Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mishimoto Intercooler Install Issues/Observations

Reactions
Update #3 - Mishimoto has updated their thread with their findings about the tab, basically saying it's safe to remove if it's not lining up properly.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...intercooler-r-d-thread.3175/page-6#post-57468

Update/Edit #2 - Mishimoto is aware of these issues and is looking into it.
Post #27 + 29 - https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...ll-issues-observations.4340/page-2#post-56874

Update/Edit #1 - I got it installed, I'll keep the original post below and add in more info about the install on my 2022 ST (Feb 2022 build date)

For starters, there's the instructions, or lack of them. They're not included, you have to go to their website, find the ST intercooler, copy the part number, then click on Extras -> Install & Tech Guides -> then paste in the part number to find the instructions.

I brought an old laptop out to the garage so I could look at them, but I was constantly walking back and forth.

Instruction quality - Not that great. Step 2 says "Remove front bumper cover" Doesn't say how to remove, just remove it. Luckily there are a couple decent videos on Youtube for it. The old laptop in the garage came in handy again.

Parts list - There isn't one. Before installation I always like to make sure I got everything in the box that should be there. If you get your vehicle torn apart and then find out you're missing something, you're SOL.

As for the install, there are 2 minor things I'll point out:
1. When removing the bumper, there are 3 plastic push pins in the wheel well, they are 2 different sizes. The smaller one goes up top.
2. There are five M6 bolts, two different lengths. I got 2 long ones and 3 short ones. The instructions say to use one of the short ones for the MAP sensor, but there wasn't any thread engagement if you use a shorter bolt (Again, it's possible Ford changed the sensor thickness). This left me with 1 long and 3 short. The instructions make no mention of what to use where, I used 2 short ones for the IC brace tubes, and then mixed 1 long and 1 short for the IC to A/C condenser mounts.

Now the big issue, the tab that doesn't fit (see below) I don't know if this is a Mishimoto issue or if Ford changed their design for 2022

I had two options: try to bend it or try to grind it narrower. Grinding would have been difficult because of the location, it would have made a mess, would have needed to grind a lot, plus lots of trial fitting.
So I went with my original thought: Break it off. I knew trying to bend it would most likely break it, and that's exactly what happened I did try to heat it with a MAP torch before bending it with Channel-Locks, but that didn't do much.

It's the driver's side, it has an upper bolt hole plus the A/C mount hole, plus the brace, it's not going anywhere. I think the tab was more to just get in place anyways.

Breaking the tab off:
IC_4.jpg

How far it's off when installed:
IC_5.jpg

Broken piece stuck in for a better idea:
IC_6.jpg

The short bolt in the MAP sensor:
IC_7.jpg

****************Original Post****************

So I'm finally getting around to installing my Mishimoto intercooler, but ran into a snag. It doesn't fit properly on the driver's side mount.

Anyone else install theirs and have an issue? 2022 ST if it makes a difference.

Here's some pics, but basically, the tab on the intercooler is about 0.10" away from going into the slot on the radiator.

If I force it in by bending the plastic slot out, then it bends the mount on the A/C condenser and the intercooler makes contact with the A/C condenser on the bottom, which is no good. I also suspect the stress of the tab in that slot could cause a crack in the radiator. Also no good.

Upper mount and lower mount lined up, tab doesn't fit
IC_1.jpg

Up close, tab is off this much:
IC_2.jpg

If I force it in, it bends this mount and hits the condenser.
IC_3.jpg

My first thought was to try and bend the tab, but it looks like cast aluminum and might just break, or I can take a grinder to it to and thin it down, but I shouldn't have to modify a $1000 part.

Needless to say, it's a holiday weekend, my car is torn apart, and I'm not very happy right now.

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I'd call Mishimoto and say what the heck? Maybe ask for a compensation if they have to return it?

OP
X
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Closed on the weekend and Monday is a holiday, so I wouldn't be able to talk to anyone until Tuesday.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Closed on the weekend and Monday is a holiday, so I wouldn't be able to talk to anyone until Tuesday.
Dang it man. I'd ask them for compensation. Like a partial refund or something.

OP
X
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Dang it man. I'd ask them for compensation. Like a partial refund or something.
I got it in, I cooled down a bit and then just removed the tab to get it to fit. I updated the first post with more details.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Makes me wonder if Ford changed something on the 22 model, I didn't see any issues in the other thread.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Makes me wonder if Ford changed something on the 22 model, I didn't see any issues in the other thread.
Great!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Well that isn’t good. Wondering if it would have been possible to file down the front portion of the plastic slot rather than break the casting to allow it to fit?

OP
X
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
The slot is part of the plastic radiator endtank, so modifying that isn't ideal.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Any1 know if there’s a similar issue with the CV fab or Whipple for the 22’s?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I installed it on a 2020 and can only relate to one of the install concerns you mention-- the drivers side radiator tab mounting. I was able to get it in without breaking the tab off the intercooler, but it did crack half of the black tab on the radiator side away when it finally set in. Just part of the front facing section, the bottom was still in tact. Which meant it was technically/partially "hooked" in. I had meant to email @Mishimoto support and forgot about it until I read your post. Sent the message today. Hopefully someone from support or Nick @Mishimoto reaches out.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So it looks like Ford didn’t change the part and sounds like a measurement issue on Mishimoto’s part when making the casting for that driver’s side mount. Something to look forward to when I get around to installing mine. :cry:

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Any1 know if there’s a similar issue with the CV fab or Whipple for the 22’s?
I've installed the Whipple on a 22 Platinum, though I'm pretty sure the radiator, etc. is identical to the ST. As I recall, everything fit perfectly and I had no problems.

Zim

Reactions
I’ve seen enough. The whipple is worth the money. lol

OP
X
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
If Ford changed something, they would have to change both the IC and the Radiator, I don't think you can change one without changing the other. So while it's not impossible for them to do, I would say it's highly unlikely.

FWIW, the part number on the sticker for my stock IC is: L1M3-6K775-BF Maybe someone else has their stock one laying around and can see if it's a different part number? A search didn't come up with much.

OP
X
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
I installed it on a 2020 and can only relate to one of the install concerns you mention-- the drivers side radiator tab mounting. I was able to get it in without breaking the tab off the intercooler, but it did crack half of the black tab on the radiator side away when it finally set in. Just part of the front facing section, the bottom was still in tact. Which meant it was technically/partially "hooked" in. I had meant to email @Mishimoto support and forgot about it until I read your post. Sent the message today. Hopefully someone from support or Nick @Mishimoto reaches out.
Glad I'm not the only one, I had to pry the black tab quite a bit to get the IC tab in, then saw how far it was off and knew something wasn't right, and pulled it out

My ST is a lease, and while I will most likely keep it, I'm doing my best to not modify stock parts to fit aftermarket stuff.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
And this, ladies and germs is how you build an expensive part that dies a violent death. CVFab anyone?

Reactions
If Ford changed something, they would have to change both the IC and the Radiator, I don't think you can change one without changing the other. So while it's not impossible for them to do, I would say it's highly unlikely.

FWIW, the part number on the sticker for my stock IC is: L1M3-6K775-BF Maybe someone else has their stock one laying around and can see if it's a different part number? A search didn't come up with much.
Same part number as my '21. I have it in my garage so I took a photo.

20220904_135729.jpg

OP
X
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
And this, ladies and germs is how you build an expensive part that dies a violent death. CVFab anyone?
That really depends on their response. It's a new offering and they have time to make it right.