swapping over to eliminate that plastic oil plug that is supposed to be replaced every oil change.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I’d recommend getting the UPR drain plug. Lots of people swapping over to eliminate that plastic oil plug that is supposed to be replaced every oil change.
I also use the UPR and have quite liked it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Using an extension on the socket to remove the filter makes changing it a breeze. The toughest part of the job is replacing the little O-Ring.

OP
Exist2Resist
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Got a link to that?

OP
Exist2Resist
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Found it in this video ...

OP
Exist2Resist
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
Nice mod.
I'd like a full metal skid plate though. 1 large piece of ice on the highway and say goodbye to that plastic oil pan, I've seen it happen with metal oil pans as well.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Who sells a metal skid plate for this vehicle? I haven't seen one discussed.

Reactions
I would love to have a skid plate for my ST. It probably would not be hard to fab as the fibre cover appears to be pretty flat, but looks could be decieving.

F=MA

Reactions
Kudos for thinking out of the box !! I still have that oil plug sitting in the tool box. One note on the MityVac 7201 oil suction pump... it seems if the engine is not fully warmed up the smallest extraction tube will not go all the way down the dipstick orifice and you can't get all the oil out. Makes sense the engine parts had not fully expanded yet including the inside diameter of any orifices. The time of year and the temp in the garage could also expand and contract the smallest plastic extraction tube of the MityVac 7201. So two oil changes with no issues then the last one, with minimal warm up, was an issue getting the tube in all the way. ;)

Last edited:
OP
Exist2Resist
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #20