Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Sync 3 Version 3.4.22251

Ryno12

EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Is your explorer actually on 21194 or is that what the ford dashboard website is saying?

The vehicle is saying that it’s on 21194. Ford website says the same.

Last edited:

Ryno12

EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I would try contacting Ford SYNC support either by phone or chat to see if they can help.
I wasn’t sure if it’s anything like GM where they roll out the updates incrementally.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yeah that didn’t work unfortunately. Don’t even think it’s installing. I’ll get the message at the top saying update installing, it’ll say first part complete, gives me key cycle restart needed, then it automatically restarts on its own. I still give it a restart, then the whole process starts over. No xml file on usb.

I give up.
The file is in the SyncMyRide folder.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The file is in the SyncMyRide folder.
Yeah nothing is there. I originally did this update back in Feb. I had an xml file from then but never did anything with it. In fact I still had the usb drive from that install with all the files on it. I took the xml file and uploaded it to fords website. But nothing changes.

So that's when I tried to do the whole process over again. But even though it seems like it is installing, I am not so sure it is. Perhaps because it's the same exact update and the system sees that.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #305
Yeah nothing is there. I originally did this update back in Feb. I had an xml file from then but never did anything with it. In fact I still had the usb drive from that install with all the files on it. I took the xml file and uploaded it to fords website. But nothing changes.

So that's when I tried to do the whole process over again. But even though it seems like it is installing, I am not so sure it is. Perhaps because it's the same exact update and the system sees that.
Do you still have the original download on your computer? If so maybe try a reinstall from there.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Do you still have the original download on your computer? If so maybe try a reinstall from there.
I don’t. I deleted them when I tried to redo the whole process. I did save the xml file though. But when I upload it, I get a green check box. The website refreshes and then nothing has changed. Really frustrating.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #307
I don’t. I deleted them when I tried to redo the whole process. I did save the xml file though. But when I upload it, I get a green check box. The website refreshes and then nothing has changed. Really frustrating.
I'm out of ideas here. Have you tried contacting Ford SYNC support?

not2late

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
New here, with the same sync problems on my ST. Read in a previous post that Ford had dropped a new version -23188. Went out to the Explorer, connected it to my Wi-Fi and checked for updates. Said I was up to date with ver 22251. Checked for app updates and suddenly it was downloading
an update NU5T-14G381-AD_1689364279000.TAR.GZ.

Took about 40 minutes, the screen refreshed, and everything looked like it used to. Full nav map showing, not half. Put the radio onto a Sirius channel, shut it off, locked it and went in the house. Came back an hour later, everything still works and the radio stayed on the same Sirius channel.

Looks like Ford's update works.

Ryno12

EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Anyone know what this update is for? I thought I was all up to date with Sync & NAV, then this started to download.

4U5T-14G421-CEF_1682461522000.TAR.GZ

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Anyone know what this update is for? I thought I was all up to date with Sync & NAV, then this started to download.

i’ve seen several people post about this update, but I can’t get it to come up on my 22. I’m on 23188 and maps NA 2 22 also.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I turned off auto update after this last debacle. I don’t see anything on my ford dashboard either. Not sure what that is.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Mine has been doing something similar. I have auto-updates turned on. It's been a couple of weeks now but 23188 was installed with no issue. My Maps are still on 2.21 or were last time I looked but I had read that there wasn't a lot of difference between the two. The new version has better voice recognition.

Ever since the 23188 update, I see these types of files still downloading and they are MAP files. The files complete a download and move on to another something similar file. I already used my one free MAP update going to 2.21 and was not going to pay to update this go-round as it didn't seem to have a lot of benefits. I haven't looked for a few days and I don't think my MAPS has updated but these files were downloading.

My online Dashboard does not show that 23188 has been installed. It still shows me on 22158.

EDIT: I just looked at the Dashboard again and it now shows 23188, it didn't show the update though the car did for perhaps 2 weeks.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder

@Ryno12, Just looked at mine again today. It has upgraded to Version 2.22 of MAPs. This actually has taken perhaps 3 weeks to download a piece of the MAP files at a time.

I expect yours will do the same if it is set to Auto Update and given enough time and access to WiFi.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Interesting. I didn’t think maps downloaded via WiFi like that. I thought it was only usb.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I thought I had used up my 1 time free Map Update. I didn't think it would do it either but it did.

What prompted me to check again today is that the screen was locked on the Home screen. I went to the gas station and none of the buttons on the screen worked. It just showed the Maps which was working correctly, that it was connected to my phone and it showed the current music that was playing.

I couldn't move off of the Home screen, fast forward the music file (USB), or use any of the bottom buttons on the screen. I pulled it back in the garage and came in the house to read and make sure I was going to be doing a soft reset correctly. I went back out to do a soft reset (didn't need to) and all was working fine. So I looked at the current version and it shows both the System and Map files to be up to date.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #316
I thought I had used up my 1 time free Map Update. I didn't think it would do it either but it did.

What prompted me to check again today is that the screen was locked on the Home screen. I went to the gas station and none of the buttons on the screen worked. It just showed the Maps which was working correctly, that it was connected to my phone and it showed the current music that was playing.

I couldn't move off of the Home screen, fast forward the music file (USB), or use any of the bottom buttons on the screen. I pulled it back in the garage and came in the house to read and make sure I was going to be doing a soft reset correctly. I went back out to do a soft reset (didn't need to) and all was working fine. So I looked at the current version and it shows both the System and Map files to be up to date.
With my 2020 ST I have received 3 free updates. Now they want a crazy price for an update so I'm staying put.

KeithW

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST--2021 F-150 Powerboost
I updated to 2251 several weeks ago and it was a big improvement. Still sluggish, but much better. Nothing glitchy or strange.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #318
I updated to 2251 several weeks ago and it was a big improvement. Still sluggish, but much better. Nothing glitchy or strange.
You should update to the newest version 23188 ASAP. 22251 is the one that caused a lot of issues for a number of people.

Reactions
Finally got mine to update to 23188 last night... for now it appears to have fixed all the issues I was having.