Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I suppose but being over thag initial honeymoon phase, it still feels different. I guess that’s all that matters though and it makes me happy with it regardless of what was or wasn’t done.

I do remember briefly reading about the tune and how there was nothing adjusted apparently.

So I reached out to FP team themselves and the product manager. “ It firms up the shifts as well making them quicker. It does this by increasing line pressure in the transmission.”
The line pressure is the same as any stock tune if you look inside the actual tune. Also proven more than once. People make crap up all the time…the actual data doesn’t lie. It continues to feel different to you because you got the latest and greatest oem strategy installed as part of the tune so it’s definitely different than what you had before.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The line pressure is the same as any stock tune if you look inside the actual tune. Also proven more than once. People make crap up all the time…the actual data doesn’t lie. It continues to feel different to you because you got the latest and greatest oem strategy installed as part of the tune so it’s definitely different than what you had before.
I suppose. I’ll try and flip through the pages to find that data but I’m curious to reread it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I suppose. I’ll try and flip through the pages to find that data but I’m curious to reread it.
If you are game, maybe flash back to stock. Wait to the transmission learning happens and see if the shifting is the same or not. I could be wrong but from sometime in MY2021, I don't think the strategy code for the PCM has changed. I really don't think Ford is constantly refining the shifting up until recently. If you have a MY2021-2022 and run FDRS, there's probably no PCM update available unless it's for the autobrake recall. Out of curiosity, on the FP device, does it list strategy code? The identical Livernois device does if I'm not mistaken.

I personally think as the car ages, just doing the trans learning again (ie. PCM flash, or via service procedure) can make an appreciable difference in shifting.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I didn’t want to reflash it since I had a ASE tech do it.

But I was waiting for my daughter to finish gymnastics and I forgot I had my tuner in the trunk. Started playing around. I think I reset my KAM lol. I clicked it not thinking it would immediately do it and since it was greyed out, didn’t think it’d do anything.
Anyway, I filmed a quick video of some of the settings and gauges available which I have no idea represent. Curious especially about the first part.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SsZ35TuVmpZKkoQU9

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I didn’t want to reflash it since I had a ASE tech do it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SsZ35TuVmpZKkoQU9
Understood. Thanks for the video. Looks identical to the Livernois device. How about going into Module Info and seeing what is listed as strategy code?

I think it should look something like:
SRBM4BA.H32

Last edited:
Reactions
I'm going to open a very rookie dialogue on here so please hold back your burning arrows :) (as research is my friend, i get it) but, in all fairness can sometimes take longer than normal just like when my wife asks "tell me why you love me" - i say hair :eek:. TMI - anyhow. I've only once ever tuned my car by (Unleashed) brand new 2010 Ford SHO and the choices were either (Unleashed or Livernois Motorsports) I went with Unleashed at that time because they were in North Florida with awesome reviews. However, now owning a new 2022 Ford Ex ST there are so many options which is a great problem to have when probing before finalizing a vendor for the tune. I don't drag strip (reads a bit funny :ROFLMAO:) but I do take pleasure in dusting people at the light especially these loud muffler jokers nonetheless, I do like to up the power and speed from the ST above stock.

• My perception is people on this forum go with the (Ford Performance Tune) because of the warranty, which from my understanding can also introduce the same liability as other tune competitors, correct? Just because it says (ford performance) doens't mean there's an automatic hall pass in the event something breaks. Additionally, haven't found information even with an upgraded Inter-cooler there still not much to gain outside of the advertised 30HP and smoother shifting?
  • ZFG - based on research appears to be the most popular and requires data logging which has advantages compared to canned tunes. However, is ZFG the most popular because folks went with the first and haven't really compared? But then again, who can realistically load and unload multiple tune competitors before deciding which to keep.
  • Palm Beach Dyno - has a pretty cool tune that loads a custom operating system and can do some pretty rad stuff but yet, I don't read much about it here. In fact, PBD posted a youtube video and looked pretty BAD A$$.
  • Monster Tune - love reading their adaptive tune approach definitely has my interest but again not enough context or feedback from the community.
  • Finally - there's many more vendors advertised but would be nice to know why members went with a particular Tuner?
Summarizing, i'd like to keep it 93oct and get the benefits of more power and speed. I got my new CVFab IC this week and new Air Intake - time to probe and finalize a decision. I apologize for this long rant but would really like to know why you (members - that's you) chose one Tune over the next? Or did you just go with what everyone else did, was there some uniqueness, anything you can share to help a brotha out i would greatly appreciate it.

