Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Installed a really slick LED strip - hope you enjoy!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 FordExplorer ST
OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
Thread Starter #22
Check your piggyback fuses - may not be in the whole way, they’re pretty tight

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
Also make sure it’s fuse #21 and it will power on when the vehicle starts

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 FordExplorer ST
Check your piggyback fuses - may not be in the whole way, they’re pretty tight
I just double checked and everything is in. Red is going to adapter into #21 with 2 fuses in back. Black to ground. Startup car adnd headlights come on but no led strip......I'm so frustrated at this point, I appreciate you tryin to help

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I just double checked and everything is in. Red is going to adapter into #21 with 2 fuses in back. Black to ground. Startup car adnd headlights come on but no led strip......I'm so frustrated at this point, I appreciate you tryin to help
I haven’t done this install so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Assuming there’s enough wire (or adding a piece if there isn’t enough), I’d remove the red from #21 and touch it directly to the battery. That would tell me whether my ground connection is good.

Snoopyto

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I haven’t done this install so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Assuming there’s enough wire (or adding a piece if there isn’t enough), I’d remove the red from #21 and touch it directly to the battery. That would tell me whether my ground connection is good.
So I found a ground in plain view, was not optimal but was okay. Also make sure your fuse piggyback goes the same way as in the picture. I may try to move to headlight for cleaner install.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #27
10a fuse in the bottom and 5a on the top? The wires in the led strip are really thin - are you sure they’re crimped/soldered well?

578EC663-18EA-40F9-8143-84B274A67FDB.jpeg

Shiver

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
10a fuse in the bottom and 5a on the top? The wires in the led strip are really thin - are you sure they’re crimped/soldered well?

View attachment 17106
10 and 5 on the top ,my light works. Thanks you !(y)

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
Awesome!!!

Hank73

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Without the rubber strip on the hood, the hood slams down on the light strip, right? Is that a concern? Is it possible to attach the light strip forward of the rubber?
I tried installing one with the rubber strip still on the hood and no matter how far out I put the light strip the hood wouldn’t close.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I tried installing one with the rubber strip still on the hood and no matter how far out I put the light strip the hood wouldn’t close.
Thanks for that. It’s a deal breaker for me.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #32
could always devise a small gasket to go between the LED and the hood, I may try that out when I do my intercooler as I'll have to remove the LED strip to do that :)

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #33
I have to say, I get comments every time I remote start my ST :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
There are height-adjustable "stops" that control how far down the hood goes (also control alignment of the hood and the fenders). Turn those down a few turns and see what you get. I had to turn mine up to make the hood/fender alignment better.

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
There are height-adjustable "stops" that control how far down the hood goes (also control alignment of the hood and the fenders). Turn those down a few turns and see what you get. I had to turn mine up to make the hood/fender alignment better.
Wouldn’t that make it misaligned with the fenders though?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Wouldn’t that make it misaligned with the fenders though?
It can. When I bought mine, the hood was lower than the fenders. I got that cured. When I added the light strip yesterday, I had to lower the hood just a pinch so it would latch. It still sits a bit above the fender lines.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Use the posts near the front of the hood (there are four). I had to turn mine down about two turns to get the latch to cooperate. Not a big deal - the hood/fender alignment is still good.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Use the posts near the front of the hood (there are four). I had to turn mine down about two turns to get the latch to cooperate. Not a big deal - the hood/fender alignment is still good.
Any chance to see some photos. Maybe from the front and the side (hood/fender alignment)? Thanks!

Daamus

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 XLT
So I got this light kit and went to install it on my XLT but ran into a snag, maybe someone can help?

Was going to get the fuse tap setup but noticed I dont have a 10a fuse in my 21 slot, this confused me but thought I'd just plug into the 21 slot anyways but this didnt work :(

Heres a pic of my fuse box,
is there another one I should try to tap into?