Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-to: Front climate control swap(add 20-21 temp display to 22+)

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
so i guess i didnt follow when you were in forscan. you saved the stock config, installed the part then reloaded the stock config again? what did you change in Forscan?
There are no changes made in FORScan, but the as-builts in a new HVAC module will not match up with factory as builts in pretty much every single case. If the correct as builts are not loaded into the new module, odds are it will not work correctly or at all.

"as-builts" aren't programs, the module is already programmed. As-builts are just bits that tell the programming in what way to run based on the vehicle configuration.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
ooh so i think I get it now. when the system sees the new controller it will show up in forscan as "null", meaning it wont know what to do with it. So by replacing the old "as-builts" that you saved before pulling the old unit out, it then tells the new unit what its supposed to do.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
ooh so i think I get it now. when the system sees the new controller it will show up in forscan as "null", meaning it wont know what to do with it. So by replacing the old "as-builts" that you saved before pulling the old unit out, it then tells the new unit what its supposed to do.
If you have Wifi on the Laptop with forscan. You can get the As-Built from the Ford Server.

Watch this videooo

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
If you have Wifi on the Laptop with forscan. You can get the As-Built from the Ford Server.

Watch this videooo

does clicking the button for the "as-built" restore just that line of code or does it do it for all? meaning if you do it for PDM does it change the BDYCM and the rest or just that one page?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Very nice video. Thank you for taking the time.
now you went ahead and gave me the itch!

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Watch this videooo

I heard about this and saw this video but I don't trust it. It is just as easy to save your from your vehicle and re-write it to the new one. That way you know you have the correct as built 100%.
That feature of pulling your as builts is more for if you have made changes and don't remember what they are or changed something you didn't realise and now something isn't functioning correctly. It is a "return to stock" for your As Builts if your at your wits end. Just how I look at it anyhow.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I am not a pro when it comes to any of this stuff, so my understanding could be incorrect. But the way I understand it is this:

The modules are already programmed, and the HVAC module knows its an HVAC module, but the HVAC module doesn't know how to operate based on the options each vehicle has. I am not sure if you are aware, but in some vehicles, headlamps and the light load sensor (among other things) are tied to the HVAC. I'm certain there are other things as well, so all of these items tied to the HVAC must be accounted for. You have to tell it what options the vehicle has and which signals to look for from other systems in order for the HVAC to operate correctly.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
does clicking the button for the "as-built" restore just that line of code or does it do it for all? meaning if you do it for PDM does it change the BDYCM and the rest or just that one page?
I don't think if affects anything more than one module at a time, but I have also never used the feature. I believe you have to write the changes into one module before moving onto the next

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Hey folks, I’m very interested in modifying this front climate control on my 2022ST. When I check part number on direct parts.com It states that part number LB5Z19980D is not correct for a 2022ST Ford Explorer. If anyone knows the exact part number or feels like this part number is the correct one please let me know.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hey folks, I’m very interested in modifying this front climate control on my 2022ST. When I check part number on direct parts.com It states that part number LB5Z19980D is not correct for a 2022ST Ford Explorer. If anyone knows the exact part number or feels like this part number is the correct one please let me know.
This site looks like it should work.
https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Ford__/HVAC-Heater-Control-Switch-Bezel/98555443/LB5Z19980D.html

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Its going to say that because the 2022's didnt come with that part, which is why this thread was created.

If you use the part number form my video in the first post its the correct part number if you want the temp display on the unit and have heated seats, ventilated seats and heated steering wheel.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Its going to say that because the 2022's didnt come with that part, which is why this thread was created.

If you use the part number form my video in the first post its the correct part number if you want the temp display on the unit and have heated seats, ventilated seats and heated steering wheel.
Just saying that the Lakeland Ford site shows it fitting the 2022

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST

OK great. That’s what I was hoping to hear.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
And that’s what scares me. That’s the only place that shows for 2022. All of the site said this doesn’t fit your vehicle.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
And that’s what scares me. That’s the only place that shows for 2022. All of the site said this doesn’t fit your vehicle.
Google ford LB5Z19980D I seen at least 3 others that say it fits a 2022. I'm sure there are more also as I only checked a hand full. And member @randyknight that did the video also says it fits. Good luck.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ok. And I told you why it says that. You asked for the correct part number and you have it. I was just attempting to answer your question.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
Just ordered from sunrise ford. Price include shipping was $109.59. Best price I found.