Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Happy Memorial Day (Early)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
For all those who have served, and are gone, thank you for your service.
We think of and honor you all, during this weekend, as we should appreciate your sacrifices every day.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I say a prayer for dear friends i lost on active duty and a prayer for the souls of all my brothers and sisters who stood the watch and are now gone
may their souls have peace at the right hand of our father in heaven
AMEN

its not about mattress sales and the like

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thanks guys I lost a few friends in Vietnam. I will never forget them as long as I live .

Reactions
Thank you all who served or serving now or will serve!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Wishing someone a "Happy" Memorial Day really illustrates a complete lack of understanding of the date and the event itself as no one associated with such an event is "happy" with the result--they never came home.

1716690698093.png

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thank you for reminding everybody what Memorial Day is about. People sometime get it confused with Veterans Day.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Wishing someone a "Happy" Memorial Day really illustrates a complete lack of understanding of the date and the event itself as no one associated with such an event is "happy" with the result--they never came home.

View attachment 23328
I don’t understand this mindset. When people make this argument, It’s just their reason to get offended.

I think we should all be happy on Memorial Day. We should be happy that we have fellow Americans that so deeply believe in freedom for others they gave their lives to defend it, and we should love, remember, and celebrate them, in happy ways. I can promise you, not a single person I served with, dead or alive, would want you to be anything other than happy about your God given rights and freedoms they defended and gave their lives for.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think we should all be happy on Memorial Day.
Although I am most grateful for those who were willing to, and indeed did, give the full measure, I am not at all happy that they did so. The words are not synonymous. In fact, having personally lost a close relative in war, I am both grateful and sad.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #9
I appreciate that everyone has their own way of dealing with the loss of friends, relatives, and squad mates in conflict. We are all sorry for your loss.

There is no confusion here.
Those who chose, and some who did not, to serve our country and paid the heaviest price to ensure our freedoms, are honored on this day.

I wish a Happy Memorial to those who carry on in life, surviving those who did not. We remember those who are gone, in happiness, wishing that our loved ones feel it, and never forgetting the loss, and what caused it to happen.

Please understand, there is no ill-intent, only a wish to support those who remember every day.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I wish a Happy Memorial
Which, again, illustrates your apparent lack of understanding of the purpose and/or intent of this day, which is to memorialize those who paid the ultimate price in their defense of our country and our hard-fought freedoms.

There is nothing "happy" about this particular day, ever, so maybe stop digging the hole that you have created for yourself.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Which, again, illustrates your apparent lack of understanding of the purpose and/or intent of this day, which is to memorialize those who paid the ultimate price in their defense of our country and our hard-fought freedoms.

There is nothing "happy" about this particular day, ever, so maybe stop digging the hole that you have created for yourself.
There is no hole dug here, only the hill you've chosen to die on. Someone has a different perspective than you do. That doesn't make their perspective wrong, and yours right, and it certainly doesn't mean they don't understand the purpose behind this holiday.

You don't know anything about them, who or how many they may have lost as casualties of war. You simply assume too much, and seem to presume yourself worthy of being a preacher by telling them how they should feel or greet someone. They see things differently, that doesn't mean they don't understand the hard fought freedoms this country enjoys and how we got them.

People mourn and pay respect in different ways. Some visit the military wall in the cemetery, some get up early and go to the flag raising ceremony, people do things differently. We get it, and you're teaching nothing new here, just ranting. I see someone doing this on one forum or another almost every year when this date comes around.

Lastly, there is something happy about this day, we're here and able to enjoy it because of the sacrifice of others. I think those heroes would be glad to know we do.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Lastly, there is something happy about this day, we're here and able to enjoy it because of the sacrifice of others. I think those heroes would be glad to know we do.
That’s pretty much exactly what my point was, I think you said it better though
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Lastly, there is something happy about this day...
No, there is not. As stated previously, gratitude and happiness are two entirely different things. Additionally, those who are "happy" that such a day as Memorial Day even exists display a callousness beyond description.
1716903495431.png

RacerX33

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
@
SETXExpSTGuy

I believe all the veterans you are trying to school on here know the difference between memorial day and veterans day. Maybe some use it to remember the good things about people they have lost? Memorial day is for remembrance. Who declares it must be sorrow?
All I can do for you in the way of giving a tint bit of advice, is,....
Lighten up Francis

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You do not, and cannot, possibly speak for "all the veterans" on this site or elsewhere. Additionally, and as is evidenced by this thread alone, there obviously still exists more than a bit of confusion with regard to the intent, creation, and meaning of the Memorial Day holiday and/or its intended commemoration.

Last edited:

RacerX33

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Hi Karen,
I dont feel that you really read my post. I also dont feel that you comprehended what I wrote?
I never anywhere in my post claimed to speak for all Veterans.
I said ...."I believe all the veterans you are trying to school on here know the difference between memorial day and veterans day. "
(Keyword... "I believe") Flew right past you.
I think you are going overboard on my comment just like you went overboard trying to school everyone.
So once again.... Lighten up Karen.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The lengths to with people are willing to find offense anywhere is astounding these days. I am greatful for all those that observe Memorial Day no matter how they choose to express it. I am thankful for those that gave their lives so we could live better lives period. And 50% of my extended family are military.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The lengths to with people are willing to find offense anywhere is astounding these days. I am greatful for all those that observe Memorial Day no matter how they choose to express it. I am thankful for those that gave their lives so we could live better lives period. And 50% of my extended family are military.
"Disagreement" is not the same as "offense." That said, it does appear that some of the posts in this thread may have, indeed, offended you.

RacerX33

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
@
SETXExpSTGuy

Seems like many Americans pay little attention to or have much knowledge of our country's history.
People are always mixing up Veterans day with Memorial day. I saw President Obama mix it up in a speech one memorial day. Not surprising since he grew up in Indonesia. Ive had friends wish me happy memorial day. I thank them and politely tell them that its a day for the dead who died in service. In War and in Peacetime. Because people are always dying in the military. Training can be dangerous too. Truth is many people view memorial day as a day off. To Europeans in places like France and Belgium, where they tend the graves of our dead, Memorial Day means more to them than it does to many Americans.
Many Americans dont get it. No huge.
There is no malicious intent wishing someone a Happy Memorial day.
Words have meaning but cut people some slack because when people say that, they mean well.
Things are the way they are......
And there is a way to get your point across without alienating the folks around you.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
"Disagreement" is not the same as "offense." That said, it does appear that some of the posts in this thread may have, indeed, offended you.
Not me, I have rather thick skin. On the other hand I would never tell others how to pay their respects. To each their own.

Explorer ST Posts