Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

NEW Product Alert! The AWR Racing rear diff mount

Reactions
Ordered. Hope to get the proper subframe from the dealer for a “permanent” fix, but this seems like a viable stop gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
Ordered. Hope to get the proper subframe from the dealer for a “permanent” fix, but this seems like a viable stop gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you

Reactions
Question, how do you tighten the bolts to the subframe? Since there is only entry from the bottom.

OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #24
Question, how do you tighten the bolts to the subframe? Since there is only entry from the bottom.
slide the nut plate up in the subframe through an existing hole, bolt on the bracket - pretty slick design actually !
see pic below
awr complete kit.PNG

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Question for us in the "4 bolt gang". Has anyone placed a GoPro under the truck to see how much the diff moves during launch? That could help show if this is worthwhile for us 2020s as well.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Question for us in the "4 bolt gang". Has anyone placed a GoPro under the truck to see how much the diff moves during launch? That could help show if this is worthwhile for us 2020s as well.
That would be the ultimate comparison IMO. Would make the decision on how to address the one bolt a simple one. Three bolt, four bolt, three bolt with diffy stiffy and the new one. My guess is this new one would show less movement than the diffy stiffy and possible the same as the 4 bolt. Purely my speculation.

OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #30
Reactions
here's the only video available at the moment
please note the $249 w/FREE SHIPPING price ends on May 10th when the mounts ship. We've sold so many of these it's truly incredible - grab one now before the price jump + shipping cost is added
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...s/awr-racing-rear-diff-mount-2020-explorer-st

This is a great idea, but since Ford is aware of the issues, I think this would cause more of a concern on any breakage issues that may arise. Just not sure how much stress those small cover bolts could take as well.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
here's the only video available at the moment]
Awesome, thanks.(y)
Maybe put out a short vid that has your tech walking through the job.

This is a great idea, but since Ford is aware of the issues, I think this would cause more of a concern on any breakage issues that may arise. Just not sure how much stress those small cover bolts could take as well.
Well, it's two cover bolts, better than nothing.
And if no drilling is involved, you could always take it off before heading to the dealer if you have any related problems.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Awesome, thanks.(y)

And if no drilling is involved, you could always take it off before heading to the dealer
if you have any related problems.
mechanics at the dealership will know that the bolts have been taken out, and that’s just giving them ammunition to not warranty due to modifications and or tampered with by owner.

Reactions
Awesome, thanks.(y)

And if no drilling is involved, you could always take it off before heading to the dealer if you have any related problems.
True , but if the main bolt snaps these other 2 bolts are for sure snapping as well.

Reactions
I am going this route. Who knows maybe this alternative will prove stronger than the 4 bolt standard. I hate dealing with moron dealer service reps as they generally have absolutely no clue. Funny I replaced my oil lines in my Lotus 12 years ago before the recall that was issued. Guess what? Lotus USA paid for all the parts that I installed as they determined the new lines exceeded the specs for their replacement lines. Hello Ford? As this is fully removable without a trace then even if it breaks they have no real proof. I have modified many cars in my time and find that the aftermarket solves many issues the factory is not willing to address. My $0.02

Tommy

OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
True , but if the main bolt snaps these other 2 bolts are for sure snapping as well.
as mentioned we have a few that have been on test vehicles , one of which is tracked nearly every weekend that runs 11's
it's being put through the paces and has proven to hold up as intended
I can't comment much about the Ford recall and frankly it doesn't matter, this rear diff support can be used on any Explorer ST rear subframe regardless of how many bolts it has or the build date

Reactions
If you look at the bolt receiver castings the stress molds are lateral not vertical. This doesn't support the "z" loads up and down.. This mount supports both x and z. The forces. once the bolts are secured acts on the whole assembly. Just like the after market rear motor mounts on the Focus ST/RS. They distribute the force throughout the entire bell housing using existing bolts. Whatever still better than arguing with a service manager.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The main bolt and the 2 diff bolts from the brace work in conjunction with each in taking stress, not separately from each other.

Put another way, the main bolt is no longer taking all the load by itself.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
mechanics at the dealership will know that the bolts have been taken out, and that’s just giving them ammunition to not warranty due to modifications and or tampered with by owner.
Maybe they'll notice, and maybe they won't.
Regardless, it's still not even close to being so obvious as seeing additional holes drilled in the subframe.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
as mentioned we have a few that have been on test vehicles , one of which is tracked nearly every weekend that runs 11's
it's being put through the paces and has proven to hold up as intended
I can't comment much about the Ford recall and frankly it doesn't matter, this rear diff support can be used on any Explorer ST rear subframe regardless of how many bolts it has or the build date
I'm ready for installation.....
IMG_0069.JPG