Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Livernoise tune

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So based off comments in this thread, I have come to the following conclusions:

Do NOT buy a Livernois tune if you:
1) are going to race other tuned STs and want to win
2) own a Dragy and expect kudos and bragging rights from the numbers
3) have invested in performance parts and want maximal gains
4) expect email queries to be answered in a couple hours and not 24

LokiWolf

Reactions
So based off comments in this thread, I have come to the following conclusions:

Do NOT buy a Livernois tune if you:
1) are going to race other tuned STs and want to win
2) own a Dragy and expect kudos and bragging rights from the numbers
3) have invested in performance parts and want maximal gains
4) expect email queries to be answered in a couple hours and not 24

LMS has NEVER responded with what was needed in 24 hours...ever! I have dealt with them for 5 years now.

You also forgot.

Want a tuning device that can be used with more than one vehicle at a time.

Want a tuning device that doesn’t have to be sent to LMS to be used on your next vehicle.

Want a tuning device that can actually log parameters that matter on this Motor.

Enjoy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Damn there are a whole bunch of LIVERNOIS haters here. I have been doing business with them for 5 years now and I have found their tunes to be EXACTLY what they claim, go reliable increase in HP and TQ for the average Owner. I mean who doesn't want some extra oomph?
Their site never claims to be the "go to" place for racers but a place to get that extra punch almost all of us love without sacrificing your expensive vehicles engine to excessive stressing of the sum of its parts.
I don't want to add a whole bunch of parts and money to get the "Fastest ST on the Planet" and risk grenadeing an engine at what for me and the Average Owner is a lot of money.
As to their Customer Service, I found them to be VERY responsive to my needs and inquiries.
Yes their tuner is proprietary, so what, so are their tunes. When you sell your vehicle and buy another all it costs you to get tunes for your new vehicle is "postage" to have the tuner reprogramed and proof of sale and acquisition. It is that easy. :)
So, if you want 50+ HP and TQ without modifying your engine LIVERNOIS is your place to get it.
If you want the "The most Bad Ass ST on the Planet" Performance wise, drop several thousand into parts for your engine and another chunk of money in a custom tune from whomever is the "Flavor of the Month" tuner out there.
The choice is yours... :)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Don’t take is so personally just because everyone doesn’t choose your flavor or the month.
The points being made are valid and could help someone who’s trying to make a decision.
Most people won’t like having to send a device in for updates and wait days when a simple email and 5 minutes will suffice.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
I find nothing personal here. We are all just talking. FYI you don't have to send the LIVERNOIS tuner in for updates, you get them over your computer just by occasionally plugging the devise into your computers USB port via the supplied cable, same with new tunes.
The devise is only sent back if you change platform, like from a Ranger to an Explorer... :)

Reactions
I have a LMS tune.. kinda wish i went with ZFG. Seems like LMS is one and done, not really trying to develop the platform. Also, I hear some slight rattling under the car when I get on it, hopefully its not detonation...

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
I have a LMS tune.. kinda wish i went with ZFG. Seems like LMS is one and done, not really trying to develop the platform. Also, I hear some slight rattling under the car when I get on it, hopefully its not detonation...
Explain please, I do not understand what you are saying here.

Reactions
I had the lms tune from my 2016 and it was a free upgrade to the 2020. I just got done with the zfg tuning process. It is a night and day difference. The zfg you send in data logs and you get back a custom tune for your suv. It is way faster and better drivability. The transmission shifts are way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Explain please, I do not understand what you are saying here.
Meaning, they're not really updating the tune with new improvements or working on it. They don't really seem to be interested in the platform currently and/or pushing it further, developing new products, etc. They just came out with a tune at the begining just to have one. I went with them due to their reputation on the Ecoboost engines.

And if you want to switch to a non-LMS tune, it becomes a total waste of money as its locked in to their system.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Reactions
Meaning, they're not really updating the tune with new improvements or working on it. They don't really seem to be interested in the platform currently and/or pushing it further, developing new products, etc. They just came out with a tune at the begining just to have one. I went with them due to their reputation on the Ecoboost engines.

And if you want to switch to a non-LMS tune, it becomes a total waste of money as its locked in to their system.
Yep, their Tuning Hardware is proprietary. My biggest complaint with them honestly.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Agreed. Unlike some of their other tunes that have 93 separate from 91, they just have a 91-93 octane for our Explorer--to me that just says they didn't want to be bothered. They also don't want to look into displaying the gear all the time, like other tuners can enable. I suspect unless there is a glaring problem that needs to be fixed, the initial tunes are the only tunes we are going to get. That said, the power delivery is smooth and the crisp/firm shifting is an improvement over stock.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Agreed. Unlike some of their other tunes that have 93 separate from 91, they just have a 91-93 octane for our Explorer--to me that just says they didn't want to be bothered.
I'm no tuning expert, so take this with a grain of salt. But it would seem to me that the knock sensors could easily adjust engine timing between 91 and 93 octane, right? Is there really a need to have two different tunes for that?

