Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
Brian, What’s the deal with the 3 pushes or taps on the start button?
Thanks! Jim

Reactions
You don’t have to leave the proCal plugged in to the OBDII port do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions

Are you asking if the ProCal has to stay plugged in to run the tune? No, it does not. The ProCal is used for reprogramming the PCM and that is all. It can be unplugged once the software updates are made

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

No. You can unplug it after you are done. The Tool does a lot more. Datalogging, Diagnostics, gauges.

IMG_1825.jpg

Reactions
One angle that I'm not sure has been covered here, but the FP tune also appears to be tow friendly. Probably one factor in the lower overall HP. The durability testing they require would include all driving modes and capacities.
It may have been tow friendly when it was released but now there is a disclaimer...

**Trailer towing not recommended**

Reactions
Good to see a positive review. The BRaptor had much smoother and better shifting overall from what I read with someone who had both. Sounds like they went with a similar tranny tune as it.

Curious to what actual power it actually has and how the powerband looks like in a dyno. Too bad its limited to only the ST considering there are two other 3.0l options.

Reactions
Good to see a positive review. The BRaptor had much smoother and better shifting overall from what I read with someone who had both. Sounds like they went with a similar tranny tune as it.

Curious to what actual power it actually has and how the powerband looks like in a dyno. Too bad its limited to only the ST considering there are two other 3.0l options.
According to the current page for the explorer ST tune, it's also available for the 2020 platinum and the 2020-2022 king ranch.

Wonder what changed in the 2021 platinum to not be eligible.

Reactions
According to the current page for the explorer ST tune, it's also available for the 2020 platinum and the 2020-2022 king ranch.

Interesting, a member had checked for his Platinum and they had told him it was not available for his vehicle. Good to see they open up more.

Wonder if it has to do with smog crap, I know in California, 2022 ST's cannot get the tune yet

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Great write up.

Waiting on the Dealership to install the tune (11/12).
I have already installed the Tune on the ProCal4. So it only a 10 min job for the dealer and $180.
Interesting. So you do all the stuff ahead of time and then go to the dealer to have them push a button so we can maintain warranty?

Bosh

Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
I really enjoy the back-and-forth on this subject. Both sides have solid points as I posted in #290. I'm not even sure what the argument is about, but as someone over 55, I don't remember that any of this was even an issue when I was younger.
I'm 30 years old but work with a lot of over 50s people. I definitely hear all the stories of people messing with their vehicles and just "seeing what happens. And whatever happens, happens." It sound invigorating, I get a small taste of it every once in a while, but I am jealous of the level of experimentation and freedom I have heard about people having.

Please bear with me- I'm making a point. Because, in the past, if you modified your vehicle, you assumed the risk. It was that simple. You could simply put the trans in neutral, floor the accelerator, and destroy the engine. Easy-peasy. And yet- no one did. There was a time before rev-limiters, knock-detection, etc, when an individual who wanted more power assumed the responsibility that things could go wrong.
I think this has both benefits and also creates its own issues and/or anxieties. I hear about all the modifications back in the day that were made to vehicles without having to worry about what else it could affect because for the most part, it didn't affect that much else. These days, you make a simple modification to let's say, the air intake, but it turns out you didn't know there are 13 separate sensors all going to their own separate computer programs which in turn each affect their own separate parameters of another system. That statement isn't literal but I think you can get what I am trying to say. A computer program is an amazing feature but when someone is modding what that program controls, you're taking a big risk that the program does not have the ability to work with your modification to the system. A computer program, without artificial intelligence, is stagnant and will not change without human intervention.

Now it seems there are people who want to modify their vehicles, and yet do not want to assume any responsibility for those customizations. I understand it, and truly don't understand anyone who can't. And if you're one of those people, guess what, you get 30 hp instead of 100 hp.
Accepting responsibility is scary and lame!!! Haha, just kidding! This isn't a generation argument, so please take this as more of just an observation and an opinion. I think the days of pure experimentation may be coming to an end, if not already over for the majority, because it's just not that easy anymore and it's not as cheap as it used to be. Because of the advanced computer systems and safety, vehicles are not as cheap as they used to be. They are not as easy to just jump into modifying because of those same computer systems being so integrated into everything. Also, with things like recent environmental pushes, it is again not as easy to just modify a vehicle and get away with it without huge repercussions.

Once again, look back at post #290. Because in effect, the argument is about a warranty- in effect removing oneself from financial responsibility. In that post, I tried to lay out the worst case scenario for having that custom octane tune, and not having a warranty- the chances of engine failure,engineering-wise, are pretty miniscule. But there are people I'm sure who never change their engine oil and then bitch about smoke and bearing failure at 50k miles.

So, let me just express my thoughts- if you want to spend a thousand bucks to get 30hp, go for it. But I'm not going to make that choice. No way, No how. But I get it if you do.
I really do appreciate your entire above comment and it has given me more to think about, in general, with car culture. I also appreciate that you did not come out swinging but instead gave your thoughts and opinions in a kind manner for others to think about. I will also probably not go the FP tune direction but who knows! It's great there is another option on the table for all of us.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have contacted 3-4 dealers and still no one can do it. One dealer was shocked in how a tune could even improve power without modifying hardware. So annoying and just leaning towards Zfg at this point.

Also, that same dealer pretty much implied it doesn’t exist because they couldn’t find the tune when they searched my vin. I gave them the actual part number a week ago. Still no follow up.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Interesting. So you do all the stuff ahead of time and then go to the dealer to have them push a button so we can maintain warranty?
The ProCal Software want you to make a login to back up your old tune and get the new tune.
Just trying to keep the FP warranty.

Reactions
I have contacted 3-4 dealers and still no one can do it. One dealer was shocked in how a tune could even improve power without modifying hardware. So annoying and just leaning towards Zfg at this point.

Also, that same dealer pretty much implied it doesn’t exist because they couldn’t find the tune when they searched my vin. I gave them the actual part number a week ago. Still no follow up.
As others have said, you can go to ASE/red seal tech, no need to go to the dealer. This is to keep the "warranty' intact.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I am enjoying the lady on FB claiming a 4mpg increase in gas mileage. Like…no. lol

ST-WOOO

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
wish someone would post some Dragy times with this Ford tune really curious the difference.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum

Interesting: 1667598095843.png
It's not available for my 2021 Platinum V6 AWD but it is available for the 2020 King Ranch according to the Ford Performance website.

BTW copy writers at Ford Performance - the King Ranch debuted in 2021..... https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35598905/2021-ford-explorer-king-ranch-revealed/

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
As others have said, you can go to ASE/red seal tech, no need to go to the dealer. This is to keep the "warranty' intact.
Ah shit that’s right! I forgot about that. I did a general search a couple weeks ago when someone mentioned it but couldn’t find any near me. I’ll just have to actually call some local shops near me to see.