Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
So enough of all this is this damn tune worth it??!!!! Lol
By what has been posted so far, sure it's worth it. That is if you feel good spending $1,000.00 to get your transmission to shift like it should have from the factory with marginal performance improvement which could have been achieved by running E-30. Just sayin

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... if you feel good spending $1,000.00 ... with marginal performance improvement ...
No one's done testing on the FP tune yet, so no one can say if it's only marginal. Just FYI ...

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I hadn't read of anyone doing this yet and I know that Ford wants you to have their FP Dealers install the tune. I've probably just missed where someone has done it. This shouldn't be any more difficult than the Tunes most of us are used to installing. I'd like to read about someone doing so and their experience.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
No one's done testing on the FP tune yet, so no one can say if it's only marginal. Just FYI ...
You act like this is the only place people talk about this. Quite a few people have tested and are testing it…they just don’t post here.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
By what has been posted so far, sure it's worth it. That is if you feel good spending $1,000.00 to get your transmission to shift like it should have from the factory with marginal performance improvement which could have been achieved by running E-30. Just sayin
Why are you here if you have no interest in this tune and are just gonna bash it? You clearly are missing the point of this tune.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You act like this is the only place people talk about this. Quite a few people have tested and are testing it…they just don’t post here.
I’ve seen a couple posts on fb but that’s it. Anywhere else it’s being discussed? Love to read more reviews.

Overall, this tune seems to be getting good praise and it seems everyone is happy.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Among other things, folks are passionate about their specific tunes. To each his own.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I hadn't read of anyone doing this yet and I know that Ford wants you to have their FP Dealers install the tune. I've probably just missed where someone has done it. This shouldn't be any more difficult than the Tunes most of us are used to installing. I'd like to read about someone doing so and their experience.
The installation is straightforward. I'm summarizing for brevity, but you load and backup the stock tune to the ProCal tool. Then download and install the Performance tune on your vehicle. Both tunes are stored on the ProCal and can be changed very easily back and forth.

Plug and play.

The complete instructions can be found here: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-12655-F.PDF

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
May I distill this down in a nutshell? For those who think this "tune" is going to give them a few extra HP (and perhaps better shifting) and not void their warranty- they have a point, and I get it. For those who think that 30 HP is not worth the amount of money over a tune that could provide them a lot more HP (and perhaps better shifting) at the same price point- they have a point, and I get it.

However, if you believe that if you "pop" your engine while on the Ford tune the dealership and warranty service guy are just going to "pop" for the repair, good luck with that! Just because they say it doesn't void a warranty, unless you find a nice dealer who needs the work; and that work pays well, you're going to be out of your vehicle for awhile.

However, if you're on the stock turbos- neither the Ford tune nor a dedicated octane ZFG tune should cause any worries. I hesitate to include other tuners simply because looking at their dyno maps, they are not addressing the boost spikes around 3K RPM which can lead to detonation problems.

The biggest concern with a dedicated octane tune is when all of your correction maps are on (say) 93 octane gas. You, your pal, your high school son, etc, decides to fill it up with 87 to save money on a dry 30 degree day and then decides to make a WOT run. That is a recipe for problems.

In the end, I don't blame anyone for wanting a bit more HP so they can say they're tuned and they believe they're keeping their warranty intact. It's your money after all.

Last edited:
Reactions
Why are you here if you have no interest in this tune and are just gonna bash it? You clearly are missing the point of this tune.
Not missing the point at all. I'm here because like many of us I like to improve what I know about this platform. I enjoy reading about things I didn't know before and use this forum to question things I don't understand or agree with. It's called conversation. My feeling is the lack of solid performance results, especially from FP causes me to question the product. No one can say that the factory shift settings on the ST are without some rough edges. Selling a tune that removes those rough edges, that in my mind, should be done with a TSB makes great sense for FP, for the consumer, not so much. Actually I really hope the FP tune works out as advertised, it will give many owners an option and hopefully piece of mind. I've decided to go a different direction, but that doesn't mean I won't continue to follow the topic

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Not missing the point at all. I'm here because like many of us I like to improve what I know about this platform. I enjoy reading about things I didn't know before and use this forum to question things I don't understand or agree with. It's called conversation. My feeling is the lack of solid performance results, especially from FP causes me to question the product. No one can say that the factory shift settings on the ST are without some rough edges. Selling a tune that removes those rough edges, that in my mind, should be done with a TSB makes great sense for FP, for the consumer, not so much. Actually I really hope the FP tune works out as advertised, it will give many owners an option and hopefully piece of mind. I've decided to go a different direction, but that doesn't mean I won't continue to follow the topic
While I disagree with your untested "marginal performance improvement" remark, there's several uneducated trolls on these forums that you'll have to deal with. :LOL:

Just put them on your ignore list like I did and their rants will be muted forever!(y)

Regarding the FP tune, its most outstanding feature is not voiding your warranty. There's nothing "marginal" about that.;)

n5tz2000

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I've been reading about the FP ST tune and considering getting it. Does anyone know if you load the tune if it will still keep the 87 octane mapping as well as the 91/93 ? I.E. can I run 93 octane and realize the additional performance but also run 87 octane with reduce performance ? I haven't been able to determine that from the FP documentation. Maybe I just missed it.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Fair enough but my stock transmission is smooth as can be. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. So I disagree with you about the transmission. I do believe that was early STs that had more transmissions issues. But people are reporting more than just transmission improvements. From what I have read.

I am hoping for more reviews and input. I’m torn what to do.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've been reading about the FP ST tune and considering getting it. Does anyone know if you load the tune if it will still keep the 87 octane mapping as well as the 91/93 ? I.E. can I run 93 octane and realize the additional performance but also run 87 octane with reduce performance ? I haven't been able to determine that from the FP documentation. Maybe I just missed it.
From what I have read, you must use 91 and above if you do the FP tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The installation is straightforward. I'm summarizing for brevity, but you load and backup the stock tune to the ProCal tool. Then download and install the Performance tune on your vehicle. Both tunes are stored on the ProCal and can be changed very easily back and forth.

Plug and play.

The complete instructions can be found here: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-12655-F.PDF
Seems like an easy process although looks like you may have to a PC available for a “qualified” technician to install (warranty) after creating an account? Has anyone completed this through a dealer yet and can explain the process?

Spins4

Reactions
Vehicle
2015 GTR, 2022 Explorer ST (on order)
I currently have the FP calibration but haven’t installed yet. I plan on getting some baseline dyno pulls for a comparison first and will share before and after on the forum. I tried to get baseline numbers last week but ran into issues. (I failed to realize that when disabling pre-collision assist it doesn’t stay off and defaults to ‘on’ with every key cycle) so I’m a bonehead. Needless to say the ST freaked out on the dyno.

Before I return to the dyno can someone confirm the proper settings? My understanding is:
1. Sport Mode, Manual
2. Turn off traction control / Advance Trac
3. Disable pre-collision assist

Anything else? Thank you.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
While I disagree with your untested "marginal performance improvement" remark, there's several uneducated trolls on these forums that you'll have to deal with. :LOL:

Just put them on your ignore list like I did and their rants will be muted forever!(y)

Regarding the FP tune, its most outstanding feature is not voiding your warranty. There's nothing "marginal" about that.;)
Clearly you haven’t read all the posts about how the warranty is actually effected. TMac probably stated it the best a few posts back.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Clearly you haven’t read all the posts about how the warranty is actually effected. TMac probably stated it the best a few posts back.
He has me blocked as well as several others who didn't agree with him, so he can't see the post!