Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mishimoto Intercooler Install Issues/Observations

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
And this, ladies and germs is how you build an expensive part that dies a violent death. CVFab anyone?
Looking at the CVFab, it's a sheet metal piece that gets bolted to the intercooler and slots into the plastic shroud. So if it didn't fit (the one install video I watch, the guy didn't mention it so I'm assuming it fit fine) you could easily bend it a bit to fit. Not like this cast Mishimoto tab.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That really depends on their response. It's a new offering and they have time to make it right.
Being cast on the Mishimoto potentially makes it harder to fix. I understand production tolerances, but the plastic shroud probably has decently tight tolerances. Seems like a miss.

OP
X
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
Being cast on the Mishimoto potentially makes it harder to fix. I understand production tolerances, but the plastic shroud probably has decently tight tolerances. Seems like a miss.
I'm not saying it's an easy fix, but they're pretty big in the aftermarket so I doubt they want the hit to their reputation.

LOTS of aftermarket companies have screwed up a product, how they respond is what differs the good companies from the bad.

Badst

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st iconic silver
This is a classic situation with after market performance parts from any vendor ,been through this kind of stuff modding my AMG's , sorry your going through this , I'd call company and "pitch a bitch" $1,000 head ache. It's ridiculous they couldn't even send proper instruction ,no less exact fitment.

Badst

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st iconic silver
also.,I wonder how cv/fab intercooler will install ,it's less money than Whipple intercooler too. Looks like a couple members have bought it and are installing soon

Reactions
Hey @xr4tic!

Apologies for the delayed response! Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your install, and thanks so much for bringing this to our attention - I already forwarded this over to our engineering team to look into this issue. I'll keep you guys posted as we further investigate.

Also, just as a correction to the installation instructions regarding the MAP sensor - please use the longer bolt not the shortest bolt

Definitely reach out to our customer service team and they should be able to help you out!

-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks Nick. Look forward to hearing what the engineering team has to say and what the resolution to this will be.

Reactions
Hey guys!

Back with another update and we'll be diving deeper into this. To start, we understand that this part of the installation is challenging mixed with a tight fit, and variable tolerances between different vehicles doesn't make it any easier. So, to help rectify this, or at least help clarify the installation, we're bringing in a third vehicle for another test fit and to make an install video focusing on how to get through the tricky bits. I'll be sure to post up the video and updated instructions once we have them ready.

For those currently stuck on this install, something that our engineer wanted to relay was to try slotting these tabs in from the side, which may be easier than dropping them in from overhead.

I also wanted to note that these tabs are not critical to a proper installation. They were one of the primary mounting points for the OEM intercooler, but the size and weight of our's would be way too much for these. We added the tabs as more of a locator/temporary holding position while the main mounting points are snugged down. As long as the lower struts and three other mounting points are properly aligned it's not necessary to have these tabs fully inserted, and especially if it means damaging your OE radiator.

Thanks, guys, I'll be sure to keep you posted on what we find on our next test fit, and keep you posted on the latest installation info as it becomes available

-Nick

Reactions
Hey guys!

Just another quick bump - I shot out some PMs to those who were saying they had some install difficulties. If you're having similar issues please shoot me a PM and our engineering team and I would be more than happy to help out as much as we can with the install

Thanks again, guys!

-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Glad I happened upon this thread. I ordered up a Mishimoto IC a week or so ago from Whoosh and now second guessing not going Whipple.
At this point I'll wait and see what the results are from Nick @Mishimoto and installation tips/vids. Thanks

Reactions
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to chime in here again, and make sure that you have a copy of the installation instructions!

Explorer ST Intercooler Written Installation Guide

We have our donor vehicle arriving in the shop tomorrow so we can work on the updated install guide and video. I'll keep you guys posted as those materials are finished.

-Nick

Reactions
Glad I happened upon this thread. I ordered up a Mishimoto IC a week or so ago from Whoosh and now second guessing not going Whipple.
At this point I'll wait and see what the results are from Nick @Mishimoto and installation tips/vids. Thanks
So, these tabs won't have any bearing on the proper fitment or performance of the intercooler. We kept these in the design as a temporary fixture while securing the other mounting points, so as long as the lower struts and upper points are properly aligned the intercooler is secure on the front of the vehicle

-Nick

duck fan

Reactions
So glad to read this thread. I have the broken off tab from mine sitting on my toolbox. I did a little grinding with a dremel before I gave up. The install instruction debacle is unacceptable in my opinion. I installed mine 8/6 and did it with a YouTube video on how to install the Whipple. I just had to figure out the rest on my own. I get that the @Mishimoto engineering and customer service teams are willing to help but the majority of us are doing this on the weekend with the need to have our Explorers back on the road by Monday morning.

Reactions
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone's doing with their installs! If you haven't already, make sure that you head over to our thread since I dropped a little more insight on there for those still having trouble:

Intercooler Install Tips

We also have our update installation instructions up on our website, AND are wrapping up our installation video this week as well

So glad to read this thread. I have the broken off tab from mine sitting on my toolbox. I did a little grinding with a dremel before I gave up. The install instruction debacle is unacceptable in my opinion. I installed mine 8/6 and did it with a YouTube video on how to install the Whipple. I just had to figure out the rest on my own. I get that the @Mishimoto engineering and customer service teams are willing to help but the majority of us are doing this on the weekend with the need to have our Explorers back on the road by Monday morning.

Apologies that our original installation instructions weren't up to our usual standards! We always appreciate any and all feedback, and for bringing this to our attention. Glad to hear you were able to get everything installed, but please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or need to make adjustments in the future!

-Nick

Last edited:
OP
X
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone's doing with their installs! If you haven't already, make sure that you head over to our thread since I dropped a little more insight on there for those still having trouble:

Intercooler Install Tips

We also have our update installation instructions up on our website, AND are wrapping up our installation video this week as well

Apologies that our original installation instructions weren't up to our usual standards! We always appreciate any and all feedback, and for bringing this to our attention. Glad to hear you were able to get everything installed, but please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or need to make adjustments in the future!

-Nick
Thanks for the updates Nick. I've updated my original post with this info as well.