Maybe this is a polling question
I originally went with gearhead because I already had an sct device and the tune was only $250 for both an auto octane tune and an e30 tune. Best I did on the track was 11.998 on a pretty cool day, but it was inconsistent. It could run that time on one run, then next time down the track run a 12.35. The auto octane tune is great for what it is, I run it in the wintertime and if I was taking a long road trip I would use it so I never had to worry about what kind of gas I put in it.

At some point I bought a zfg e50 tune, sent a base log and the very first revision ripped off an 11.82 on dragy on a very hot day. It is also extremely consistent at the track, as long as I launch at the same rpm it will run within a tenth of the same time over and over and over again.

You can look at the dragy leaderboards or the time slip leaderboards and they're both loaded with ZFG tuned ST's.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Understood. Thanks for the video. Looks identical to the Livernois device. How about going into Module Info and seeing what is listed as strategy code?

I think it should look something like:
SRBM4BA.H32
It does not mention anything of that sort.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It does not mention anything of that sort.
Thanks for looking. Probably will only show it before you flash the tune.

SteveO305

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Platinum
Just installed myself on a 2020 platinum. Definitely noticeable and a lot more fun to drive. Im curious if this tune is a 70hp gain since the platinum in 2020 is only 365hp stock?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just installed myself on a 2020 platinum. Definitely noticeable and a lot more fun to drive. Im curious if this tune is a 70hp gain since the platinum in 2020 is only 365hp stock?
Yup! Yours should make the same power as ST's with the FP tune. Nice!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Installed the Ford performance tune on 6/19/23. Downloaded the latest setups and it does enable memory on the auto start-stop button in "normal" mode. It has stayed off since the installation.

I did the flash after doing the exhaust, intake, and intercooler so when it learned it had all the parts. For my use, this tune definitely added some gitty up.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Installed the Ford performance tune on 6/19/23. Downloaded the latest setups and it does enable memory on the auto start-stop button in "normal" mode. It has stayed off since the installation.

I did the flash after doing the exhaust, intake, and intercooler so when it learned it had all the parts. For my use, this tune definitely added some gitty up.
None of the parts you added will add HP to the FP tune. The tune cannot "learn" anything like that.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions

what do you mean it enables memory on the auto start stop? I haven’t tried but are you saying that if you turn start stop off it says permanently off until you turn it on? I find it hard to believe but im

None of the parts you added will add HP to the FP tune. The tune cannot "learn" anything like that.
The intercooler would help a little I would think from keeping things cooler. I’m not 100% though people report improvement in feel of things even with jsut that installed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
what do you mean it enables memory on the auto start stop? I haven’t tried but are you saying that if you turn start stop off it says permanently off until you turn it on? I find it hard to believe but I'm
Yes it keeps Auto start stop off based on my install. I downloaded the latest version of the tuner build from Ford or whoever makes it and auto start stop stays off.

I have not had to hit the stupid button since I installed the tune.

Dre904u

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Yes it keeps Auto start stop off based on my install. I downloaded the latest version of the tuner build from Ford or whoever makes it and auto start stop stays off.

Same here, my start stop has been off since I installed the FP tune.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions

Curious is there a number to it?

I did mine in maybe Nov/December or so and mine doesn’t remember my auto start stop setting.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Wondering if those who are reporting the AutoStopStart staying off after tune are driving exclusively in Sport Mode? Sport Mode will keep it off.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Wondering if those who are reporting the AutoStopStart staying off after tune are driving exclusively in Sport Mode? Sport Mode will keep it off.
Same. Or their battery is failing like mine lol. I just find it hard to believe ford would enable that feature.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
have you gone and re-downloaded the tune and updated the programmer recently? Maybe there was an update in there for that feature request (shrug)

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
have you gone and re-downloaded the tune and updated the programmer recently? Maybe there was an update in there for that feature request (shrug)
I have not. I had it installed by a ASE tech for warranty purposes. If I go do it again, it negates all of that.