Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-to: Front climate control swap(add 20-21 temp display to 22+)

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I think I may be in the same boat.
The box top has the exact part I ordered, but the subassembly has a different part number similar to the poster above. View attachment 16146
Yea I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the part number on the labels is for the back half of the module (the body without the knobs and buttons or some permutation of that)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I think I may be in the same boat.
The box top has the exact part I ordered, but the subassembly has a different part number similar to the poster above.
should work fine as mine with the same part number hasnt had any issues and works as its supposed to

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Success
Installed the new front climate control. It was a snap pardon the pun honestly took me all of about 20 minutes, watching the videos in this thread and listening to the folks on how to exactly position the climate control consul is what made it so easy.

So thank you to all who suffered the painstaking process and made it much easier for the folks that followed your foot steps.
3E87BA98-44D6-4774-858A-18DB1EC63486.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Folks know that a few of us have replaced the original front climate control module with one that displays the temperature, what are you folks doing with the original? Are you selling? Is there a market for it?

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Folks know that a few of us have replaced the original front climate control module with one that displays the temperature, what are you folks doing with the original? Are you selling? Is there a market for it?
Mines just sitting in the box. The new one came in in my garage. I don’t know if there is a market but I would sell it if someone wanted it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Mines just sitting in the box. The new one came in in my garage. I don’t know if there is a market but I would sell it if someone wanted it.
My basement in my garage is full of old car parts that I always said I’m gonna hang onto it and use it someday. And never did. I figured if I can sell this for at least what I paid for the replacement unit. I’ll be better off than just throwing it up on the shelf.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Keep the old in case you have to lemon law the car or decide to trade it in, then swap it back. Then you have a good one with display for your next ST. Because we all know once ford takes something away, it never comes back, so odds are all ST's going forward will not have the temp display ever again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
$170 here in Phx... Might find a few dealerships around the country to ship at cheaper... My '22 only reads temp on the screen face, no display on the controls. It would be nice to have. Can you adjust driver and passenger at the same time with this control? With '22 being on the screen, if the driver is turning up the temp on that side, the passenger has to wait until driver is done to turn up passenger. They can not be changed at the same time, which is SUPER ANOYING!!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
$170 here in Phx... Might find a few dealerships around the country to ship at cheaper... My '22 only reads temp on the screen face, no display on the controls. It would be nice to have. Can you adjust driver and passenger at the same time with this control? With '22 being on the screen, if the driver is turning up the temp on that side, the passenger has to wait until driver is done to turn up passenger. They can not be changed at the same time, which is SUPER ANOYING!!!
Oh i need to go try that out. I never saw that but i would assume the updated controller should allow at the same time

bpenn8966

Reactions
Thanks for making me spend money I didn't know I needed to.

Thanks to everyone's input and experiences here it was a breeze. Had it swapped out and programmed in about 20 minutes.

Thanks again!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Swapped mine tonight. Thanks much to the pointers and videos. Made it a pretty easy job. As other indicated passenger side is a bit of a bugger. Mine seemed to work just fine without writing the As Built file but did so anyway.

Michelle

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer St 2022
I assume it could be done but may need some changes in Forscan. I'm going to follow this because I am interested in this also if it is an easy thing to do.
Hi...
It looks like for de-contented the front climate control at some point removing the little temp screen above the temperature buttons. Does anyone know if the older controller can be swapped in and the display work without further modification(edit: spoiler, it can)?

Update Guide:
Heated seats and Steering wheel. Part # LB5T-18C612-DG
Heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel. Part# LB5Z-19980-D

guide linked before for removal and install of the controller, I believe you will need t-20 torx bit for the screws holding the controller to the face plate. The guide also calls for a 7mm socket for the screw attachment for the lower section of faceplate.

You will need a forscan setup, you will need to save the HVAC controller data from you factory installed controller, and write that config to the new controller once installed. Some things seem to work without a written config, but there are a lot of config flags to write. Brand new controllers have all NULL config data.

@randyknight made a video of the install -
Hi.. is necessary do the Forscan process when changing the HVAC of the Explorer ST 2022 to 2020 ???

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi.. is necessary do the Forscan process when changing the HVAC of the Explorer ST 2022 to 2020 ???
I believe that everyone posting here that they made the swap used Forscan (myself included). i’ve seen some folks over in the F-150 forums say they made similar swaps without using Forscan but most of the folks there used Forscan. So it might be possible but it’s less risky to do the swap using Forscan. Besides there’s so many other useful mods that can be done with Forscan that I can’t imagine owning a Ford product and not having it and the required adapter.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Hi...

I would assume that it will not work with the FORScan programming. If you have never messed with FORScan before, it seems daunting, but I promise, it's REALLY easy to use. Here is a good tutorial, and there are some links to some how-to videos on there as well

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

jdgohus

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi everyone, new poster here. My new black 2022 Explorer ST just turned 2000 miles today and is my 5th Explorer.

Anybody bother to check for DTC's after installing this HVAC module? I ordered the part number from Randy's video and installed it Sunday. Followed the video and first backed up the HVAC as built data, installed the module and wrote the backup file to the new module. Looks like everything is working OK after checking every button and options and then I checked DTC's and I get a HVAC U2024:51-0A,

Code: U2024 - Control Module Cal-Config Data
Additional Fault Symptom:
- Not Programmed
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

I have cleared the DTC and it comes right back. I re-wrote the backup file and still get the DTC. Anyone else getting this DTC after installing this HVAC module, LB5Z-19980-D?

Thanks in advance

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi everyone, new poster here. My new black 2022 Explorer ST just turned 2000 miles today and is my 5th Explorer.

Anybody bother to check for DTC's after installing this HVAC module? I ordered the part number from Randy's video and installed it Sunday. Followed the video and first backed up the HVAC as built data, installed the module and wrote the backup file to the new module. Looks like everything is working OK after checking every button and options and then I checked DTC's and I get a HVAC U2024:51-0A,

- Not Programmed

I have cleared the DTC and it comes right back. I re-wrote the backup file and still get the DTC. Anyone else getting this DTC after installing this HVAC module, LB5Z-19980-D?

Thanks in advance
Welcome and good luck figuring this out.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions

- Not Programmed

Thanks in advance
This is perfectly normal. Because the VIN is hard coded into the modules, you cannot clear that one particular DTC. Even FDRS programming does not clear that DTC. I think you have to have more dealer specific equipment in order to remove that completely. It does not affect performance or functionality in any way though. Out of the 20+ people that I have heard of having this DTC, not a single person has had an issue

Reactions
I agree with Dolsen, this DTC code doesn't affect anything. Most of us, if not all, who swapped the control unit have this error code.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I agree with Dolsen, this DTC code doesn't affect anything. Most of us, if not all, who swapped the control unit have this error code.
Yea this is happening in both the 20+ Explorers and the 21+ F150's. Possibly others too, but I am not on any other forums to verify this

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ill have to hook my laptop back up to my car and check to see if i have this code. I did not have any codes right after install, but it's been a while now. I was under the assumption that the reason we had to save the AS Built and write it to the new module is to prevent this because the VIN is hard coded into the module. A new replacement should not be assigned a VIN. I wonder why this is still happening ?