Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Gibson axle-back kit in the works

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ok gotcha. Makes sense. How’s the sound overall to you? We listen to all these videos and I’m just curious how real life compares.
So far I love it man, it’s such a nice deep growl and nothing raspy like I’ve heard from the other setups. Videos don’t do it justice!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So far I love it man, it’s such a nice deep growl and nothing raspy like I’ve heard from the other setups. Videos don’t do it justice!
That is awesome to hear! Exactly what I was looking for. Can’t wait!

curious, did you ever disable the fake engine noise? Or is that still on for you.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
That is awesome to hear! Exactly what I was looking for. Can’t wait!

curious, did you ever disable the fake engine noise? Or is that still on for you.
Left it on but I can hear the exhaust clearly even with it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Left it on but I can hear the exhaust clearly even with it on.

Perfect! Someone in Facebook was like you’re gonna want to turn off the fake engine noise because of it interfering with the true exhaust.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Here’s a short clip of a cold start with the Gibson:

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
How do you like yours so far? I'm loving mine, not too lout and not quite at all, perfect balance.

Didn't feel like dropping $1.5k on just an exhaust setup when it adds zero performance benefits. Also with the deal we got it just cannot be beat in my opinion.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
How do you like yours so far? I'm loving mine, not too lout and not quite at all, perfect balance.

Didn't feel like dropping $1.5k on just an exhaust setup when it adds zero performance benefits. Also with the deal we got it just cannot be beat in my opinion.
I'm happy with it aside from the stainless tips having several visual defects. I'll probably change those out after a while. You get what you pay for!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'm happy with it aside from the stainless tips having several visual defects. I'll probably change those out after a while. You get what you pay for!
Yeah, that's why I didn't mind waiting for the black tips, they look sexy AF. I had everything welded in so it's nice and tight.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sounds good! Truly seems like a good balance. Get mine this Friday so hoping I can get them installed asap. Maybe 1-2 hr job if that? Does the Gibson exhaust piping just slide over the stock exhaust pipes?

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Sounds good! Truly seems like a good balance. Get mine this Friday so hoping I can get them installed asap. Maybe 1-2 hr job if that? Does the Gibson exhaust piping just slide over the stock exhaust pipes?
Yes, just slips on. Didn’t take me more than an hour. I did have a brass mallet to help with the install, as the slip on side of the Gibson is tight and did need a bit of strong-arm manipulation.

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes, just slips on. Didn’t take me more than an hour. I did have a brass mallet to help with the install, as the slip on side of the Gibson is tight and did need a bit of strong-arm manipulation.
Okay good. Yeah it seems pretty straightforward. My biggest worry is making sure I get the cut site perfect. I don’t know how forgiving the install is based on the cut.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Okay good. Yeah it seems pretty straightforward. My biggest worry is making sure I get the cut site perfect. I don’t know how forgiving the install is based on the cut.
The flare on the slip on side of the gibson is about two inches deep, so plenty of tolerance. I would cut on the conservative side and trim off more if needed. The instructions have a pic that isn't great where it shows the measurement for the cut coming from the bend but there is a lot left to interpretation. Like I said, cut conservatively and trim off more if needed. I cut once and it worked fine. Since it's hard to get both sides' measurements perfect, I made a second measurement from the corner of the factory muffler to my cut mark to make sure it was in the same spot on both sides. It's really not hard at all.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The flare on the slip on side of the gibson is about two inches deep, so plenty of tolerance. I would cut on the conservative side and trim off more if needed. The instructions have a pic that isn't great where it shows the measurement for the cut coming from the bend but there is a lot left to interpretation. Like I said, cut conservatively and trim off more if needed. I cut once and it worked fine. Since it's hard to get both sides' measurements perfect, I made a second measurement from the corner of the factory muffler to my cut mark to make sure it was in the same spot on both sides. It's really not hard at all.
Thank you! Very helpful information. Gonna attempt this job without any car ramps. Crawled under there today and while a little tight, think it’s doable.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thank you! Very helpful information. Gonna attempt this job without any car ramps. Crawled under there today and while a little tight, think it’s doable.
I'm sure it can be done. I have ramps which made my life much easier. Also, I used some WD-40 inside the flares to help them slip on a little easier.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Exhaust delivered. Borrowed my friend’s car ramps. Hope to get these on asap!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
damn so three hours later and I’m about 85% of the way. Guess I’m not as good as you guys lol but seriously wtf, these pipes do not slide over one another. I’m so confused what Gibson was thinking. Was gonna see about a coupler tomorrow morning. Then I remember people talked using lap joint clamps. Not sure what to do but this is frustrating as hell. But they’re mostly on just not sure if they would stay connected especially on a bumpy road. Ughhh

but I did fire it up in my garage and she sounds good!!

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
damn so three hours later and I’m about 85% of the way. Guess I’m not as good as you guys lol but seriously wtf, these pipes do not slide over one another. I’m so confused what Gibson was thinking. Was gonna see about a coupler tomorrow morning. Then I remember people talked using lap joint clamps. Not sure what to do but this is frustrating as hell. But they’re mostly on just not sure if they would stay connected especially on a bumpy road. Ughhh

but I did fire it up in my garage and she sounds good!!
Exactly why I didn’t do it myself, didn’t want to get frustrated so I took it to my muffler shop

Reactions
Yo snooze, you lose... AutoAnything jacked up the price. F me.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Exactly why I didn’t do it myself, didn’t want to get frustrated so I took it to my muffler shop

Haha yeah lesson learned. Finally finished though! Sounds really good and not too loud. Still have to drive it though. But damn my hands are cut up lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Haha yeah lesson learned. Finally finished though! Sounds really good and not too loud. Still have to drive it though. But damn my hands are cut up lol
Haha at least you got it done man!

Glad you like it, I love the sound too!