Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Radio going crazy

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Last week we started having issues with the radio going to a dead "AM" station on startup. It happens randomly and I know that the last input was Sirius when we shut the car off. Anyone else seen this?

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
Last week we started having issues with the radio going to a dead "AM" station on startup. I happens randomly and I know that the last input was Sirius when we shut the car off. Anyone else seen this?
There are many discussions on this online for all version of Sync 3 with the latest software 22251. My problems started in April and have gotten progressively worse. Now I have no FordPass at all and the bottom half of my map is gone. Master reset helps initially until it runs out of memory again. The software flaw allows the memory to fill up and the unit forgets most settings and preferences for audio, navigation and display. My Sirius preset pages default to 2 instead of 5.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...eeps-reverting-to-auto-day-night-mode.502903/

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/new-sync-3-version-3-4-22251.4924/pa

I have found other discussions recently on Reddit, F-150 and Edge forums. All these things started in the past month or so with the latest version of Sync update. Some have had to have their APIM replaced under warranty and some even out of pocket expense only for the problem to return once the memory gets full again. I'm holding off on another Master Reset until Ford releases another software version hopefully with a fix and doesn't mess up other things. I will never update software again because I can't trust the "latest and greatest" from Ford.

Sadly, for the original poster, the AM thing is merely the beginning of the memory getting full and losing so many settings...

Last edited:

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Have the exact same issues happening with my 2021.

hbalek

Reactions
Have the exact same issues happening with my 2021.
Warranty or not, I'm reading that the fix that Ford does now is replacing the APIM but many have said that is the same as reflashing the APIM and and software. But the flaw in the software causes the rwdata folder to get full and run out of memory. This is why the problems get worse and worse. Today I tried to do another master reset and it would just freeze up and not reset. A month ago, the master reset helped for a few weeks until the memory got full again.

SnoopST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Having the same issues started siriusxm now map doesn’t display and remote start via ford pass doesn’t work, also have to keep reconnecting blue tooth so phone syncs then when I shut vehical off it won’t reconnect unless I remove device the reconnect. Talked to ford CS and they told me another update won’t be avail. Until sept. Not happy!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Last week we started having issues with the radio going to a dead "AM" station on startup. It happens randomly and I know that the last input was Sirius when we shut the car off. Anyone else seen this?
I am also having this issue. When the car is turned off, it is on SiriusXM. Turn it back on and the radio has gone to FM or a dead AM station. I see where there will possibly be an update in September. I guess we will wait and see if that corrects anything. Very disappointed with Ford and the recurring issues with the ST.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
I am also having this issue. When the car is turned off, it is on SiriusXM. Turn it back on and the radio has gone to FM or a dead AM station. I see where there will possibly be an update in September. I guess we will wait and see if that corrects anything. Very disappointed with Ford and the recurring issues with the ST.
This software issue is across other models with the same version Sync 3.4.22251.

angelacf71

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
My radio started about a week ago. Now the GPS is going wacky. I’m kinda glad I’m not the only one. But also means it will be a while before it’s fixed. I just updated to the latest and it’s not improved.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My radio started about a week ago. Now the GPS is going wacky. I’m kinda glad I’m not the only one. But also means it will be a while before it’s fixed. I just updated to the latest and it’s not improved.
Are you sure your updated to 23188? This is the first I've heard where there was no improvement.

hbalek

Reactions
Are you sure your updated to 23188? This is the first I've heard where there was no improvement.
Mine was really bad for months and after almost a month after the update, so far it is back to normal. You may have to do a master reset.