Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
maybe ask if you can get the new updates? Worth a shot.,

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
maybe ask if you can get the new updates? Worth a shot.,
Chatting them now and they’re not aware of an update. Guy reached out to other members and said they can’t get a consensus. They’re gonna talk to product manager and let me know.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
you have the programer right? you can update it yourself. The tune might not update but there is always some updates over time for programers. The instruction even say to download the latest version.

Then take it to the techs to flash the car.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
you have the programer right? you can update it yourself. The tune might not update but there is always some updates over time for programers. The instruction even say to download the latest version.

Then take it to the techs to flash the car.
Yeah I do. I did see that, I just figured that’s firmware for the tuner itself to ensure stability. Not actual updates for the tune itself which is what would affect the car specifically. They’re going to let me know what the engineers say.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Since it appears to be the Livernois device/software (but not tune), it can make updates to the PC software, device, and tune. But it will always say what it is updating when you connect.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So there was an update and it added the Stop/Start update ‘Sticky stop start logic’.

I did ask if there were any other updates.
I also asked about the updating process. Does a whole new reflash need to be done or is it like a phone update that just adds it on top of the base software? My main concern is I had it installed by a tech for warranty purposes and not trying to spend another $150 for an update.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Phone update? not sure about that. All you do it go to fords site, download the app, plug it in and follow the prompts. Only thing you need is a Ford account. The rest is a normal tuner update process for pretty much everyone tuner I have ever used.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Phone update? not sure about that. All you do it go to fords site, download the app, plug it in and follow the prompts. Only thing you need is a Ford account. The rest is a normal tuner update process for pretty much everyone tuner I have ever used.
I was implying that like when you get a phone update, it’s a small file that just simply goes over your existing firmware. You don’t reinstall/flash your whole phone OS with each update.

I wonder if the tune update is similar or if you have to flash the whole thing over again. Updating the actual tuner via computer is simple. I get that. It’s then what’s next as far as updating the car with that new tune. Whole flash of the tune again that resets key cycles or is it just some incremental update.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
unless someone knows better than I, it would be a whole new flash as I understand it.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
unless someone knows better than I, it would be a whole new flash as I understand it.
Yeah that would be my assumption as well. Which would require me going back to the guy who did my install. Not sure if he’d charge me or not. My start stop rarely works anyway so probably won’t bother.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hmmm…this could explain why my autostop eliminator stopped working or it could be something else that Ford sent out.. Time to crack open the steering cover and see if pulling the autostop eliminator allows the vehicle to now remember the last setting or not.

Chr1spy

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Non-Street Pack Peasant; 400whp 2018 Accord
Is it possible to use the Ford points you get from buying the ST towards purchasing the tune/display?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Is it possible to use the Ford points you get from buying the ST towards purchasing the tune/display?
I would think so. Ford reward points can be used for Ford service and accessories.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Hmmm…this could explain why my autostop eliminator stopped working or it could be something else that Ford sent out.. Time to crack open the steering cover and see if pulling the autostop eliminator allows the vehicle to now remember the last setting or not.
My AutoStop Eliminator quit working, I called the company and they instructed me to unplug it for 15 minutes and reconnect it. That's all it took. It's worked without issue for 18 months.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My AutoStop Eliminator quit working, I called the company and they instructed me to unplug it for 15 minutes and reconnect it. That's all it took. It's worked without issue for 18 months.
Thanks! Took the cover off the steering column and disconnected the AutoStop for 15 and it works again. Now I need to retrain my brain not to include pressing the AutoStop button in my “things to press and/or twist“ start up list. :ROFLMAO:

Dre904u

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Wondering if those who are reporting the AutoStopStart staying off after tune are driving exclusively in Sport Mode? Sport Mode will keep it off.
I have driven in regular, sport and ECO and the start stop stays off. I also checked by battery level to make sure it wasn't my battery. I had my tune installed in May of 2023, so maybe I revived and updated tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It continues to feel different to you because you got the latest and greatest oem strategy installed as part of the tune so it’s definitely different than what you had before.
Is it possible to get the latest and greatest OEM trans strategy without the tune? I have an early 2020 build and it shifts like shite. I did have an adaptive trans reset done at the factory a few months ago that helped some but still nothing to write home about. Did that reset give me the updated strategy?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have not. I had it installed by a ASE tech for warranty purposes. If I go do it again, it negates all of that.
Was that through a Ford dealership? How much did it run you? I'm assuming you bought the tuner and just had them go through the steps?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Is it possible to get the latest and greatest OEM trans strategy without the tune? I have an early 2020 build and it shifts like shite. I did have an adaptive trans reset done at the factory a few months ago that helped some but still nothing to write home about. Did that reset give me the updated strategy?
It did not. It just reset its learning parameters from my understanding. What I’m not sure is if you did the recall for the bolt situation, if that may have flashed the updated strategy.

Was that through a Ford dealership? How much did it run you? I'm assuming you bought the tuner and just had them go through the steps?
No it was a shop that was ASE certified. A dealer can definitely do it. Just have to find one that is willing and educated on it. It was $150 to install it. I’ve heard stories of dealers installing for free. I’ve heard quotes up to $300. Yep bought the tuner and brought it to the shop.
For what it’s worth, the tune is quite nice and adds decent power.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You won't get the latest but there have been at least two PCM firmware updates for MY2020 that will help shifting some. Unfortunately, you need to still be under warranty and even then it is up to the discretion of your dealer whether they want to flash the latest. Since early 2020 builds have over a dozen modules with new updates, a few of us have bought the interface and leased FDRS software to flash the module updates at home. Not cheap but certainly an option, especially if you are out of warranty and are keeping the vehicle a while more.

Also, a lot of the tunes make full throttle shifting quicker, stronger, smoother than stock but may not address the ungainly day-to-day, partial throttle shifting that can occur with the stock calibration.