Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Sync 3 Version 3.4.22251

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sadly, 23088 is the same way. And the display isn't the only setting it goes to default. It'll forget the Carplay was enabled for a device. So me report other navigation settings going to default. I'm going to try the sync version before 22251

Reactions
Sadly, 23088 is the same way. And the display isn't the only setting it goes to default. It'll forget the Carplay was enabled for a device. So me report other navigation settings going to default. I'm going to try the sync version before 22251
Don’t suppose you have a link to get the previous version?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Don’t suppose you have a link to get the previous version?
I use Cynalabs' Sync3Updater. Unfortunately, I tried downgrading to 22200 and it gave me an error. I guess I will have to wait until Ford fixes it.

Reactions
I use Cynalabs' Sync3Updater. Unfortunately, I tried downgrading to 22200 and it gave me an error. I guess I will have to wait until Ford fixes it.
Dang, that stinks. Thanks for trying.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Was looking into the error (VER_ERR08) I got when trying to downgrade. Apparently 22251 introduced an bug where rwdata is not cleared and runs out of memory for stored settings and even updates.

Solution? Do a Master Reset followed by two soft resets. I can confirm that some free memory was cleared in rwdata--not a lot but some. After doing the above, their APIM interrogator tool lists free space as 3.5M/1.2G for rwdata where previously it was 0/1.2G. There is supposedly enough to downgrade (or upgrade in the future) but I'm going to redo my settings and see if they hold. After doing my settings, it lists 1.5M/1.2G.

Source: Cyanlabs

Update: I think eventually, the memory gets eaten up and it will no longer save settings. I even did the master reset and soft resets again and it did not have enough memory to update the APIM to Sync 22200, the Sync version before 22251.

Last edited:
Reactions
Mine updated while driving. Very inconvenient. Good thing I didn't need the navigation at the moment.

Reactions
Was looking into the error (VER_ERR08) I got when trying to downgrade. Apparently 22251 introduced an bug where rwdata is not cleared and runs out of memory for stored settings and even updates.

Solution? Do a Master Reset followed by two soft resets. I can confirm that some free memory was cleared in rwdata--not a lot but some. After doing the above, their APIM interrogator tool lists free space as 3.5M/1.2G for rwdata where previously it was 0/1.2G. There is supposedly enough to downgrade (or upgrade in the future) but I'm going to redo my settings and see if they hold. After doing my settings, it lists 1.5M/1.2G.

Source: Cyanlabs

Update: I think eventually, the memory gets eaten up and it will no longer save settings. I even did the master reset and soft resets again and it did not have enough memory to update the APIM to Sync 22200, the Sync version before 22251.
That stinks. If we cannot even rollback to the previous version. :(

KegsBdry

Reactions
That stinks. If we cannot even rollback to the previous version. :(
Most upgrades on devices do not allow a roll back. Not without a complete wipe and reinstall. Sad days we live in.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's been a harrowing 24 hrs. I tried again to install an older version, this time 21265 which according to Cyanlab is a stable version. Unfortunately after install, the APIM was working but it was a blank screen. Decided to load up 22200 and that worked. rwdata lists 500+M / 1.2G free, which is where it should be. I would not recommend attempting this because of the screen issue but I am happy I now have a working 22200.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
this update is the opposite of good (for me). My display no longer keeps the same mode set. I have always had it set to “night” mode but it always resets to ‘auto’ now. Which most of the time is ‘Day’ mode.

Also, when using the navigation (no car play nor android auto) it only shows half of the map. :(

I wish I could get a link to download the latest update again and re apply it (via usb) to see if that helps. Before I take it to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm really getting fed up with mine. I did one Master Reset about 3 weeks ago and it only got better for about a week until it ran out of memory. I get half the map every time. Last Friday, I did 4 or 5 soft resets while driving for the map to come back gto full screen. Every time I start, my backgrounds go back to default, my SiriusXM goes back to FM radio, with only 2 preset pages instead of 5. FordPass has stopped working completely over the past week. I can't add any more Favorites to my Navigation and the history is clear after every drive. This is so frustrating. Ford really screwed up with this last update and won't admit the mistake or quickly resolve this. Meanwhile dealers want to charge diagnostic fees and/or deductibles for ESP's. I've read some have even had their APIM replaced at their own expense only to run out of memory again after a few weeks.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Driving back fron our vacation, my system crashed and rebooted twice. NEVER did that with the previous firmware. Was just glad it rebooted and wouldn't leave us without music for the 14 hour drive back.

