Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil catch cans

Reactions
The nice thing about the Mishimoto can is that it uses custom molded hoses and aluminum fittings. With the JLT, it's a tight fit with the supplied hoses and you have plastic fittings that could easily break. The reality is, however, that anyone can buy a generic can for around $25, fabricate a bracket, and run hoses as you see fit. It just becomes a matter of convenience, and brand loyalty.

LokiWolf

Reactions
The nice thing about the Mishimoto can is that it uses custom molded hoses and aluminum fittings. With the JLT, it's a tight fit with the supplied hoses and you have plastic fittings that could easily break. The reality is, however, that anyone can buy a generic can for around $25, fabricate a bracket, and run hoses as you see fit. It just becomes a matter of convenience, and brand loyalty.
The JLT hoses are measured for the particular application. They have a few that went out with hoses a little short. The rest of us had it installed in less than 15 minutes, and that is being generous. No issues with the bracket, or hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
The JLT hoses are measured for the particular application. They have a few that went out with hoses a little short. The rest of us had it installed in less than 15 minutes, and that is being generous. No issues with the bracket, or hoses.

They take about 5 minutes to install - not the point. The tight fit of the hoses puts stress on the plastic elbows, which I’ve seen break in Mustang applications. Was happy to just pay a bit extra for the Mishimoto kit with specific custom hoses rather than spend the time fabricating a bracket and routing longer, straight hoses without the tension.

LokiWolf

Reactions
They take about 5 minutes to install - not the point. The tight fit of the hoses puts stress on the plastic elbows, which I’ve seen break in Mustang applications. Was happy to just pay a bit extra for the Mishimoto kit with specific custom hoses rather than spend the time fabricating a bracket and routing longer, straight hoses without the tension.
That is the point. Mine are not tight. Neither are others. I have heard of a single failure. I have have had 3 JLT cans, on 5 vehicles. I have moved one can to 3 different Expeditions. The first of was totaled in a front end collision, and the JLT was barely damaged, so I moved it to the replacement. You keep using one persons issues, as your example. JLT uses specific length hoses per application. No different than Mishimoto. Not saying the Mishimoto kit isn’t good, but talking down another valid well made kit is not the way to promote their kit…

Reactions
They aren’t ‘taking down’ the kit. I am. I installed one briefly on my ST - in a matter of minutes - and didn’t like how tight the hoses were. Simple as that.

The plastic elbows I’ve seen snap in the Mustang community also turned me off to their products. More than once. The custom kit I have on my ‘03 Cobra was less than $50 and could have easily been duplicated here had I been motivated. Since I wasn’t, the Mishimoto kit was a perfect way to go. To each his own. You can search eBay all day long and find nice billet cans for $20 or so and put in a bit of labor to make up a decent kit easily.

LokiWolf

Reactions
They aren’t ‘taking down’ the kit. I am. I installed one briefly on my ST - in a matter of minutes - and didn’t like how tight the hoses were. Simple as that.

The plastic elbows I’ve seen snap in the Mustang community also turned me off to their products. More than once. The custom kit I have on my ‘03 Cobra was less than $50 and could have easily been duplicated here had I been motivated. Since I wasn’t, the Mishimoto kit was a perfect way to go. To each his own. You can search eBay all day long and find nice billet cans for $20 or so and put in a bit of labor to make up a decent kit easily.
Then why not call JLT and have them send you longer hoses? Seems like an easy solution. Their customer service is top notch.

Doesn’t look tight to me, and VERY little stress on those plastic fittings you keep mentioning.

I launched mine hard MANY times with it installed. ZERO issues.

PS - it is talk NOT take…

Reactions
I have my reasons for not preferring anything by JLT - goes back many years. Enough said. Zero desire to bother with requesting longer hoses, which the kit I fit sorely needed. Good for you if you dig the stuff and get in your launches.

