Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync Issues

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Hey Guys,

lately I’ve been having issues with sync — not remembering phones, nav screen only shows half of a map, doesn’t start off on the last music station, etc

Any suggestion on issue or should I take her into service?

Attachments

hbalek

Reactions
Hey Guys,

lately I’ve been having issues with sync — not remembering phones, nav screen only shows half of a map, doesn’t start off on the last music station, etc

Any suggestion on issue or should I take her into service?
Welcome to the club! This issue has been annoying me daily since April! Consider yourself lucky if you're not one of the people who has been screwed by their Ford dealership who tried to charge them $1000 or more to replace the APIM out of warranty. I'm not even gonna pay my deductible because this is a memory loss issue caused by the latest Sync software update. Thouasands of owners didn't all of a sudden have failed hardware. Ford's software messed up our hardware and they need to fix this ASAP. A master reset is a temporary fix and so is replacing the APIM. It will eventually run out of memory if you are running Sync 3.4 version 22251.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
When mine gets low, screen gets chaotic. I don’t do master reset because Im tired of reentering stuff. Today did 2 soft resets and it seems to work for the last 5 times.

Really considering dumping Ford. Just went through this for 2 years with my 21 F150 Hybrid.
Ya can run but not hide at this point.

Maybe time to look at Durangos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Same issue here, makes me feel better to know its just not me atleast but come on Ford... get your shit together.

BillyChode

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Looks like I am joining the club.

Best part now, after that crap upgrade…my fuel gauge doesn’t work. I have infinite gas at ⅞ of a tank. Not sure if anyone has any suggestions to fix this. I take my vehicle in for service next week, so I hope they can find a fix. Remembering why I left Ford back in 2017!

hbalek

Reactions
Looks like I am joining the club.

Best part now, after that crap upgrade…my fuel gauge doesn’t work. I have infinite gas at ⅞ of a tank. Not sure if anyone has any suggestions to fix this. I take my vehicle in for service next week, so I hope they can find a fix. Remembering why I left Ford back in 2017!
Wow way back in 2017 and you came back! LOL If anything quality and reliability has deteriorated in 5 years. The generation of products 10 years ago had fewer problems by far.

BillyChode

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Wow way back in 2017 and you came back! LOL If anything quality and reliability has deteriorated in 5 years. The generation of products 10 years ago had fewer problems by far.
oh I’m finding that out quickly. Owned 3 BMWs between fords. iDrive is leaps and bounds ahead of sync. I had issues with the assisted driving and figured ford wouldn’t have that for awhile.

2023 and I am going Kentucky Windage on my gas. Thanks Ford!

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Just a thought — At what point can we lemon law all these issues? I believe that backup camera issues alone check off the boxes.

Last edited:

BillyChode

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just a thought — At what point can we lemon law all these issues? I believe that backup camera issues alone check off the boxes.
When I had an issue with my X5, I contacted BMW to voice my concern and displeasure. In less than a month, the dealer purchased the vehicle back from me for what they gave me on my trade ($35k). I don’t foresee ford being this concerned about these issues. It’s a shame, I love the vehicle, but worry about what might be wrong that we can’t see or ford doesn’t disclose. We already know they don’t care about cameras and bolts.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If you can do a master reset with out hanging, i for sure would try using Cyanlabs Sync3updater to downgrade to 22200. just do master reset followed by soft reset and then insert your downgrade USB stick like you would for any version upgrade (by USB).

OP
Kryuenger

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
When I had an issue with my X5, I contacted BMW to voice my concern and displeasure. In less than a month, the dealer purchased the vehicle back from me for what they gave me on my trade ($35k). I don’t foresee ford being this concerned about these issues. It’s a shame, I love the vehicle, but worry about what might be wrong that we can’t see or ford doesn’t disclose. We already know they don’t care about cameras and bolts.
Right! With no fix for the backup camera wouldn’t this put it in lemon law territory. For some — not having a backup camera could cause death or serious bodily injuries.

Attachments

BillyChode

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I thought they were a federal mandate or something now? It‘s just embarrassing. I’d rather they not include something than half ass it. My experience with my digital dash cluster shitting on me is really turning me off to these entire dashboards going digital. Now my GPS is putting me in Dearborn, MI…so i assume there’s a hardware issue. It’s just a piece of work with this thing. I wish the car companies would stick to making cars…and partner with some tech companies for the electronics. Plus, a tech company making a car…well we know how that goes!

Reactions
If you can do a master reset with out hanging, i for sure would try using Cyanlabs Sync3updater to downgrade to 22200. just do master reset followed by soft reset and then insert your downgrade USB stick like you would for any version upgrade (by USB).
I’m on my third attempt at doing this. Master reset, two soft resets, then insert USB. Each time was over an hour and I gave up. This time over 1.5 hrs it just says updating system software. I guess it starts and just hangs.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If it works, it should take 25 minutes or so. Not sure if you tried this but in Sync3updater, to keep things simple, I only have the 22200 app package selected and deselected the gracenotes and voice for updating.

If you have Forscan, you also might try jail breaking. It's not as daunting as it may seem. The FMODS site has a youtube video showing you how to do it.

Reactions
If it works, it should take 25 minutes or so. Not sure if you tried this but in Sync3updater, to keep things simple, I only have the 22200 app package selected and deselected the gracenotes and voice for updating.

If you have Forscan, you also might try jail breaking. It's not as daunting as it may seem. The FMODS site has a youtube video showing you how to do it.
Yeah, that’s what I did. Maybe I’ll try jailbreaking tomorrow.

Explorer ST Posts