Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Sync 3 Version 3.4.22251

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have had the exact same problem after the 22251 update, I brought it to dealer and since i am out of warranty charged me a $199.99 diagnostic fee. They had my ST for 2 days and told me they needed to replace the APIM and it would cost me an additional $2000.00 and of course would not be covered by my extended warranty. Itook it back without having anything done and then found this forum. Please post if anyone has found a solution!
makes me cringe when people are paying out of pocket for what is a software problem caused by Ford! For most, the best course of action is to be patient and wait for Ford to fix this. If you are comfortable enough, you can use the Cyanlab software to get back to 22200 which is free of these issues. This is not an Explorer issue. Bronco, F150 folks are having the same issue with 22251. Not sure why many are running 22251 without problem but maybe it's just a matter time until their memory fills up and problems to appear.

drbsimon

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ford explorer ST
Thanks for the response. Definitely was upset and felt ripped off after leaving dealer and saw this thread. I looked into the cyanlabs solution. I went to the Cyanlabs home page and watched the video that said that the updater only worked for model year 2019 vehicles. With mine being a 2020 ST I was apprehensive about trying it. Let me know if this was successful for you. If you know ,can you explain how to view the rwdata file to check memory?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for the response. Definitely was upset and felt ripped off after leaving dealer and saw this thread. I looked into the cyanlabs solution. I went to the Cyanlabs home page and watched the video that said that the updater only worked for model year 2019 vehicles. With mine being a 2020 ST I was apprehensive about trying it. Let me know if this was successful for you. If you know ,can you explain how to view the rwdata file to check memory?
You need to free up enough memory to do a simple downgrade. Sync3updater: MY2020+ cannot reformat or you will brick your APIM. Use Sync3updater to prepare a USB stick for version change.

To free up enough memory, you need to do a hard reset (let it reboot fully) and then two soft resets (allow to reboot after each one. Then immediately put in your downgrade USB stick that you made with Cyanlabs Sync3updater, just like you would if you prepared the USB from Ford. Note: this small freed up memory will fill up again quickly so do not think that alone will be sufficient as a fix.

Cyanlabs Sync3updater has an interrogator function to see if rwdata is full. Run the Sync3updater, go to the tool tab, select the usb drive, install the interrogator on it, put the usb stick into your car, wait for it to install and reboot itself (Sync)
with message that usb stick can be removed, go back to Sync3updater and read the file that is on the USB stick, see what the rwdata line says. If full will say 0M / 1.2G free memory for rwdata. The MR + SR + SR detailed above will free up about 5M. Normally free rwdata: 500-900M.

Tips for Sync3updater:
-never choose to force an install to bypass MY2020+ protection (ie. never choose reformat) if the software pops up with a warning; it means your selections are wrong and you need to fix it.
-never install maps with Sync3updater for a MY2020+, select "keep existing maps"
-for the purposes of the downgrade try 22200 or 21265, selecting app only (deselect the voice and gracenotes packages)
-use a trusted USB stick, preferably with activity LED
-make sure your Sync configuration is correct, ie. North America, navigation, current Sync version (ie 22251).
-if you still do not have enough memory for the downgrade, Sync will report failed install and list "version_err08". Next time: try doing master reset with 3 soft resets then USB stick. if you try to master reset and it hangs, try a couple of soft resets before the master reset.

Last edited:

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
You are paying out of pocket? That's crazy. SYNC settings not persisting is definitely related to 22251. When it gets bad, master reset will hang up, Fordpass won't work. Either try the downgrade yourself or wait for Ford to fix it. If you are under warranty, Ford may replace your APIM like they have in the past when SYNC was really the problem, not the hardware
I’m not paying but it will cost me work income since I use the vehicle for work.

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I have a OBDLink EX arriving today. I’m fairly technical and willing to carefully see what I can do to get back up. First is to see what I’m working with. I’ll post what I’m doing in this thread. Maybe I can turn off that annoying horn chirp when getting out of the vehicle running.

Last edited:

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I have had the exact same problem after the 22251 update, I brought it to dealer and since i am out of warranty charged me a $199.99 diagnostic fee. They had my ST for 2 days and told me they needed to replace the APIM and it would cost me an additional $2000.00 and of course would not be covered by my extended warranty. Itook it back without having anything done and then found this forum. Please post if anyone has found a solution!
Look at Naviupgrade.com their APIM’s are quite a bit less.

mike706

Reactions
Vehicle
2019 F150
Hi - 2019 F150 owner here. Same problem with Sync 3.4.22251 Not able to save settings, upgrade/wifi questions every key cycle, etc. After 3 days of trying everything advised here, at Ford.com, Cyanlabs, am still unable to overcome the root cause of the rwdata APIM folder 100% full. I've learned that the rwdata folder contains log files that are not being cleaned up by Sync. Master Reset hangs; map upgrade, Sync upgrade, downgrade, and reformat all fail with MEM errors.

