Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Modem and navigation issues

mathewD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hey guys new here…and didn’t see anything on here about issues with modem and navigation…every time I factory reset and setup ford pass, the next time I get in the modem/wifi doesn’t work…and the navigation is shrunk in the bottom of the screen…presets are still saved but almost like everything else resets every startup…?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Exact thing started happening to me about 2 weeks ago. Took it to the dealer and, as I expected, my APIM is on its way out and needs to be replaced.

OP
M

mathewD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
How much does that run?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My dealer quoted $1400, but since I'm only 200 miles out of warranty, Ford said they would still cover most of it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

hbalek

Reactions
Ford know about the issues. New update is coming not sure when.
They are really assholes for charging customers for the repair when it's their software update that broke the APIM! I won't take mine in until they update the software. I'm on 22251 and that's when all this started 3 months ago. I have ESP and have a $100 deductible but I shouldn't have to pay anything.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ford does suck. They know about the issue but no bulletin out to dealers? Dealerships don't seem to know about the issue and are charging diagnostic fees, replacing APIMs--great if you are under bumper-to-bumper warranty still but if out of warranty, you are screwed over a thousand dollars when there is nothing wrong with the APIM, just Sync 3.4 version 22251.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There is a Technical Bulletin out for this but when I bring it up to the dealer they are or are acting clueless. They need my ST 3/4 days to diagnose something I can clearly figure out at start up when I have to reset the sync system every time!
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
SYNC Screen Concerns, Wi-Fi Connection Message, Rear View Camera Operation, CarPlay And/Or Voice Prompt Concerns
This bulletin supersedes 20-2301. Reason for update: Missing or Incorrect Applications
Model:
20-2363

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There is a Technical Bulletin out for this but when I bring it up to the dealer they are or are acting clueless. They need my ST 3/4 days to diagnose something I can clearly figure out at start up when I have to reset the sync system every time!
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
SYNC Screen Concerns, Wi-Fi Connection Message, Rear View Camera Operation, CarPlay And/Or Voice Prompt Concerns
This bulletin supersedes 20-2301. Reason for update: Missing or Incorrect Applications
Model:
20-2363
That TSB is unrelated. It is old and the symptoms don't quite match. This problem surfaced after the install of 22251 which I believe was late 2022 or early 2023? Most of us affected didn't have any issues until a few months after 22251 however--probably not until the memory free space filled up.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That TSB is unrelated. It is old and the symptoms don't quite match. This problem surfaced after the install of 22251 which I believe was late 2022 or early 2023? Most of us affected didn't have any issues until a few months after 22251 however--probably not until the memory free space filled up.
Have you seen or heard of any fixes or when new update will be released? I’ve spoken with ford several times and have gotten several different answers.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Have you seen or heard of any fixes or when new update will be released? I’ve spoken with ford several times and have gotten several different answers.
Cyanlabs already has found v. 23188 on Ford Servers which fixes the problem. Time will tell if this is the version that will get officially released. Cyanlabs will release a new version just a few weeks ahead of official release in most cases.

OP
M

mathewD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Alright guys…you can now update to 23188 via USB…go to ford website

There is an update available on your system. You will need to update the system via USB. You will need to visit https://www.ford.com/support/sync-maps-updates/ and enter your VIN for instructions on updating via USB. The update download will be free of charge, however you will need to supply the USB. The USB must be 16GB, or up to 64GB.
Formatted to ExFat.
Without a password.
Completely empty.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions

There is an update available on your system. You will need to update the system via USB. You will need to visit https://www.ford.com/support/sync-maps-updates/ and enter your VIN for instructions on updating via USB. The update download will be free of charge, however you will need to supply the USB. The USB must be 16GB, or up to 64GB.
Formatted to ExFat.
Without a password.
Completely empty.
Ford released that 3 weeks ago.

OP
M

mathewD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
Just updating this thread man…

SF02112

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

Formatted to ExFat.
Without a password.
Completely empty.
Hello- New to the forum (glad I found it- so much great info here). Reading through the posts related to updating the Maps/Naviagation. I attempted to do this in 11/22 unsuccessfully- Ordered the USB from Ford and it would not install, even my dealer couldn't do it for me. Is this new update referenced in the thread good to go? I'd love to update my maps since they haven't ever been updated since I purchased the vehicle in 11/21. Thank you!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

Explorer ST Posts