Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
My explorer has an extended warranty on it and I'm looking to buy the ford performance tune, I called my ford dealer just to see what they would charge considering I don't want to void the warranty. They said that it was going to be a 2 hr install and it would be $200. Now I called a local shop that deals with tuning, and they said that they can do it but there not ASE/ red seal certified and I'm not trying to void my extended warranty. But my question is how does the ford dealer know if it's been installed by an ASE/red seal certified technician.

Reactions
Hey,
I was with the mechanic when he did the initial install, it took 20 minutes, including the time to pull in the garage and install the battery charger. Just have the tune on the device and it really is plug and play. My certified mechanic charged me $55 CAD.
Good luck.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Pretty sure an invoice from the installer would be the proof required if you needed warranty. As far as extended warranty I don't think you would be covered. Warranty is 3/36 on the Ford tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Pretty sure an invoice from the installer would be the proof required if you needed warranty. As far as extended warranty I don't think you would be covered. Warranty is 3/36 on the Ford tune.
Thats what I thought but I called the dealer where I bought my vehicle from and talked to someone that deals with the company for the extended warranties and he told me that as long as it's installed by a ford dealer it still would be covered. Which is odd considering it says the warranty is 3/36 for the tune. I called him again today to double check and he said he would talk to the manager in the service department and call me back with a more definitive answer.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Hey,
I was with the mechanic when he did the initial install, it took 20 minutes, including the time to pull in the garage and install the battery charger. Just have the tune on the device and it really is plug and play. My certified mechanic charged me $55 CAD.
Good luck.
Have you had any problems with the ford dealer questioning your warranty considering you didn't have a ford dealer install it?

Reactions
Have you had any problems with the ford dealer questioning your warranty considering you didn't have a ford dealer install it?
My vehicle has yet to see the local dealer, and the factory warranty is done (I am at 50,000 kms and 3.5 years). There is still a 1.5 years left on the extended, but since I do most of my own service, it hasn't gone in. I have a two bolt built in Sept 2020, so do not need the parking brake fix, my back up camera has never shown a blue screen (knock on wood), the left cat does not appear to be cracked, and the chome window switches are not peeling. I am going to try to change the transmission fluid this spring, so I am really not missing the dealer any. Sorry, not much help here.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That might be a question of which dealership you take it to. Some places will be a bit more astringent than others. I just had the left cat replaced under the extended emissions warranty and Ford said nothing about my tune which was not done by them.

Reactions
My explorer has an extended warranty on it and I'm looking to buy the ford performance tune, I called my ford dealer just to see what they would charge considering I don't want to void the warranty. They said that it was going to be a 2 hr install and it would be $200. Now I called a local shop that deals with tuning, and they said that they can do it but there not ASE/ red seal certified and I'm not trying to void my extended warranty. But my question is how does the ford dealer know if it's been installed by an ASE/red seal certified technician.
Some dealers dont really care for the tune's until they do... Fact is, it SHOULD be denied as it is past 3/36 including the original powertrain. If anything catastrophic was to happened to the engine, Ford is going to be billed for the engine and they will do whatever they can do deny it and I highly doubt the dealer will cover the costs

For simple work, most dealers dont care if its tuned or not

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Figured I would just give an update for anyone wondering, my dealer ended up calling ford themselves and was told that installing this tune would void my extended warranty. So, since the ford performance tune will void my warranty, I will just end up getting a Zfg tune and ic and call it a day.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Figured I would just give an update for anyone wondering, my dealer ended up calling ford themselves and was told that installing this tune would void my extended warranty. So, since the ford performance tune will void my warranty, I will just end up getting a Zfg tune and ic and call it a day.
Oh shit! Someone get a message to the fire starter guy! He’ll have a coronary trying to say that’s untrue.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Oh shit! Someone get a message to the fire starter guy! He’ll have a coronary trying to say that’s untrue.
He'll be here after he wakes up from passing out from reading that. He'll demand the other guy give him the phone number of his service writer and set him straight.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A lot more bang for your buck with ZFG anyway!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I actu
No as poorly as the actual FP tune, especially considering the price and the absolute shit-show it is to have it flashed at dealerships.
I actually love my FP tune, and the dealership installed it for free for me. It drastically improved the cars throttle response and ease of ability to drive it like you want to whenever you need to be a little quick. The car itself is still a P.O.S. but the FP tune made its drivability much better.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
This tune was “looked at” by a very reputable tuner. He found absolutely zero changes to the trans tuning from stock. My guess is the differences people are feeling is a KAM reset when installing the new tune and the trans doing a fresh relearn with your new driving style.
Well there is definitely not nearly as much lag in the trans, which I experienced many times (even after a trans relearn procedure) before I got the tune. Drivability is noticeably improved. This is all much more significant than the extra 30 horsepower.

Reactions
Well there is definitely not nearly as much lag in the trans, which I experienced many times (even after a trans relearn procedure) before I got the tune. Drivability is noticeably improved. This is all much more significant than the extra 30 horsepower.
Couple of misinformation here regarding the transmission with the Ford tune. There is technically a trans tune with the Ford tune BUT its not an actual drag trans tune. It's a calibration change that comes with the new Explorer's.

So pretty much, if you have an older 2020 or 2021 Explorer with the original trans calibrations and you installed the FR Tune, you will see a difference in the trans shift points and behavior overall aside from the trans reset. Newer Explorer's wont see a change at all as they already come with the latest trans calibration.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So pretty much, if you have an older 2020 or 2021 Explorer with the original trans calibrations and you installed the FR Tune, you will see a difference in the trans shift points and behavior overall aside from the trans reset. Newer Explorer's wont see a change at all as they already come with the latest trans calibration.
This also is purely speculation. I know for fact my MY2020 hasn't had a new PCM update from Ford for at least 2 years. To say 2022 and 2023 had better trans tuning is conjecture.

Reactions
This also is purely speculation. I know for fact my MY2020 hasn't had a new PCM update from Ford for at least 2 years. To say 2022 and 2023 had better trans tuning is conjecture.
@Bugasu posted that info, he works for HPTuners i believe and actually browsed the tune itself. So just going by his findings

Also, there is a TSB update for the 20/21 trans, I believe mine received it going by the docs from my dealer regarding the harsh shifting. So far its been better. I had done a trans reset in the past and didnt help

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@Bugasu posted that info, he works for HPTuners i believe and actually browsed the tune itself. So just going by his findings

Also, there is a TSB update for the 20/21 trans, I believe mine received it going by the docs from my dealer regarding the harsh shifting. So far its been better. I had done a trans reset in the past and didnt help
My 2020 had the PCM updated 2/2021. There has been no further PCM updates since that time when I have checked via FDRS, including as recently as a couple months ago.

rich0550

Reactions
Vehicle
st 2020
This has probably been asked in this long thread. I talked to a speed shop about this they said will probably fail California emissions ? is this true. Second Cal has expensive gas does this tune require higher than 87? , the person I talked to at Ford said yes. $10 more a tank sounds like a bad deal for 30 more HP and some tweaks to shifting.