Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Sync 3 Version 3.4.22251

hbalek

Reactions
I've been running 23188 for 2 weeks now and it's absolutely solid. 22251 was a train wreck with all my presets and car setrings resetting on every startup. This is because some code issue was making the rwdata partition fill up and not recycle itself. So eventually the APIM runs out of memory.

Ford really F-ed up releasing that software to the public. I heard it resulted in a sh1t ton of APIM claims for warranty so they had to fast track a code fix, which, may be released soon over the normal update channels.

If you want the update today, Cyanlabs.net is the play like the previous poster said. VERY important to do the master reset, 2 soft resets first. Then I even did a master and 2 soft resets after the update. I figured wouldn't hurt.

Since then my whole setup has been working great.
I'm looking forward to this shangrila LMAO and I will turn off automatic updates and for 3 more years drive the damn thing with this version of Sync 3. Let the next owner deal with future versions.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm looking forward to this shangrila LMAO and I will turn off automatic updates and for 3 more years drive the damn thing with this version of Sync 3. Let the next owner deal with future versions.
Believe it or not 22251 gave me no trouble. Been running 23188 for a week now also with no issues. Automatic updates and WiFi off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbalek

Reactions
Believe it or not 22251 gave me no trouble. Been running 23188 for a week now also with no issues. Automatic updates and WiFi off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those with no problems are almost unicorns like 2020 Explorers with no issues over several years. They exist but are not that common.

Reactions
Those with no problems are almost unicorns like 2020 Explorers with no issues over several years. They exist but are not that common.
My unicorn is a 2020 with no issues to date (knock on wood) and running 22251 with no issues. I am just about to pass the 3 year time limit on the bumper to bumper warranty, so a little nervous.

hbalek

Reactions
My unicorn is a 2020 with no issues to date (knock on wood) and running 22251 with no issues. I am just about to pass the 3 year time limit on the bumper to bumper warranty, so a little nervous.
Lucky you! I had problems starting in the first year so I bought an ESP before the end of the 3 year warranty. Now it's been 9 months since I bought it and haven't had to use it. The CV axles and 4wd sensor were covered under powertrain so no deductible.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
So I am on the sync 3 update page and watched the you tube video. It explicitly says to NOT use this tool with model years 2020 or newer.

What am I missing here?

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
So I am on the sync 3 update page and watched the you tube video. It explicitly says to NOT use this tool with model years 2020 or newer.

What am I missing here?
What tool?
I usually just go to the Ford site, put the VIN in and grab the download. Load on a USB and keep the car on while it's making the upgrade. Haven't had problems.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

What am I missing here?
They are referring to the map update. NEVER EVER use Cyanlabs' Sync3Updater to do a map update for MY2020+ of any Ford. Always select "keep existing maps". Map updates should only be done through the Ford owners website (provided you are still within the 3 year free map update period)

What tool?
I usually just go to the Ford site, put the VIN in and grab the download. Load on a USB and keep the car on while it's making the upgrade. Haven't had problems.
Problem with that is the lastest official version 22251 is flawed and there is currently no solution from Ford except to replace your APIM. Slowly but surely, more and more people that "haven't had any problems" are starting to get the memory full symptoms.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not to jinx you or anything, but my 2020 it 36150 miles when the 22251 shit hit the fan. About 1 week out of warranty. New APIM needed, Ford covered 80% of the $1500 bill, my dealer covered their $200 diagnostic fee, and I just paid $100. The dealer said they would cover the diagnostic fee as soon as they saw I was just out of warranty. I asked them to call Ford about any other help, and Ford responded within an hour. So they know they messed up.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
They are referring to the map update. NEVER EVER use Sync3Updater to do a map update for MY2020+ of any Ford. Always select "keep existing maps". Map updates should only be done through the Ford owners website (provided you are still within the 3 year free map update period)

Problem with that is the lastest official version 22251 is flawed and there is currently no solution from Ford except to replace your APIM. Slowly but surely, more and more people that "haven't had any problems" are starting to get the memory full symptoms.
Thank you for the reply. I figured it out after I read deeper in the thread. That video freaked me out though lol

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
. …. Slowly but surely, more and more people that "haven't had any problems" are starting to get the memory full symptoms.
Hmmm? I’ve updated my 2021 to 22251 from the Ford site with no issues so far. There was no option to keep existing maps anywhere along the way. We’ll see as time goes on…

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
im going to assume that my memory is full, have done several sr and the master reset keeps freezing even after leaving ST on for about a half hour, any other ideas or poss solutions before I dreadfully drop it off and have the dealer tell me the price of a new APIM since I’m out of warranty by time, only 31119 on my 2020.

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
I've used the CyanLabs for my 18' Mustang (SYNC3) the process was stellar for updating my maps and overall version. In terms of my Exploder, I wouldn't bother. This car has to many little bugs it's a little annoying.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I just upgraded to 23188. Worked flawlessly.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
im going to assume that my memory is full, have done several sr and the master reset keeps freezing even after leaving ST on for about a half hour, any other ideas or poss solutions before I dreadfully drop it off and have the dealer tell me the price of a new APIM since I’m out of warranty by time, only 31119 on my 2020.
Did you actually try Cyanlabs Sync3Updater to create a upgrade USB stick to 23188 with app package only? Next time MR freezes after 30 minutes, soft reset a couple of times and then try to update it. If the upgrade takes longer than 30 minutes, it'll eventually time out with "ver_err008" but it might actually work! Failing that, I'd do the jailbreaking method with the assistance of Forscan to get the reboot timing down.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did you actually try Cyanlabs Sync3Updater to create an upgrade USB stick to 23188 with app package only? Next time MR freezes after 30 minutes, soft reset a couple of times and then try to update it. If the upgrade takes longer than 30 minutes, it'll eventually time out with "ver_err008" but it might actually work! Failing that, I'd do the jailbreaking method with the assistance of Forscan to get the reboot timing down.
I inserted usb screen said cynlabs detected then nothing after that I did use the sync updater.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I inserted usb screen said cynlabs detected then nothing after that I did use the sync updater.
Wow. Not even "System updating.."? Did you attempt that with the car running? I remember last year, my Sync did not start the system updating after I put the USB in. I suspected a low battery condition (because of that and other issues) and after replacing my battery, it recognized the USB stick and started updating. That was a year ago and had nothing to do with 22251. But even with low memory, it should at least attempt to update with a "System updating..." message.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Wow. Not even "System updating.."? Did you attempt that with the car running? I remember last year, my Sync did not start the system updating after I put the USB in. I suspected a low battery condition (because of that and other issues) and after replacing my battery, it recognized the USB stick and started updating. That was a year ago and had nothing to do with 22251. But even with low memory, it should at least attempt to update with a "System updating..." message.
Did it while car was running, trying it again right now and got usb detected then indexing going to check it in 5 mins which will make it on for 25 mins.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Did it while car was running, trying it again right now and got usb detected then indexing going to check it in 5 mins which will make it on for 25 mins.
Format the USB to exFAT and try again.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Did you do the soft resets before the Cyanlabs update or after? Got to free up space to load, right?

Please let me know if this order is correct:
1. Hard reset
2. (2) Soft resets
3. Cyanlabs USB update to 23188
4. Keep current maps
i never did a hard reset.
I did two soft resets before update and two after the key cycle when update was complete. Keep you maps and use update from Ford Sync website if you want to update that.