Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Sync 3 Version 3.4.22251

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
Don't let them update to 22251. That's the one that screwed a lot of people on here up. Someone should do a poll to see how many people with this version are experiencing problems. I think there are more people with problems than without. It only gets worse over time but then today all of a sudden I'm seeing some things like map size, closing animation and starting up on Sirius come back but not consistently. I hadn't seen that in months.
Of course today I get in after work and everything worked normally.

Still plan to take it down Monday and have them perform the recall at minimum.

Draco-REX

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I installed 23188 two weeks ago. No problem with the radio. No black screen or other problems.
Thanks. I think I may give it another month or so.

hbalek

Reactions
Funny! My 2020 ST a few days ago started to heal itself miraculously! Sync 3 build 22251 was a disaster for me. But then didn't drive it for 10 days. Came back started her up and tried to pair a new phone and had issues for 2 days. Then on the 3rd day a miracle occurred and now Sync does all the important things including phone pairing, full Nav map, even radio presets often stay and usually stays on Sirius except one or two times. The FordPass started working again too! I hadn't seen the ST closing animation when you turn the car off for 3 months. The screen would stay on the last thing you used it for then go off when you locked the doors. The opening animation never went away though. I hope this isn't just a fluke and doesn't deteriorate over time again. Maybe it will hold out until the new software comes out in September.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How old is your battery?

How many mile do you commute each day?
Not sure how old battery is bought ST in Jan only drive about 12 miles a day

KeithW

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST--2021 F-150 Powerboost
Why doesn't Ford just have a port on the dash with an iPad plugged into it for the Infotainment? Upgrading to the latest tech would be cheap and easy.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Why doesn't Ford just have a port on the dash with an iPad plugged into it for the Infotainment? Upgrading to the latest tech would be cheap and easy.
This would be awesome for the owners, but I’m sure prohibitively expensive for the Apple rights to employ their functionality. I’m also sure the oems are already paying Apple for the rights to have Apple Car Play. Everything costs money! It’s almost always cheaper to keep the hardware and software in-house.

Draco-REX

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
iPads and other tablets aren't designed for the direct sunlight, heat, freezing temperatures, cycling of those temperatures, or vibrations that automotive electronics are engineered to withstand.

Reactions
Apple would never allow it with their closed ecosystem, they would ask to take full ownership of Ford's electronic system's.

Even then, cant even pinch to zoom on maps with Apple Car Play lol Gm is already trying to drop Carplay on future EV cars

KegsBdry

Reactions
Just upgraded my maps and Sync.
I recently went to 22250 and now i'm on 23188 Sync
was on NA 2 21 and now on NA 2 22 Maps.

Used Cyanlabs to update sync first and it took about 15 min and that includes the two soft resets followed by a short sit and restat. Everything worked and looked great! I did not do a hard factory reset.

Then I updated the Map via USB that I downloaded from Ford website. That took about an hour and the system restarted halfway through, it shows a prompt when the update is done.

I was afraid of updating Sync with Cyanlabs but everything went rather smoothly. I chose the option to keep my current maps when updating because I was going to update maps from what I downloaded from the Ford website.

Did you do the soft resets before the Cyanlabs update or after? Got to free up space to load, right?

Please let me know if this order is correct:
1. Hard reset
2. (2) Soft resets
3. Cyanlabs USB update to 23188
4. Keep current maps

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did you do the soft resets before the Cyanlabs update or after? Got to free up space to load, right?

Please let me know if this order is correct:
1. Hard reset
2. (2) Soft resets
3. Cyanlabs USB update to 23188
4. Keep current maps
That is it in a nutshell. The "keep current maps" is what you set in Cyanlabs Sync3Updater software. So to recap: HR + SR + SR + insert upgrade USB (wait for system to fully boot up in between each step).

KegsBdry

Reactions
That is it in a nutshell. The "keep current maps" is what you set in Cyanlabs Sync3Updater software. So to recap: HR + SR + SR + insert upgrade USB (wait for system to fully boot up in between each step).
Thanks for the quick reply!

HR = Factory reset option in the Sync 3.4 settings menu
SR = Power Button + Fast Forward

Thanks for the clarification on the keep current maps.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Also, if you are having memory issues, I would recommend only updating the "app" portion of the 23188 package. In Sync3Updater, simply deselect Gracenotes and Voice. You can later install those two components after successful completion of the app package in the future using Sync3Updater. Updating just the app package should take approximately 15 minutes.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thanks for the quick reply!

