Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil catch cans

Reactions
i just installed ours a couple weeks ago, did a trip to palm springs and back and some around town driving and it has about 1/4 ounce in it already. maybe 500 miles.

already bought two more for my f150.
Good to meet someone in my neck of the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Just check my JLT yesterday had about 10cc after 1200 miles IMG_20210416_173643.jpg

Reactions
Which side would be the best to order, Passenger side ... Drivers Side,... Does it matter ??

Reactions
I've never used catch cans on my Ecoboost Ford's. 116k on the SHO(3.5) and 60k on the F150 (2.7)
This engine, 3.0, is both direct and port injected to prevent build up on the back of the valves.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
...This engine, 3.0, is both direct and port injected to prevent build up on the back of the valves.
Yeah, the 3.0's are like their early little brother 2.7's and do not use port injection. I think that is reserved for the Gen2 and beyond 2.7's and 3.5's. Either this or they just forgot to throw mine in. ;)

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Reactions
This engine, 3.0, is both direct and port injected to prevent build up on the back of the valves.
Nope! The 3.0 is only direct and a catch can is highly recommended.

Reactions
Nope! The 3.0 is only direct and a catch can is highly recommended.

Really? I thought Ford went to port and direct with the 3.0..... hum....

LokiWolf

Reactions
Really? I thought Ford went to port and direct with the 3.0..... hum....

Nope.

Reactions
I was shocked to get to know 2021 3.0L GDI Turbo engine doesn't have dual port injection! Just ordered my JLT.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I was shocked to get to know 2021 3.0L GDI Turbo engine doesn't have dual port injection! Just ordered my JLT.
Most motors nowadays do not have Dual injection. Dual injection is the Exception, not the rule. Only 3 motors in Fords lineup have it. 2nd Gen 3.5 EB, 2nd Gen 2.7 EB, and 3rd Gen 5.0 Coyote. The 3.0 is still 1st Gen.

Reactions
Most motors nowadays do not have Dual injection. Dual injection is the Exception, not the rule. Only 3 motors in Fords lineup have it. 2nd Gen 3.5 EB, 2nd Gen 2.7 EB, and 3rd Gen 5.0 Coyote. The 3.0 is still 1st Gen.

But Toyotas and Hondas are doing it almost everywhere nowadays.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have looked at numerous SAE papers (and you can too) about non port injected GDI engines and valve deposits. From an engineering perspective, I'm not sure why the 2.7 and 3.0 don't have the same port injection as the newer gen 3.5 engines (cost is definitely a factor). Trying to give Ford a break, it's possible (just possible) that with the intended use of that engine, and the fact that they'll spend a lot of time doing highway mileage with a modified "Miller cycle" (late intake valve closing to minimize low VE/part throttle pumping losses) that Ford believes that a strategy of using late closing intake combined with an earlier fuel spray will result in more fuel making its way back into the intake manifold. This would help to lower the deposits on intake valves. But I'm just not convinced. The evidence is very clear that you need to make sure you're running the very best oil and filters and you should have a catch can if you don't wish to see valve deposits.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
To follow up on this post, I would especially encourage anyone buying a "tune" to take this into account. Part of the tuning, especially for "torque" production (higher HP at lower RPMS) would probably include playing with the cam and injection timing which could defeat Miller cycle valve "washing". So, if you have a tune, you need to have a catch-can. I'd be interested in any tuner that wishes to chime in on this subject.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
My 2019 F150 3.5eb occasionally had the ecoboost shudder when I'd floor it on the inerstate. It sent me into limp mode twice. Do catch cans help prevent that?
Good reading here. I'll probably end up with the JLT. I don't want this ST doing the funky chicken on the interstate when I give her the beans. :LOL:
I'm already waiting on the dealer to fix my camshaft solenoids for the cold start rattle.

Reactions
Had mine on for 6400 miles so far with one 3500 mile road trip. Total so far is 22 ml. When first installed I emptied 10 ml in 1200 miles now it has slowed down quite a bit is still worth the money just for peace of mind that it preventing/minimizing carbon build up.

Last edited:
Reactions
My 2019 F150 3.5eb occasionally had the ecoboost shudder when I'd floor it on the inerstate. It sent me into limp mode twice. Do catch cans help prevent that?
Good reading here. I'll probably end up with the JLT. I don't want this ST doing the funky chicken on the interstate when I give her the beans. :LOL:
I'm already waiting on the dealer to fix my camshaft solenoids for the cold start rattle.
Is there a TSB for the camshaft solenoids / rattling issue?

Reactions
Received my JLT catch can, went to install it today...you know the "15 minutes install". Not so much.
Was a PITA trying to get the original hose unclipped.
Then the install, while attaching the threaded J-clip to the radiator support, note it doesn't just press on, it requires a tap from a hammer to get it in place - make sure the j-clip doesn't bounce off the radiator support and fall into oblivion when tapped.
Attaching the JLT can bracket after is easy, one screw.
Attaching the can to the bracket, also easy & straight forward.

As for the hoses, I found the entire unit to be under stress when installed as described. Hoses were tight & pulling. The caution about making sure the bracket doesn't touch the the small coolant hose proximal to it, should read not to touch the 90 degree elbow that is connected to the coolant hose. The bracket doesn't touch the coolant hose, it can touch the 90 degree elbow the coolant hose is attached to. Either way, the entire system was under tension, pulling the can & bracket towards the elbow. I'm not sure I could torque the bolt that secures the bracket to the radiator support enough to keep the can from resting on the coolant hose elbow.

Another issue with the hoses under tension, unclipping the JLT hoses after installation. Again a PITA, when the hoses & clips are being pulled away from center on the male attachment points. I removed the catch can from its bracket to take the pressure off and easily the clips would unclip easily. When everything is attached & secured, the hoses are pulled and the clips do not readily release.

I called JLT about the easy 15 minute install, stating that the entire system looks under stress or tension when installed. I was told the the hoses are a specific length for manufacture purpose. However when I measured the length of the hoses I have on the kit I received, they came up short by ~ 1/8 inch. In manufacture process JLT figures the hoses I have could of been cut short.

JLT is sending me longer hoses to use, while cutting off the original ones. Thank you to JLT for you assistance, support and solution.

So now I wait, but I have to say this was anything but a 15 minute job. I've found the hoses are too tight. Anyone else have issues with install or find the hoses are stretched too tight upon installation?

Over the years I've worked on all of my vehicles, oil changes, brakes, struts & shocks, engine rebuilds, etc. So its not like I'm a novice with things mechanical and this 15 minute install was not so much.