Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Installed a really slick LED strip - hope you enjoy!

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
Thread Starter #41
You may want to try the 15A in #26 - you need key-on power, I’d think the transmission control module would only be powered when the ignition is on

Daamus

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 XLT
You may want to try the 15A in #26 - you need key-on power, I’d think the transmission control module would only be powered when the ignition is on
I actually got it to work last night by using another 10a fuse in the #134 spot for 'Family Entertainment System'. Only thing is now it doesn't come on with remote start, only when started from inside the vehicle, I assume this is because the radio needs to be on now for it to work.

I'm so confused as to why I dont have a fuse in #21 but my headlamps are functioning just fine?

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #43
glad it's working, #21 is for adaptive headlamps so maybe not an option on your car - assume when you start the car (when in the vehicle) is when they work?

would have to understand the vehicle wiring schematics a bit more, maybe tie into a marker/parking light fuse? those I believe come on during remote start

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
22 is the Electric Power Steering. That should be valid.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
glad it's working, #21 is for adaptive headlamps so maybe not an option on your car - assume when you start the car (when in the vehicle) is when they work?

would have to understand the vehicle wiring schematics a bit more, maybe tie into a marker/parking light fuse? those I believe come on during remote start
The DRL and parking lamps are in the panel under the dash. Unless the lead for the parking lamps can be positively identified, getting to that panel may be the only way. Does anyone know a good path through the firewall?

Daamus

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 XLT
went to show my buddy the light installed and found that part of it is not functioning :(

only lighting up over the driver side headlight now. Has to be a bad light right? Did the TX heat kill it?

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #47
very odd - send feedback to the seller, they may replace it - we've had 108-109F days here in NorCal - our strip is working fine

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
went to show my buddy the light installed and found that part of it is not functioning :(

only lighting up over the driver side headlight now. Has to be a bad light right? Did the TX heat kill it?
Does the chase not light either, or does it settle with one side out?

ARKY

U.S. Navy Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Not yet - I installed it and my wife works nights so I have to wait till her week is done
I really appreciate all the information you provided on this hood LED strip. I'm going to get one myself now and install it, all of the information you provided will make it so much easier. I noticed the blue strut brace, can you tell a difference with a new one instead of the factory installed? If so, if you don't mind me asking which one did you purchase?

Copper2020

U.S. Navy Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
NGL that looks dope af and really looks like it belongs. Not garish or gaudy.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #51
I really appreciate all the information you provided on this hood LED strip. I'm going to get one myself now and install it, all of the information you provided will make it so much easier. I noticed the blue strut brace, can you tell a difference with a new one instead of the factory installed? If so, if you don't mind me asking which one did you purchase?
it's the steeda strut tower brace, you call them and they'll powder coat it Steeda Blue for an extra $25 - I love it! can't really tell much of a difference, the chassis already feels pretty tight from factory - I'm sure it helps if you're pretty radical with your driving though :)

NYPigskin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
As per the SilverHolder website,
Can these be cut down?
You can reduce the length, but you need to use waterproof glue to cover the cut port to make the light bar waterproof.
This makes these even more attractive.
Buy them from Amazon.com: SilverHolder Car Hood Light Strip White 70 Inches Exterior Flexible Daytime LED Running Light for Cars, SUVs, Trucks : Automotive and return them if they get screwed up. Just say they didn't work. Free return shipping.

sburg1616

Reactions
Vehicle
2018 Ford Raptor
@Toadster I recently bought the same light strip, I love it and get compliments all the time. Thank you for the write up and pictures it made my decision easy. Got a question you might be able to help out with. The strip I purchased has a blinker function, but I was unable or just too lazy to figure out how to wire the blinkers up. Any idea where I can tap into the blinker on the main wiring harness on the headlights?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BYP3QPZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Ljn21

Reactions
Has anyone got this to work and was able to leave the OEM seal in place?

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #55
Has anyone got this to work and was able to leave the OEM seal in place?
I’m sure it can stay in place - just have to place the strip in front of the seal - honestly I was just doing a quick setup and ripped the seal out

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #56
@Toadster I recently bought the same light strip, I love it and get compliments all the time. Thank you for the write up and pictures it made my decision easy. Got a question you might be able to help out with. The strip I purchased has a blinker function, but I was unable or just too lazy to figure out how to wire the blinkers up. Any idea where I can tap into the blinker on the main wiring harness on the headlights?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BYP3QPZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Unsure of the blinker tie in - would want to tie into the turn signal flashers though

Fade2black

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi,
just installed this and figured out if you undo the hood lock bracket on the hood and place a washer between the hood and the bracket I was able to latch the hood without removing the weatherstripping.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hi,
just installed this and figured out if you undo the hood lock bracket on the hood and place a washer between the hood and the bracket I was able to latch the hood without removing the weatherstripping.
Is there any noticeable abnormal spacing between body panels like a Tesla though?

Fade2black

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is there any noticeable abnormal spacing between body panels like a Tesla though?
It looks e the same to me, didn’t notice any difference