Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Sync 3 Version 3.4.22251

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Is there yet a Ford release date for 23188. I had to take it back down to 22000 to keep my sanity. 22251 is an absolute programming atrocity.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is there yet a Ford release date for 23188. I had to take it back down to 22000 to keep my sanity. 22251 is an absolute programming atrocity.
No one knows if it will be an official release. I had it on 22200 before I went to 23188. 22200 is SOLID. Don't even sweat 23188 right now if you don't want to risk anything.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Alright kids, I'm done trying to figure this out, tried past two days to update software to 23188 only to keep getting ERR08 and to redownload and try again! Tried it with just the app no grace notes or voice then tried a few times with to only get ERR08. Master reset only freezes so I've done several soft resets, then tried 222000 several times to still get ERR08 and to try again. Cdubya, thanks for your help, not sure why my ST is not working, but thank you! have a good weekend, we can only laugh at fords incompetence at this point, lol

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
SnoopST, you've got a bad case there. Not even sure Ford is going to be able to fix things once the new version bows in, unless they have some way to free up memory because in cases like yours, there isn't enough memory to even change version.

hbalek

Reactions
SnoopST, you've got a bad case there. Not even sure Ford is going to be able to fix things once the new version bows in, unless they have some way to free up memory because in cases like yours, there isn't enough memory to even change version.
I would recommend deleting phone from Bluetooth may free up some more space to do master reset. Or you need a new APIM.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would recommend deleting phone from Bluetooth may free up some more space to do master reset. Or you need a new APIM.
Did that and shut wifi Bluetooth off to no avail, ST is out of warranty by time a few months only have 31200 miles hoping for will grace me an APIM at least then update 23188

hbalek

Reactions
Did that and shut wifi Bluetooth off to no avail, ST is out of warranty by time a few months only have 31200 miles hoping for will grace me an APIM at least then update 23188
I'm out of warranty too but last year bought an ESP with $100 deductible so mine should be covered.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm out of warranty too but last year bought an ESP with $100 deductible so mine should be covered.
I have an extended warranty as well but shouldn’t have to use it yet since this is fords fault in my opinion

hbalek

Reactions
I have an extended warranty as well but shouldn’t have to use it yet since this is fords fault in my opinion
I totally agree! This is why I'm waiting...

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thanks for the quick reply!

HR = Factory reset option in the Sync 3.4 settings menu
SR = Power Button + Fast Forward

Thanks for the clarification on the keep current maps.
About to attempt this on my '21. Couple of questions before I dive in:

- Do I need a USB 3.0+ thumb drive or does an older version work?
- Is an 8.0GB thumb drive big enough?
- Do I let the Syn3Updater format my USB thumb drive? I already updated the USB thumb drive to exFat.
- Do I leave the car running during the update process, or only have ACC power on?
- I have Nav so do I select the Maps option in the configuratiom but don't select the update option?
- Do I turn off Wi-Fi (and anything else?) and disconnect any devices before updating?

I watched the tutorial which raised more questions than answers...

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
About to attempt this on my '21. Couple of questions before I dive in:

- Do I need a USB 3.0+ thumb drive or does an older version work?
- Is an 8.0GB thumb drive big enough?
- Do I let the Syn3Updater format my USB thumb drive? I already updated the USB thumb drive to exFat.
- Do I leave the car running during the update process, or only have ACC power on?
- I have Nav so do I select the Maps option in the configuration but don't select the update option?
- Do I turn off Wi-Fi (and anything else?) and disconnect any devices before updating?

I watched the tutorial which raised more questions than answers...
3.0 will be faster and that's what I used but i'm sure an older one will do.

I used a 16 GB stick so i'm not sure as to the min needed, but if you don't have enough available on the drive it will tell you that.

I formatted mine then just let the updater do it again for good measure.

It is recommended to have it running but I did mine with a trickle charger on and in full ACC power on and engine off.

You have to select Nav in the first screen but when it ask you which Nav to update to just select keep current maps from drop down menu.

I did not turn off Wifi or disconnect any of my connected phones when I did mine.

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Excellent...thanks for the help! Will report back on whether it was a success. So tired of the software issues...

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Glad you guys are getting it worked out! I am having intermittent hiccups but not enough to risk doing the cyanlabs update yet. But will definitely keep this mind in case it gets too bad. I hope Ford releases this update asap though because I know a lot of people out there have no idea about this process.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #274
Glad you guys are getting it worked out! I am having intermittent hiccups but not enough to risk doing the cyanlabs update yet. But will definitely keep this mind in case it gets too bad. I hope Ford releases this update asap though because I know a lot of people out there have no idea about this process.
I'm holding out for it to when ever Ford releases it. The last time I talked with Ford they said they are expecting it to be released sometime in Sept.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hope yours stays working decent until the update! I was unlucky, mine shit the bed one day after the 22251 update. :mad:

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Yeah, not rushing to upgrade to the latest firmware. It really is annoying that they don't release patch-notes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Not sure if this gives ya incite but I had the 2.22 map updates download directly from Ford this past Saturday. When I went to install it, I caught it doing a real quick sync update. I’ve had 22251 for quite some time with really no probs. It said I was updated to 22251 again. So wondering if they included a quick fix file with it. Then it commenced installing the maps which took about an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hope yours stays working decent until the update! I was unlucky, mine shit the bed one day after the 22251 update. :mad:
It’s so intermittent at this point. It is getting annoying though. I’m hoping the rumored sept date is true.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not sure if this gives ya incite but I had the 2.22 map updates download directly from Ford this past Saturday. When I went to install it, I caught it doing a real quick sync update. I’ve had 22251 for quite some time with really no probs. It said I was updated to 22251 again. So wondering if they included a quick fix file with it. Then it commenced installing the maps which took about an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s interesting. I swear I’ve had 22251 for the longest time as well with no issues. Then I trickled charged my ST for a couple of days. Then the issues started. I wondered if I received an update that screwed some things up. Maybe my battery finally had enough juice to do a wifi update. It was strange timing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
That’s interesting. I swear I’ve had 22251 for the longest time as well with no issues. Then I trickled charged my ST for a couple of days. Then the issues started. I wondered if I received an update that screwed some things up. Maybe my battery finally had enough juice to do a wifi update. It was strange timing.
I've had 22251 since shortly after it was released (January-ish), and it just started giving me issues this month. Mostly just not saving preferences like day/night mode, check back seat for passengers, etc. Luckily I hardly notice it because I use Android Auto 95% of the time anyway.