Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Gibson axle-back kit in the works

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Haha at least you got it done man!

Glad you like it, I love the sound too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I did some good driving in it this evening. It’s perfect!! You definitely hear it and it sounds great but it’s never overbearing.

just trying to decide if I’m gonna remove the fake engine noise.

Ramairgt1

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Yo snooze, you lose... AutoAnything jacked up the price. F me.
I saw that too, they said they do price match for a month or something but I said F that, I'll just go full exhaust for that price.

Dmoline72

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I ordered mine on the 21st and it was delivered on the 26th. I mentioned before that I ordered stainless tips. If you ordered Black tips, like the majority of people, I'm guessing there is heavier demand and there may be supply issues.

That being said, I installed mine on Thursday last week but it's been rainy and snowy and I haven't taken pics. The install went great. Took about 45 minutes start to finish. The stainless tips have several visual defects in the way of pitting, incomplete polishing and crooked cuts. You can't see any of it from 5 feet away but if you get up close, you can see them. The sound is great. Drove about 400 miles this weekend, mostly highway, and I did not experience any drone. Fairly quiet while cruising and a nice growl when you floor it. I'm happy with the purchase for the price. I'll likely change out the tips soon.
Thanks for the feedback. Just ordered mine this morning and am wondering what you used to cut your stock exhaust out? Was planning to order a chain cutter off of Amazon (link below).

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-270...t=&hvlocphy=9053018&hvtargid=pla-434187541606

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well, nearly a month into running this exhaust and I remain 110% satisfied. Seriously the perfect exhaust to me. Great start up sound, mellow but clearly noticeable, and not overbearing. Around the town driving gives a nice rumble. Highway driving absolutely NO drone. Sounds amazing when you rip into it. The black tips look awesome and just bad ass.

Sad I waited as long as I did. So for the next person browsing these forums and debating this exhaust, just order it. You will not be disappointed.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thanks for the feedback. Just ordered mine this morning and am wondering what you used to cut your stock exhaust out? Was planning to order a chain cutter off of Amazon (link below).

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-270...t=&hvlocphy=9053018&hvtargid=pla-434187541606
Sorry for the late reply. I used a metal cutting blade on a reciprocating saw after I measured and wrapped blue painters tape exactly where I wanted to cut.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Well, nearly a month into running this exhaust and I remain 110% satisfied. Seriously the perfect exhaust to me. Great start up sound, mellow but clearly noticeable, and not overbearing. Around the town driving gives a nice rumble. Highway driving absolutely NO drone. Sounds amazing when you rip into it. The black tips look awesome and just bad ass.

Sad I waited as long as I did. So for the next person browsing these forums and debating this exhaust, just order it. You will not be disappointed.
Yeah, for the price I paid for it ($389) - it's an absolute steal of a deal. That extra $1+ is already going towards a Whipple IC so money well spent here.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Update: I previously reported slight drone around 2k rpm. Well lately, it actually worsened. Found out recently that one of the flex sections had failed. Could be when I was wrangling the Gibson that the cheap OE flex section developed a leak and proceeded to get worse with time. In any case, replaced the stock mid pipes with the Lethal Performance mid pipes that have much better flex sections. No more rattle! And happy to report that the "drone" I reported is now gone, so it was likely due to a failed flex section. To be fair to Gibson, I removed any reference to drone in my earlier posts.

I would say that if your exhaust is otherwise stock and you get drone with the Gibson, you should check for leaks somewhere!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Update: I previously reported slight drone around 2k rpm. Well lately, it actually worsened. Found out recently that one of the flex sections had failed. Could be when I was wrangling the Gibson that the cheap OE flex section developed a leak and proceeded to get worse with time. In any case, replaced the stock mid pipes with the Lethal Performance mid pipes that have much better flex sections. No more rattle! And happy to report that the "drone" I reported is now gone, so it was likely due to a failed flex section. To be fair to Gibson, I removed any reference to drone in my earlier posts.

I would say that if your exhaust is otherwise stock and you get drone with the Gibson, you should check for leaks somewhere!!
Good to know thanks!

I plan on replacing my down pipes and mid pipes; hopefully I won't run into any droning issues until then.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Sound is deeper and a little louder--most noticeable when cold starting the car. It is pretty mellow overall which is what I wanted. The sound is not loud enough to cause problems with the neighbors. On the highway, there is some drone when cruising and giving slight throttle to maintain speed at 2k rpm. When I'm playing my tunes, I don't notice the exhaust sound very much at all. Basically, if you are looking for loud, aggressive sound, this is probably not for you. If you want deeper, slightly louder sound, then this is perfect. I like the sound and love the large, black tips. Looks a lot better than stock.

View attachment 9121
What is the part # for the clamp?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
What website are you getting the Exhaust from?

The price jump up to $667

Attachments

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions

I got mine from autoanything. But they’re currently charging more than double what I paid from them last spring. Just check around at all the sites and see who is selling for cheapest.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I got mine from autoanything. But they’re currently charging more than double what I paid from them last spring. Just check around at all the sites and see who is selling for cheapest.
Agreed. Definitely do not pay more than $500. it's not worth more than that.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

I ordered mine from the site below. I even got an extra 15% off, and it was already the cheapest I could find.

www.throtl.com

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #256
What is the part # for the clamp?
It was mentioned earlier in the thread…along with the need to replace the bolts that come with them since they are junk. You need grade 10.9 bolts in there. Cranked mine down with an impact gun and there are no leaks at all.