Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-to: Front climate control swap(add 20-21 temp display to 22+)

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
It looks like for de-contented the front climate control at some point removing the little temp screen above the temperature buttons. Does anyone know if the older controller can be swapped in and the display work without further modification(edit: spoiler, it can)?

Update Guide:
Heated seats and Steering wheel. Part # LB5T-18C612-DG
Heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel. Part# LB5Z-19980-D

guide linked before for removal and install of the controller, I believe you will need t-20 torx bit for the screws holding the controller to the face plate. The guide also calls for a 7mm socket for the screw attachment for the lower section of faceplate.

You will need a forscan setup, you will need to save the HVAC controller data from you factory installed controller, and write that config to the new controller once installed. Some things seem to work without a written config, but there are a lot of config flags to write. Brand new controllers have all NULL config data.

@randyknight made a video of the install -

Attachments

Last edited:

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
It looks like for de-contented the front climate control at some point removing the little temp screen above the temperature buttons. Does anyone know if the older controller can be swapped in and the display work without further modification?
I assume it could be done but may need some changes in Forscan. I'm going to follow this because I am interested in this also if it is an easy thing to do.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I plan to do this in my F-150 soon (temp readouts were removed after 2021 MY and I have a 22). I already have the module, I do not see any forscan programming for the F-150 in order to enable the temp read out. You WILL have to drop your as-builts into it though. These also have the VIN hardcoded in them, which will likely cause a DTC to pop up, but I do not believe it affects operation. Several F-150 guys have already done this.

OP
locoliberty

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #4
I assume it could be done but may need some changes in Forscan. I'm going to follow this because I am interested in this also if it is an easy thing to do.
I literally got the ST 2 days ago. SO not sure how quick im going to drop about 200 off a unit from ebay. But we will see

OP
locoliberty

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #5
I plan to do this in my F-150 soon (temp readouts were removed after 2021 MY and I have a 22). I already have the module, I do not see any forscan programming for the F-150 in order to enable the temp read out. You WILL have to drop your as-builts into it though. These also have the VIN hardcoded in them, which will likely cause a DTC to pop up, but I do not believe it affects operation. Several F-150 guys have already done this.
What module is this listed as in forscan?

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
HVAC module. From what I understand, you need to go in and create a backup of your current HVAC as builts, then do the swap, the rewrite the new module with the as-built back ups from the one you removed. That is the process for the F-150, I imagine it would be the same for the Explorer, but I guarantee nothing.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I literally got the ST 2 days ago. SO not sure how quick im going to drop about 200 off a unit from ebay. But we will see
I paid $330 for a new one for my (at the time) 3 week old F-150 lol

OP
locoliberty

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #8
I paid $330 for a new one for my (at the time) 3 week old F-150 lol
See I gotta wait a few weeks ;)

OP
locoliberty

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #10
Do you have the part number for the controller?
Ive found these 2, both appear to have the little LCD displays
LB5T-18C612-DG (gloss buttons)
LB5T-18C612-EE (matte buttons)

incorrect

Last edited:
OP
locoliberty

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #11

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
OP
locoliberty

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #14
HVAC controller on order, lets hope I ordered the right one. no returns period on special order electronics.

OP
locoliberty

locoliberty

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #15
Confirmed the PN and looks like the right unit. now to find time to replace whats in the dash and do programming.

Attachments

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’m interested in the programming part. Like what has to be done.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks. How did I miss that?
Seems pretty straightforward just save the as built information from yours and write it directly to the new one. I may do this to mine. I know some people don’t care, but I would like to have the temperature read out down below also and if it’s under 200 bucks for the part, then it seems good to me.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Confirmed the PN and looks like the right unit. now to find time to replace whats in the dash and do programming.
That looks about right, it appears it even has the temp readout display

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thanks. How did I miss that?
Seems pretty straightforward just save the as built information from yours and write it directly to the new one. I may do this to mine. I know some people don’t care, but I would like to have the temperature read out down below also and if it’s under 200 bucks for the part, then it seems good to me.
I'm with you 100% on that, I am doing the same in my F-150