Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New SYNC Update 23188

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You need to upload that XML file to Ford. Go back to the Ford owners site and look at the instructions for installing the Sync update via USB. At the end, there is a link to upload that file. When you click the link, it will open your computer's directory and you just point to that file and upload. Ford will instantly update your current version to 23188.

hbalek

Reactions
You need to upload that XML file to Ford. Go back to the Ford owners site and look at the instructions for installing the Sync update via USB. At the end, there is a link to upload that file. When you click the link, it will open your computer's directory and you just point to that file and upload. Ford will instantly update your current version to 23188.
Yup that's what I did last weekend and it worked like a charm. BTW, I never paid for a map update but I got a free one back in early May and tried to download and install it last weekend via USB and it failed. I think maybe the license is expired after several months sitting in my email inbox. Anyone know how long a free map download is good for?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thanks for your help. I was just online chatting with ford and Brianna told me that the file method is no longer available. She said to have the car hook up to WiFi, enable automatic updates, turn off the car and then ford will be notified in a couple of days

Reactions
Thanks for your help. I was just online chatting with ford and Brianna told me that the file method is no longer available. She said to have the car hook up to WiFi, enable automatic updates, turn off the car and then ford will be notified in a couple of days
Brianna is incorrect. I just did the update yesterday and uploaded the file this morning. The file method is still available, 100%.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Brianna is incorrect. I just did the update yesterday and uploaded the file this morning. The file method is still available, 100%.
Ford is wrong… I’m shocked, I tell you!!

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #87
That is the way to do it. Just make sure you don't try to open the xml file.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
That is the way to do it. Just make sure you don't try to open the xml file.
It worked!
Thanks everybody for your help, I was to wash my hands of it and get the dealer to do it $$$.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
When I tried to upload the file, it said "There appears there is an issue with the uploaded log file. Our team will review shortly and update your account to reflect the current version of SYNC in your vehicle."

I guess that's really the least of my concerns at this point. As long as I have the right version in the vehicle, it doesn't really mater what the ford website thinks I have.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
When I tried to upload the file, it said "There appears there is an issue with the uploaded log file. Our team will review shortly and update your account to reflect the current version of SYNC in your vehicle."
I did just like Dale said. It worked almost instantaneously

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

I guess that's really the least of my concerns at this point. As long as I have the right version in the vehicle, it doesn't really mater what the ford website thinks I have.
As long as it fixed the SYNC issues, that’s a good thing. The input I received on this forum was invaluable.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yup that's what I did last weekend and it worked like a charm. BTW, I never paid for a map update but I got a free one back in early May and tried to download and install it last weekend via USB and it failed. I think maybe the license is expired after several months sitting in my email inbox. Anyone know how long a free map download is good for?
Not sure. I just downloaded them yesterday. In no rush to do it but maybe I should get to it if it expires. I just don’t want to leave my car running for an hour to update maps.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #94
Not sure. I just downloaded them yesterday. In no rush to do it but maybe I should get to it if it expires. I just don’t want to leave my car running for an hour to update maps.
Did you check to see if it would update OTA?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Did you check to see if it would update OTA?
I didn’t think map updates come from ota. You either have them send you a usb or you download the files yourself and do it via usb.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #96
I didn’t think map updates come from ota. You either have them send you a usb or you download the files yourself and do it via usb.
I'm not sure. It was just a hunch.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I THINK that maps updates are only available by downloading them to flash drive. That and paying $40 to ford for a predownloaded flash drive. The website told me that I get 1 complimentary maps update. I usually plug my phone in and use Google maps on CarPlay

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Quick question to who ever has installed it and been using it for the past week.
Has any of the original memory issues came back?

Asking because I was talking to my dealer, and I was told that this new one may not fix the original issues and it's a temporary update from Ford.

The person on the phone might be wrong, as they might be looking to avoid a (my) second visit.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Quick question to who ever has installed it and been using it for the past week.
Has any of the original memory issues came back?

Asking because I was talking to my dealer, and I was told that this new one may not fix the original issues and it's a temporary update from Ford.

The person on the phone might be wrong, as they might be looking to avoid a (my) second visit.
It's not a temporary fix. Just install it! If you still have issues, make sure you master reset after installing 23188 (which I do after any Sync update anyways).

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It's not a temporary fix. Just install it! If you still have issues, make sure you master reset after installing 23188 (which I do after any Sync update anyways).
Why do you do a master reset?

Explorer ST Posts