I’ll get right on that typo correction…

LokiWolf

Reactions
I have my reasons for not preferring anything by JLT - goes back many years. Enough said. Zero desire to bother with requesting longer hoses, which the kit I fit sorely needed. Good for you if you dig the stuff and get in your launches.

I’ll get right on that typo correction…
So why buy the kit if you have so many issues with them?

Enjoy the Mishimoto kit.

Reactions
So why buy the kit if you have so many issues with them?

Enjoy the Mishimoto kit.

Well, since I should have apparently run it by you: got it lightly used for much less than its new cost. Figured I’d see if it would change my opinion on the product line. It didn’t. The Mishimoto kit coincidentally came out at the same time and saved me from fabricating my own bracket. Easy enough.

Reactions
A rep I chatted with last weed told me they should be shipping in the next couple weeks. Apparently they are on the way to distributors, for what that is worth.
The email I received from Mishimoto on sunday for the order I placed a week ago says 8-10 weeks due to an inventory discrepancy. The JLT showed up yesterday and will go on until the other arrives

Reactions
That’s a generic message - have received it a few times. A phone call gave me different information.

LokiWolf

Reactions
That’s a generic message - have received it a few times. A phone call gave me different information.
And that was? For those that aren’t as well connected and all knowing as you…

Reactions
And that was? For those that aren’t as well connected and all knowing as you…

Stalker alert.

He quoted my 'connected and all-knowing' information right in his post (This will help you ---> Linky).

LokiWolf

Reactions
Stalker alert.

He quoted my 'connected and all-knowing' information right in his post (This will help you ---> Linky).
“Next Couple of weeks”…yep. That is vague.

Was seeing if you had anything more concrete…

There is this thing called “notifications” in the modern world. Apps and websites notify you when there is a reply to things you are following. I follow many threads on here. So I read and reply. Hard concept?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions

There is this thing called “notifications” in the modern world. Apps and websites notify you when there is a reply to things you are following. I follow many threads on here. So I read and reply. Hard concept?

And your point is.....? You like the JLT? Cool. Someone else prefers the Mishimoto? Cool.

LokiWolf

Reactions
And your point is.....? You like the JLT? Cool. Someone else prefers the Mishimoto? Cool.
To be clear. I have said ZERO negative about the Mishimoto kit. It looks like a great kit. I was simply defending the JLT. The statements made were based on a small selection, and not the majority of kits. There is even an owner of the JLOSC(JLT’s new Catch Can division), that they sent longer replacements to. No issues.

Yes, I like the JLOSC kit, cause it does a good job for a good price, and like [mention]jrgoffin [/mention] said, I don’t have to build it myself. Just flat up don’t have time for that anymore.

I have even made the statement on here that the UPR kit is better than any kit that only collects on one side. It requires way more work, for only a marginal difference in filtering, and costs more than double. Not worth it to me. It is a better kit though in my opinion than JLOSC and Mishimoto.

Reactions
I figured it was. I contacted a large volume distributor and asked if they had it in stock. I was told no, and it was going to be north of a month

Reactions

For someone who is such a JLT nut-swinger, you sure are way too concerned about what Mishimoto is doing. I passed along the information I had, and since it's a new release and purchased on a pre-buy, I figure it will show up soon enough. Couldn't really care less.

LokiWolf

Reactions
For someone who is such a JLT nut-swinger, you sure are way too concerned about what Mishimoto is doing. I passed along the information I had, and since it's a new release and purchased on a pre-buy, I figure it will show up soon enough. Couldn't really care less.
Nut-Swinger? Did you even read my post above? I could honestly not care when the Mishimoto ships, or shows up. You corrected a previous post where somebody got a direct message from Mishimoto saying 8-10 weeks. You spoke to a “guy” that said a “couple of weeks”…and when asked on more clarity on that this is the BS you gave. Yep…have fun.

Last edited:

Tenrten

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Question; I’ve looked and can’t find a Ford performance catch can/oil separator anybody know if Ford‘s going to come out with there own product as they did with the GT 350?