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I'm really getting fed up with mine. I did one Master Reset about 3 weeks ago and it only got better for about a week until it ran out of memory. I get half the map every time. Last Friday, I did 4 or 5 soft resets while driving for the map to come back gto full screen. Every time I start, my backgrounds go back to default, my SiriusXM goes back to FM radio, with only 2 preset pages instead of 5. FordPass has stopped working completely over the past week. I can't add any more Favorites to my Navigation and the history is clear after every drive. This is so frustrating. Ford really screwed up with this last update and won't admit the mistake or quickly resolve this. Meanwhile dealers want to charge diagnostic fees and/or deductibles for ESP's. I've read some have even had their APIM replaced at their own expense only to run out of memory again after a few weeks.
I've had this exact same problem...

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Anyone here crafty enough to get aftermarket tesla screens for us?

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Anyone here crafty enough to get aftermarket tesla screens for us?
Ford has put that size screen in literally every other model but Explorer.......Edge is finished production in 2024 and its had that size screen for years.....absolute BS.

hbalek

Reactions
Ford has put that size screen in literally every other model but Explorer.......Edge is finished production in 2024 and its had that size screen for years.....absolute BS.
2024 Explorer refresh will have gigantic screens across the dash! Back in early 2019, the current screen was considered oversized. Now the screens go across the entire dash. They've gone screen crazy! Honestly I'm so fed up with this latest software glitch and memory loss that I may never update the software after they fix this last debacle. The engineers I work with are mostly against routine software updates, saying if ain't broke don't fix it. Now I understand why they said that. The past 2 months this Sync version gets worse and worse by the day.

Reactions
2024 Explorer refresh will have gigantic screens across the dash! Back in early 2019, the current screen was considered oversized. Now the screens go across the entire dash. They've gone screen crazy! Honestly I'm so fed up with this latest software glitch and memory loss that I may never update the software after they fix this last debacle. The engineers I work with are mostly against routine software updates, saying if ain't broke don't fix it. Now I understand why they said that. The past 2 months this Sync version gets worse and worse by the day.
Thats the China model that was released already.... Going by the current leaks/spy shots, that style won't be coming to the US

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I don’t think this is due to 22251 but will post here since I have it. It started when I activated the hotspot in my 2020 ST. I noticed a few days later it wasn’t broadcasting the SSID. Went into settings and got hotspot is not enabled. Tried to go into connectivity settings and it said settings weren’t available. Then noticed the Wi-Fi would disconnect. Enter the info just to loose it. Then my Bluetooth settings were not persistent along with the screen setting reverting from night to Auto. I did a master reset did no good for connectivity settings. Did get Bluetooth back for now. Dealer wants to keep 4 days and that will cost me $800 in work. I know the vehicle will be idle all those days and they won’t allow me to work and bring the vehicle when ready to look at it. Any experiences to share if this occurred with you?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I don’t think this is due to 22251 but will post here since I have it. It started when I activated the hotspot in my 2020 ST. I noticed a few days later it wasn’t broadcasting the SSID. Went into settings and got hotspot is not enabled. Tried to go into connectivity settings and it said settings weren’t available. Then noticed the Wi-Fi would disconnect. Enter the info just to loose it. Then my Bluetooth settings were not persistent along with the screen setting reverting from night to Auto. I did a master reset did no good for connectivity settings. Did get Bluetooth back for now. Dealer wants to keep 4 days and that will cost me $800 in work. I know the vehicle will be idle all those days and they won’t allow me to work and bring the vehicle when ready to look at it. Any experiences to share if this occurred with you?
You are paying out of pocket? That's crazy. SYNC settings not persisting is definitely related to 22251. When it gets bad, master reset will hang up, Fordpass won't work. Either try the downgrade yourself or wait for Ford to fix it. If you are under warranty, Ford may replace your APIM like they have in the past when SYNC was really the problem, not the hardware

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
You are paying out of pocket? That's crazy. SYNC settings not persisting is definitely relayed to 22251. When it gets bad, master reset will hang up, Fordpass won't work. Either try the downgrade yourself or wait for Ford to fix it. If you are under warranty, Ford may replace your APIM like they have in the past when SYNC was really the problem, not the hardware
I agree with the above. These problems are persistent, sometimes intermittent, sometimes more severe. It varies as time goes by. The past 2 days I've seen the top half of the map several times after weeks of only the bottom half of the map showing on start up. Ford better fix this soon. I am not paying to have this fixed nor is the remedy the cure. It only delays the memory from getting full again.

Last edited:

drbsimon

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ford explorer ST
I've had this exact same problem...
I have had the exact same problem after the 22251 update, I brought it to dealer and since i am out of warranty charged me a $199.99 diagnostic fee. They had my ST for 2 days and told me they needed to replace the APIM and it would cost me an additional $2000.00 and of course would not be covered by my extended warranty. Itook it back without having anything done and then found this forum. Please post if anyone has found a solution!