Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Gibson axle-back kit in the works

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Good point. I did order black.
I ordered mine on the 16th. Black tips and it’s supposed to be delivered today.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I ordered mine on the 16th. Black tips and it’s supposed to be delivered today.
Lucky! I guess I just missed out on what inventory they did have. Probably Had to get more from Gibson.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Delivering to Golden, CO. I did order stainless tips. Did you order black? It may be that most people are ordering black, creating an inventory issue.
Yeah I got black so that’s probably why. The wait is killing me lol

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah I got black so that’s probably why. The wait is killing me lol
Same lol but I guess if I managed to wait 4 months for my ST, I can wait a few extra weeks for the exhaust. It’s funny, I was okay with stock since I had it in December. Mainly cause I couldn’t decide the what hell to buy. Now I’ve decided, man am I excited.

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Same lol but I guess if I managed to wait 4 months for my ST, I can wait a few extra weeks for the exhaust. It’s funny, I was okay with stock since I had it in December. Mainly cause I couldn’t decide the what hell to buy. Now I’ve decided, man am I excited.
Well according to the shop I brought it to nothing aligns right, the tips don’t even fit in the slot it was supposed too. So I’m wondering if it was so cheap because this was all the defected pieces?

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Mine was just delivered. I'll try to get it installed this week and post results.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well according to the shop I brought it to nothing aligns right, the tips don’t even fit in the slot it was supposed too. So I’m wondering if it was so cheap because this was all the defected pieces?
Wow, I hope that’s not the case. Obviously I’d reach out to the store but then reach out to Gibson themselves. This is their name and I’m sure they will do right by it.

Reactions
Exhaust shops always seem to say that. Then they always tell you how they could have built a better system for less money and try and sell you some off-brand flowmaster clones from the 90's and pep-boys exhaust tips. They probably eyeballed the cut rather than measuring it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Exhaust shops always seem to say that. Then they always tell you how they could have built a better system for less money and try and sell you some off-brand flowmaster clones from the 90's and pep-boys exhaust tips. They probably eyeballed the cut rather than measuring it.
Honest exhaust shops are few and far between. Especially true for chains like Midas. Agree 100% with RED09GT. They probably charged you more labor to make this "crap kit" magically fit--am I right? I would seriously encourage anyone who buys this kit to DIY. It's not hard. The money you save can probably buy you a reciprocating saw and a metal-cutting blade that you can use for this and future projects.

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Wow, I hope that’s not the case. Obviously I’d reach out to the store but then reach out to Gibson themselves. This is their name and I’m sure they will do right by it.
I reached out to them about the scratched tip. “Well it’s on the car already so there’s not much we can do, give me a good delivery address and I’ll mail you a shirt”.

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Honest exhaust shops are few and far between. Especially true for chains like Midas. Agree 100% with RED09GT. They probably charged you more labor to make this "crap kit" magically fit--am I right? I would seriously encourage anyone who buys this kit to DIY. It's not hard. The money you save can probably buy you a reciprocating saw and a metal-cutting blade that you can use for this and future projects.
This is the second Gibson exhaust I’ve had, first time I have the exact same problem, nothing fit right and I was doing it myself. They had to mail me an entire new kit the first time around. The only reason I went with them again is because they do make a good system and the shop even said it’s a nice system just nothing fit right. Original quote was 150 to install it, after them having to fix whatever issue there was he charged 175. So I don’t think it was about the money aspect. But who knows, it’s on there and it sounds good. Just a headache to deal with.

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I totally get where you’re coming from. This shop has been in business for 40 years and never talked about selling me anything of theirs. Said it was a good system just nothing fit correctly.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I won't say fitment is perfect. I followed their directions carefully and one side sits back further than the other. You can account for this when you position the tips, but on mine, the tips do have to sit out a bit--they pointed funny when i had them more flush.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just curious, is the fitment issues coming from the cutting part and exactly where that is done? That’s the main thing I’m dreading and why I’m debating have a shop do it. Not that I can’t cut an exhaust pipe but that I’m just afraid I’ll cut wrong or the wrong spot or who knows and than it won’t fit right.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just curious, is the fitment issues coming from the cutting part and exactly where that is done? That’s the main thing I’m dreading and why I’m debating have a shop do it. Not that I can’t cut an exhaust pipe but that I’m just afraid I’ll cut wrong or the wrong spot or who knows and than it won’t fit right.
My fear exactly which is why I'm taking it to my exhaust guy, his shop has always done a perfect job to make sure everything fits and matches to the T.

ST Bun

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
What I was told was actually the same issue I had with the first Gibson exhaust. Basically the inlets are the same size as the stock existing exhaust. So instead of sliding over or inside the pipe it was the same size. Sounds great though. Exactly what I was looking for. So I can’t bitch too much lol

ST-Fisher

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
This and the AFE are on my list of potential upgrades. To the members with this installed, is there drone in the 65-75mph range?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Anyone had their ship date changed to a later date that eventually shipped before that set date? The wait is killing me LOL

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
What I was told was actually the same issue I had with the first Gibson exhaust. Basically the inlets are the same size as the stock existing exhaust. So instead of sliding over or inside the pipe it was the same size.
That's unusual. The pipe ends should have been enlarged slightly. Mine went on (overlapped) easily after i de-burred the cuts and sprayed silicone lube. Maybe they neglected to enlarge the ends on some. If that's the case, just cut off more of the stock pipe or the Gibson pipe and use butt joint clamps.

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What I was told was actually the same issue I had with the first Gibson exhaust. Basically the inlets are the same size as the stock existing exhaust. So instead of sliding over or inside the pipe it was the same size. Sounds great though. Exactly what I was looking for. So I can’t bitch too much lol
That makes no sense and it seems odd. Will obviously have to take a look at mine when they eventually come in. I looked at the installation instructions again and I can’t really tell.