HR = Factory reset option in the Sync 3.4 settings menu
SR = Power Button + Fast Forward

Thanks for the clarification on the keep current maps.
Also, if you are having memory issues, I would recommend only updating the "app" portion of the 23188 package. In Sync3Updater, simply deselect Gracenotes and Voice. You can later install those two components after successful completion of the app package in the future using Sync3Updater. Updating just the app package should take approximately 15 minutes.
That might be where it went wrong in the updating process. HR+SR+SR went well. Updating System message showed on the top bar of the Infotainment system. After 25 mins, my car shutoff due to battery drain. No update happened, still using the old version.

I'll reload my USB with just the application. Does Gracenotes & Voice still work, just not updated, right?

KegsBdry

Reactions
Update: It worked!! All these challenges with the infotainment system are now fixed.

It took about 22 mins to update.

Thank you, Cdubya for your help!

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My issues continue to grow with 22251 on top of no Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Ford Pass, half nav screen, no screen at all without soft reset each time I start, no ambient lighting unless I program….now master reset in sync settings freezes to where I have to soft reset, any remedies for this? I’m losing XM completely at times and sync won’t even recognize my phone via usb connection. My patients is at boiling point with Sync “Lack of“ support! Cdubya, youve been helpful, any ideas here?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Some people with really bad memory issues can't get past master reset. I would try two soft resets, then master reset. If it completes the MR, then do the two SR and insert USB update thumbdrive.

The goal with the MR and SR is to free up just enough memory to do the update. You cannot update much later because as soon as you do the sequence, any free space will get eaten up in short order. So first step is really to have your update USB drive created with Sync3Updater and ready to go.

If master reset always hangs, one person I was messaging said they let it hang for about 20 minutes, then when it didn't complete, did two SR and updated successfully. Your mileage may vary. Another reason to update APP only is to save you time. If it works it may take 15-20 minutes but if it doesn't, it might spit out an error message at 45 minutes or so (if memory serves me) and then you have to try something else. I should add that updating with the APP only can be done with ACC only but only after charging up the battery beforehand. Updating APP + Gracenotes + Voice will be 25-30 minutes and you may have to leave the car running. To be on the safe side, you can do the update with the engine running. The car may try to shut itself off after 30 minutes so you may have to monitor progress when and if it gets close to that.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Some people with really bad memory issues can't get past master reset. I would try two soft resets, then master reset. If it completes the MR, then do the two SR and insert USB update thumbdrive.

The goal with the MR and SR is to free up just enough memory to do the update. You cannot update much later because as soon as you do the sequence, any free space will get eaten up in short order. So first step is really to have your update USB drive created with Sync3Updater and ready to go.

If master reset always hangs, one person I was messaging said they let it hang for about 20 minutes, then when it didn't complete, did two SR and updated successfully. Your mileage may vary. Another reason to update APP only is to save you time. If it works it may take 15-20 minutes but if it doesn't, it might spit out an error message at 45 minutes or so (if memory serves me) and then you have to try something else. I should add that updating with the APP only can be done with ACC only but only after charging up the battery beforehand. Updating APP + Gracenotes + Voice will be 25-30 minutes and you may have to leave the car running. To be on the safe side, you can do the update with the engine running. The car may try to shut itself off after 30 minutes so you may have to monitor progress when and if it gets close to that.
There is an option to DISABLE the 30 MIN IDLE in the Vehicle Settings. I turned that off during the process.

I haven't done the GRACENOTES nor VOICE. Do I have to update it? Is there anything NEW of note? Honestly, I'm just happy the Infotainment system is working again.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There is an option to DISABLE the 30 MIN IDLE in the Vehicle Settings. I turned that off during the process.

I haven't done the GRACENOTES nor VOICE. Do I have to update it? Is there anything NEW of note? Honestly, I'm just happy the Infotainment system is working again.
If you don't use those features, you don't have to update those packages. I didn't as I use carplay all the time. Some report glitches to navigation voice but nothing major.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions I’ll give it a shot hopefully I have enough to get this done. Thanks again

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've been running 23188 for 2 weeks now and it's absolutely solid. 22251 was a train wreck with all my presets and car setrings resetting on every startup. This is because some code issue was making the rwdata partition fill up and not recycle itself. So eventually the APIM runs out of memory.

Ford really F-ed up releasing that software to the public. I heard it resulted in a sh1t ton of APIM claims for warranty so they had to fast track a code fix, which, may be released soon over the normal update channels.

If you want the update today, Cyanlabs.net is the play like the previous poster said. VERY important to do the master reset, 2 soft resets first. Then I even did a master and 2 soft resets after the update. I figured wouldn't hurt.

Since then my whole setup has been working great.