I have an open case number, specific to my purchasing a map upgrade that fails on Sync 3.4.22251, escalated to Ford technical support:
CAS-43774158-J0X0G6
Feel free to reference this case if you want to build support for resolution by contacting Ford.
Mike

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi - 2019 F150 owner here. Same problem with Sync 3.4.22251 Not able to save settings, upgrade/wifi questions every key cycle, etc. After 3 days of trying everything advised here, at Ford.com, Cyanlabs, am still unable to overcome the root cause of the rwdata APIM folder 100% full. I've learned that the rwdata folder contains log files that are not being cleaned up by Sync. Master Reset hangs; map upgrade, Sync upgrade, downgrade, and reformat all fail with MEM errors.

I have an open case number, specific to my purchasing a map upgrade that fails on Sync 3.4.22251, escalated to Ford technical support:
CAS-43774158-J0X0G6
Feel free to reference this case if you want to build support for resolution by contacting Ford.
Mike
Did you try jailbreaking? Seems pretty straightforward if you have forscan to assist you in timing the APIM reboot that is a key part of the process.

mike706

Reactions
Vehicle
2019 F150
Did you try jailbreaking? Seems pretty straightforward if you have forscan to assist you in timing the APIM reboot that is a key part of the process.
I stopped short of jailbreaking the APIM. For me, not worth the risk of voiding warranty or bricking something while waiting on Ford to provide what should be a simple fix.

WCbx

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
It's been a harrowing 24 hrs. I tried again to install an older version, this time 21265 which according to Cyanlab is a stable version. Unfortunately after install, the APIM was working but it was a blank screen. Decided to load up 22200 and that worked. rwdata lists 500+M / 1.2G free, which is where it should be. I would not recommend attempting this because of the screen issue but I am happy I now have a working 22200.
It's been a harrowing 24 hrs. I tried again to install an older version, this time 21265 which according to Cyanlab is a stable version. Unfortunately after install, the APIM was working but it was a blank screen. Decided to load up 22200 and that worked. rwdata lists 500+M / 1.2G free, which is where it should be. I would not recommend attempting this because of the screen issue but I am happy I now have a working 22200.
Began seeing this problem about two weeks ago. Not an expert but I side with the software update being the problem and not the apim needing replacement. New to Cyanlabs downgrade process. Where would I be able to get the 222000?

WCbx

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Began seeing this problem about two weeks ago. Not an expert but I side with the software update being the problem and not the apim needing replacement. New to Cyanlabs downgrade process. Where would I be able to get the 222000?
I meant 22200.

WCbx

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I meant 22200.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Hi ALL. Ever since I got an over the air software update and the 22251 has given me nothing but trouble. Ford Pass stopped working. Wifi won't save, Rear door lift gate button stopped working, and hands free lift gate always stopped working. For replace modem and still same problem. I keep telling them to replace APIM, but they need a ford rep to visit dealer so that he can say ok to replace APIM. Question. I believe that the modem and aim working together. Also the phone connect is wacky....All since the 22251 update.

hbalek

Reactions
Hi ALL. Ever since I got an over the air software update and the 22251 has given me nothing but trouble. Ford Pass stopped working. Wifi won't save, Rear door lift gate button stopped working, and hands free lift gate always stopped working. For replace modem and still same problem. I keep telling them to replace APIM, but they need a ford rep to visit dealer so that he can say ok to replace APIM. Question. I believe that the modem and aim working together. Also the phone connect is wacky....All since the 22251 update.
Welcome to the club! This is getting really annoying!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Yes It is. I just bought mine after the lease. I lease it when new it's a 2020 but I leased it in Nov 2019. This has been the only issue. I replaced the muffler and installed a catback from Thermal R&D. it sounds awesome.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Cyanlab Sync3updater will download it for you. These are files taken from Ford servers.

WCbx

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Cyanlab Sync3updater will download it for you. These are files taken from Ford servers.
Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
How do I get the files? The tech that has been dealing with my car said they need permission from Ford to do that. Question will the APIM cause my rear door from opening from the hands free foot sensor? and the button on the rear door?

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #139
How do I get the files? The tech that has been dealing with my car said they need permission from Ford to do that. Question will the APIM cause my rear door from opening from the hands free foot sensor? and the button on the rear door?
https://cyanlabs.net/

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Question will the APIM cause my rear door from opening from the hands free foot sensor? and the button on the rear door?
completely separate issues. chances are you have a 2020? there is a firmware update to the liftgate module that has helped the rear door lock activating the liftgate opening problem.