Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-to: Front climate control swap(add 20-21 temp display to 22+)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I got my A/C control off a wrecked Ford Explorer but don't have any DTC codes.

Where are you guys getting the error code from?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
i would think if its not showing a CEL then I wouldnt worry about it TBH. the code is specific to that one part and, as im sure others will note, it hasnt adversely effected any systems.

jdgohus

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Being my ST is new and under warranty I don't want to void anything. I may just install the original HVAC module for now until we find more information about the codes. No doubt it is due to the fact that we are installing a module not truly compatible for newer Explorers. I understand that it should not effect operation but who knows.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Went in and checked in Forscan and it did have the DTC code for the HVAC Module and oddly one in the Audio module which is probably related to my getting rid of the FEGN. Neither DTC indicated that it would set off the Check Engine Light, so I’m fine living with them. It will be interesting to see if when the vehicle goes in next week for the camera recall, if they mention anything about the DTCs or attempt to correct them.

jdgohus

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I just got done installing the original module back in and it cleared that DTC. I to was wondering what my ford tech would say when he performs the camera recall and being under warranty I did not want to take any chances. My guess is the system is not seeing the original module installed meaning (not programed) and probably because the module we upgraded to does not have the VIN hard coded into it. Is there a way to properly program these upgraded modules to be compatible with the newer Explorers?

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Hi everyone, new poster here. My new black 2022 Explorer ST just turned 2000 miles today and is my 5th Explorer.

Anybody bother to check for DTC's after installing this HVAC module? I ordered the part number from Randy's video and installed it Sunday. Followed the video and first backed up the HVAC as built data, installed the module and wrote the backup file to the new module. Looks like everything is working OK after checking every button and options and then I checked DTC's and I get a HVAC U2024:51-0A,

Code: U2024 - Control Module Cal-Config Data
Additional Fault Symptom:
- Not Programmed
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

I have cleared the DTC and it comes right back. I re-wrote the backup file and still get the DTC. Anyone else getting this DTC after installing this HVAC module, LB5Z-19980-D?

Thanks in advance
That code seems like the as-built data wasn't written completely/correctly. There's actually a code to represent an invalid VIN DTC. VIN data is written with as-built data, it's not hard coded on any module. I'd double check your as-built data with the ford site to verify it was written correctly. Additionally, there's a procedure in Forscan that will re-calibrate the HVAC motors. That's always good to do after swapping that module because not all systems are identical.

I did this swap on my 2023 ST before even finding this page. I don't remember what year mine came out of, but obviously older than a 23. lol I've got no errors.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt - This site will prompt you for your country, then take you to the default site. Then click this link again and enter your VIN. Look for module starting at 733-01-01

HVAC.jpg

Last edited:

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
That code seems like the as-built data wasn't written completely/correctly. There's actually a code to represent an invalid VIN DTC. VIN data is written with as-built data, it's not hard coded on any module. I'd double check your as-built data with the ford site to verify it was written correctly. Additionally, there's a procedure in Forscan that will re-calibrate the HVAC motors. That's always good to do after swapping that module because not all systems are identical.

I did this swap on my 2023 ST before even finding this page. I don't remember what year mine came out of, but obviously older than a 23. lol I've got no errors.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt - This site will prompt you for your country, then take you to the default site. Then click this link again and enter your VIN. Look for module starting at 733-01-01

View attachment 17164
Only one person that I know of on the F-150 forums has been able to make this DTC go away (he has hardware and software unavailable to the public and is often able to accomplish feats that even most or all Ford techs/dealers cannot), and there's a ton of people doing this switch in the trucks. I would be shocked if that calibration actually got rid of it. I had that exact same DTC on my WACM, SCCM, HCM, and HVAC due to adding them to the truck after it was built and programmed and there are no calibrations for 2 of those 4. Even the calibration I ran on the HCM did not make that DTC go away.

I certainly hope to be proved wrong though.