I am not saying this is smart, nor am I suggesting to do it, but my wife filled up my 93 octane tuned 2015 edge sport with 87. I knew she filled it up but it didn't cross my mind that she didn't use 93, so I drove the edge hard like I normally do. It felt slow and sluggish (like a stock tune, not like there was anything wrong) but I never heard a single bit of knock, never had a check engine light come on or anything (after that I asked her about it and that was how I found out). I would imagine the knock sensors are still fully functional even in tuned vehicles. I mean, why would a tuner turn them off? That's more liability on their end if they do.

Again, not a tuner or a tuning expert, just my own personal experience. And I have never owned an LMS tune/tuner so I have no dog in that fight.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions

OK, I now understand your original post. I have had Livernois tunes in my 2017 Explorer Sport, liked it a lot, then I switched that same tuner over to my 2019 Ranger, that tune was AWESOME! I just got my tuner back from Livernois and I am in the process of installing a Livernois tune on my 2020 ST.
When you say Livernois doesn't upgrade their tunes I have to disagree. They updated the Ranger tune 3 times in 18 months. I didn't do the upgrades to the Sport because I didn't know about them but I understand they were published.
I can't believe that Livernois will not publish upgrades to the ST tune as well. And like you all my Livernois changes cost me was shipping to re-flash the tuner between platforms so my investment is minimal, relatively speaking.
Now if the Livernois tune doesn't make me smile, I can always go back to stock and go with someone else's tuner and tune. But i suspect I won't because in the end, I don't plan on adding any "Go Fast" hardware to my vehicle, I just want a bit more oomph to get the smile started. :)

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Well today is Thursday, on Tuesday I received my tuner back from Livernois (although Livernois gave UPS a package for me Wednesday last week, UPS decided that there was no hurry in delivering it to me, not Livernois fault) so I unboxed it, plugged it into the ST and downloaded my stock tune and retrieved some info Livernois required. I upload the stock tune to Livernois and emailed them the information they needed from me.
Late Wednesday afternoon I received an email from Livernois that my requested tunes were ready for download, so I downloaded them into my tuner.
After a Dr. appt and some errands today I uploaded the tune into the ST.
I make no claim that this is the greatest tune since sliced bread but my zero to 60 time in Sport Mode went from a touch over 5 seconds (Ford says 5.5) to a measured (by stop watch) 4 seconds flat! I'd say that was impressive.
Now I know that the youngsters out there are doing it in 3 sec or less with someone else's tune and some added equipment and that's cool. But I got that little bit of extra oomph I wanted for FREE because I already own the tuner (proprietary to them but so what.) Now that is a GREAT company to do business with! :):cool::)

LokiWolf

Reactions
Well today is Thursday, on Tuesday I received my tuner back from Livernois (although Livernois gave UPS a package for me Wednesday last week, UPS decided that there was no hurry in delivering it to me, not Livernois fault) so I unboxed it, plugged it into the ST and downloaded my stock tune and retrieved some info Livernois required. I upload the stock tune to Livernois and emailed them the information they needed from me.
Late Wednesday afternoon I received an email from Livernois that my requested tunes were ready for download, so I downloaded them into my tuner.
After a Dr. appt and some errands today I uploaded the tune into the ST.
I make no claim that this is the greatest tune since sliced bread but my zero to 60 time in Sport Mode went from a touch over 5 seconds (Ford says 5.5) to a measured (by stop watch) 4 seconds flat! I'd say that was impressive.
Now I know that the youngsters out there are doing it in 3 sec or less with someone else's tune and some added equipment and that's cool. But I got that little bit of extra oomph I wanted for FREE because I already own the tuner (proprietary to them but so what.) Now that is a GREAT company to do business with! :):cool::)

There is ABSOLUTELY no way the LMS 93 tune is doing 0-60 in 4.0!! Please get an accurate measuring device and try that again.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m definitely glad you’re happy and saving money is always a bonus...but stopwatches aren’t gonna cut it. Please don’t claim a 4.0 without some kind of actual measuring device.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions

There is ABSOLUTELY no way the LMS 93 tune is doing 0-60 in 4.0!! Please get an accurate measuring device and try that again.

truth hurts...

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Amazing! Just because you want the fastest ST on the planet and you drop a bunch of money to do so and then along comes ME and I get significant gains with just a tune YOU scoff at you call me a liar!
Well bit my ass!
Let's just say that I got what I wanted and you are still chasing your dream...

Reactions
Amazing! Just because you want the fastest ST on the planet and you drop a bunch of money to do so and then along comes ME and I get significant gains with just a tune YOU scoff at you call me a liar!
Well bit my ass!
Let's just say that I got what I wanted and you are still chasing your dream...
I have the Livernois tune and like yours it was free. I went from 0-60 in 5.1 seconds stock to 4.78 with the tune. This was verified with a very accurate timing device called Dragy. Your results are atypical from what others are seeing with the same tune and that's why it's being questioned. Is it possible your manual timing is accurate, yes but it would also mean Livernois updated their tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk