Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Thread

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
How is that joking? Other than upr and their driver side separator valve, I have not seen anyone else offer a driver side catch can.

I could take a jlt one and put it driver side as I have a after market intake and removed the orange clip line.

Reactions
How is that joking? Other than upr and their driver side separator valve, I have not seen anyone else offer a driver side catch can.

I could take a jlt one and put it driver side as I have an after market intake and removed the orange clip line.
Sorry, your post read like you thought you might need a catch can for each side of the engine; right and left cylinder banks. That’s not what you meant, is it? I have a UPR catch can that’s mounted on the driver’s side of the engine bay, but I suppose you could mount it on the passenger side, if you felt the need to. You do know that no matter what side it’s mounted on, the entire crankcase vents through it, not just the side it’s mounted on.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Right, that is not my question. Other than UPR, no one offers just a driver-side catch can. JLT only is a passenger-side can which is the one I have already installed and have had for a long time. For the driver side, no one lists a driver-side option unless you are to assume that the passenger one can work there.

Or just buy a UPR to cover both of them is the only option?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
You really are confusing with your question.
JLT and Mishimoto offerings come with mounting brackets and supplies to utilize passenger side mounting in engine bay. UPR comes with mounting brackets to install on driver's side. It's basically just where each company chose to use empty space. You can mount any of them anywhere you please in the engine compartment as long as you are handy and feel like fabricating up the hoses and brackets yourself. Otherwise take your pick and use the manufacturers kit

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hes talking about clean and dirty side, so it works under vacuum and boost.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
You really are confusing with your question.
JLT and Mishimoto offerings come with mounting brackets and supplies to utilize passenger side mounting in engine bay. UPR comes with mounting brackets to install on driver's side. It's basically just where each company chose to use empty space. You can mount any of them anywhere you please in the engine compartment as long as you are handy and feel like fabricating up the hoses and brackets yourself. Otherwise take your pick and use the manufacturers kit
Not sure how it is confusing? Why does only 1 company offer a driver-side catch can (UPR and the part on the crank case is a vavle system)? Everyone else only offers the passenger-side only catch can.

I am just going to buy another JLT and plug it into the drive side as the cost wise is the same as just getting a UPR setup. I can't find any real reason why not to do it at this point.

Reactions
Not sure how it is confusing? Why does only 1 company offer a driver-side catch can (UPR and the part on the crank case is a vavle system)? Everyone else only offers the passenger-side only catch can.

I am just going to buy another JLT and plug it into the drive side as the cost wise is the same as just getting a UPR setup. I can't find any real reason why not to do it at this point.
You’re VERY confusing. So you’re going to buy “another” JLT can so you’ll be using TWO catch cans; one on the passenger side and one on the driver side? Why? That will not work and is pointless anyway. There are three ports on the can: one goes to manifold vacuum, another to your intake tube (ahead of the throttle body to create vacuum to the can under boost or wide open throttle), and one to the crankcase. There’s an optional separate piece called an Electronic Clean Side Separator. That connects to your driver side valve cover. You don’t need two cans and it doesn’t matter what side you mount one on.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Electronic Clean Side Separator is what I know UPR uses for the driver side. I can't find that part by itself that would plug and play as the UPR does.

The reason for all the questions is the AFE intake I installed uses that new vent tube that looks like it would suck in a lot of oil in a blowby condition.

So other than UPR and or finding an Electronic Clean Side Separator that can plug and play, what are people doing for the driver side when you already have a Passenger only side? Hucking it and just going UPR?

Reactions
Electronic Clean Side Separator is what I know UPR uses for the driver side. I can't find that part by itself that would plug and play as the UPR does.

The reason for all the questions is the AFE intake I installed uses that new vent tube that looks like it would suck in a lot of oil in a blowby condition.

So other than UPR and or finding an Electronic Clean Side Separator that can plug and play, what are people doing for the driver side when you already have a Passenger only side? Hucking it and just going UPR?
The ECSS is in addition to the crankcase venting that’s already done from the passenger side valve cover. The ECSS has nothing to do with just the the driver’s side of the motor, it just happens to be where it’s located. I’m not entirely sure how it functions, but it is connected to the wiring harness. It does have something to do with venting while under boost and personally, I don’t think it does much at all. It collects oil and the lets it drip back down into the crankcase so you don’t need to empty it. It’s a very tiny bit too.The passenger side port that’s used on our motors also vents the entire crankcase, not just the passenger side. If it was on the drivers side valve cover, it would still vent the entire crankcase. There’s only one crankcase and it can be vented from anyplace; even the oil pan, but that would not be practical at all. Either valve cover is the logical place for PCV plumbing.

Last edited:
Reactions