Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil catch cans

Reactions
Installed a JLT catch can today. Wow soooo easy. I literally have trouble adding coolant and wiper fluid. Was intimidated at first before buying but the instructions and build made this a breeze. Took me Ten minutes start to finish after watching a video

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
What is the can mounted on?

Reactions
Installed my JLT today took less then 10 minutes. I will check it in a couple of weeks to see what it collected.

JgST

Reactions
I have a Jlt Installed. I Liked the UPR better but, as was stated JLT doesnt require anything permanent, so u can remove the lines in about 4 mins and replace if it needs service. Never need to worry about the warranty hassles.

F=MA

Reactions
Changed my oil yesterday. Bet I have over 4000 miles on the UPR catch can since it was installed. I would say I had less than one ounce of oil/fuel vapor mix in that time. I guess I was expecting a bit more over that time period.

Reactions
Changed my oil yesterday. Bet I have over 4000 miles on the UPR catch can since it was installed. I would say I had less than one ounce of oil/fuel vapor mix in that time. I guess I was expecting a bit more over that time period.
I’ve got 4,000 miles on mine now and I have less oil than you do. Weird.

Reactions
I’ve got 4,000 miles on mine now and I have less oil than you do. Weird.
Weird or did you by into a solution looking for a problem hyped up just to get your cash.

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I'm sure results will vary, but I just emptied my catch can a few minutes ago. This is after driving approximately 5,000 miles with the JLT unit. There was more oil than I was expecting....along with some foamy mung in the bottom of the can.

Attachments

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I'm sure results will vary, but I just emptied my catch can a few minutes ago. This is after driving approximately 5,000 miles with the JLT unit. There was more oil than I was expecting....along with some foamy mung in the bottom of the can.
I would think with that much in catch can , you would see it show lower on your dipstick.

Ya think?

Jim

Reactions
So let me ask the question, where would this oil go if not captured in the can?

F=MA

Reactions
Supposedly burnt onto the back side of the valves.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
it doesn't, and its why catch cans are one of the first things that most people install on engines that are solely direct injected.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I would think with that much in catch can , you would see it show lower on your dipstick.

Ya think?

Jim
Some of that is not oil but water and fuel vapor.

Especially being that this drain was over the Winter.

On the JLT setup you see less fluid in the warmer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Some of that is not oil but water and fuel vapor.

Especially being that this drain was over the Winter.

On the JLT setup you see less fluid in the warmer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is good to know. Just installed the UPR can. The pro series check valves supposedly result in heavier can deposits. Not sure when to check. Going to look in 500 miles to see if there’s anything there. Do you guys clean the filter every time you empty it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions
This is good to know. Just installed the UPR can. The pro series check valves supposedly result in heavier can deposits. Not sure when to check. Going to look in 500 miles to see if there’s anything there. Do you guys clean the filter every time you empty it?

I don't have the UPR. I empty the JLT every 3K or so, and clean it about once a year really good by removing it, and rinsing it out real good with soapy water, and clean water and letting dry while I am washing the car, then reinstall. That is me...

Reactions
Weird or did you by into a solution looking for a problem hyped up just to get your cash.
Weird in that there’s so little oil in the can. I had one on a 7.0 LS7 and another on a 5.3 and both had many times as much oil in less miles. The only thing I can figure is that this engine is tighter.

Reactions
I don't have the UPR. I empty the JLT every 3K or so, and clean it about once a year really good by removing it, and rinsing it out real good with soapy water, and clean water and letting dry while I am washing the car, then reinstall. That is me...
Thanks

Reactions
i just installed ours a couple weeks ago, did a trip to palm springs and back and some around town driving and it has about 1/4 ounce in it already. maybe 500 miles.

already bought two more for my f150.