Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I just order the Ford Performance Tune. Now we wait.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Gotta admit, the FP tune has caught my attention. Question is, will I bite ...

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
got mine from steeda today. just finished install and took about 30 minutes to make sure not to brick the system.

Test drive for a bit, notice bump in power and butt dyno seems to agree.

and yes it's VIN lock

ST-WOOO

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Cant wait to see how much it the tune will benefit in in a quarter mile time over stock.
Anyone spend the 825.00 through the dealer? Did that include install since they have to?
I have 65,000 Ford rewards points im trying to talk myself into using it toward the Tune.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Cant wait to see how much it the tune will benefit in in a quarter mile time over stock.
Anyone spend the 825.00 through the dealer? Did that include install since they have to?
I have 65,000 Ford rewards points im trying to talk myself into using it toward the Tune.
Good idea on using your points.
How much off will that many points buy you?

I have a 60,000 mile checkup, oil change, + tune coming up soon. The points should help. Thanks

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I was interested, mostly, until I read that it is not available in California. Apparently, another tree will die if we ad performance to our car.
Dang Commies.:devilish:

Cant wait to see how much it the tune will benefit in in a quarter mile time over stock ...
Get your Dragy's warmed up and ready to go people.(y)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
From Ford Performance:

"ProCal Flash Tool Instructions
The tool and performance calibration are locked to your vehicle and therefore cannot be used on a different vehicle."

Thanks! Doesn't make sense to me. That is like buying a laptop to use forscan. Then the laptop is no good if you buy a newer Ford. I already use 91 octane daily. my ST has 17k miles on it. It only has had 2 tanks full of 87 octane and when i put in the 91 octane. It is like a different car in a good way. I just wished it shifted smoother in Sport mode. So I think I am going to order it this week for the $695.00 is worth it to me since I still have low mileage.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks! Doesn't make sense to me. That is like buying a laptop to use forscan. Then the laptop is no good if you buy a newer Ford. I already use 91 octane daily. my ST has 17k miles on it. It only has had 2 tanks full of 87 octane and when i put in the 91 octane. It is like a different car in a good way. I just wished it shifted smoother in Sport mode. So I think I am going to order it this week for the $695.00 is worth it to me since I still have low mileage.
That’s how all tuners work. If you could tune multiple cars with the same tune the tuners would ever turn a profit. At least with HP it’s a credit based system so you can use one device to tune multiple cars but you still have to buy the individual tune/credits for each car.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I just cleared 1,000 miles on mine, maybe it's time she got the FP tune? ;)

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Dude…are you gonna talk about it for 412 posts or actually buy the damn thing? lol
Seriously lol and yet he called me out for too much discussion about it.

but seriously I hope they do. I need reviews on this tune haha

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
That’s how all tuners work. If you could tune multiple cars with the same tune the tuners would ever turn a profit. At least with HP it’s a credit based system so you can use one device to tune multiple cars but you still have to buy the individual tune/credits for each car.
I understand about them making a profit. I was just speaking about the ProCal4. I usually trade in every 3 to 5 years. So if i get a 2024 or 2025, only to buy another ProCal4 unit. Mine just started with the camera blue screen and reverse assist braking unavailable. As soon as i get it in and back out of service. I am going to buy one from Steeda.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I understand about them making a profit. I was just speaking about the ProCal4. I usually trade in every 3 to 5 years. So if i get a 2024 or 2025, only to buy another ProCal4 unit. Mine just started with the camera blue screen and reverse assist braking unavailable. As soon as i get it in and back out of service. I am going to buy one from Steeda.
You sound like a smart guy, we need people like you on this forum!

My minor hesitation on the tune is that even though I only use Premium fuel, with the tune I would have to use it.

So I'll wait for testing from others before I decide. I want to see a 1/2 sec reduction in 0-60 times, which is totally within reach noting the 30+ hp and 52+ ft lb torque.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions

My minor hesitation on the tune is that even though I only use Premium fuel, with the tune I would have to use it.

So I'll wait for testing from others before I decide. I want to see a 1/2 sec reduction in 0-60 times, which is totally within reach noting the 30+ hp and 52+ ft lb torque.
Less like you would be much better.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Contrary to some peoples' silly opinions, the ECU on this Ecoboost is completely capable of adjusting timing and boost downward to protect it from detonation. I don't know how many times I can say this- this is NOT some '90s turbocharged vehicle. You don't have to use premium fuel- you have to use premium fuel to take advantage of the tuning.

The number one killer of an engine is detonation- do you really think Ford released the regular ECU tuning so they could replace engines under warranty? Do you think if they released a tune with a 30 more horsepower they kept the warranty because they thought there was the slightest chance of it happening?

If you want to spend your hard earned money on a device that can't be reused and will net you 30HP according to some funky spreadsheet "dyno" because it won't void your warranty, please do so- that I understand. But please don't listen to ignorant people with no understanding tell you it won't accept a lower grade of fuel.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
got mine from steeda today. just finished install and took about 30 minutes to make sure not to brick the system.

Test drive for a bit, notice bump in power and butt dyno seems to agree.

and yes it's VIN lock
I'm going to get the Dealership to install the tune just to get the Ford Performance Warranty.

Dealer said $180 to install.

Reactions
I'm going to get the Dealership to install the tune just to get the Ford Performance Warranty.

Dealer said $180 to install.
Pretty good money for 10 min. worth of work.

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st

I wouldn’t hold your breath on that imo. I don’t see the FP tune coming close to a 5 second 0-60 assuming stock is 5.5, unless I’m wrong on my times. I don’t believe 30hp is going to get you that far. But we’ll see.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I was interested, mostly, until I read that it is not available in California. Apparently, another tree will die if we ad performance to our car.
It’s only not available for 2022+ models in CA. But I was eye balling the Whipple Stage 1 for awhile too and it also wasn’t available for 22 models for a bit. But now 22s are included. I’m guessing 22s & 23s will just have to wait a bit longer until they get CARB approval. Here’s an email reply from Whipple when I inquired about the 22s.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I don't have a dog in the fight(s) above, but I did install the FP tune this weekend. My intent is not to encourage nor discourage anyone from buying this product. I'm merely sharing my first impressions in case they might help someone.

DISCLAIMERS: (1)This is my first experience with a tune of any kind. (2) I've spent the last 1.5 years driving a stock ST. I have ONLY 1.5 HOURS driving the ST, post-calibration. (3) I do not have any dyno results or draggy times to share. This is a butt-dyno analysis only. (4) I'm not trying to define "value" for anyone. We know what this tune costs. $700 might be my life's savings. It could be an average trip to the fuel dock at my marina. Whatever. (5) The ECU is still in the learning stage, as am I.

Normal Drive Mode: The first thing I noticed immediately was the improvement in shift characteristics. The shifts are more crisp, and perhaps closer to stock Sport shifting than the old Normal shifts were. Not quite, but certainly a nice improvement. The transmission shines. There is also a little more pull from about 3K RPM and up. If my wife borrowed the ST today to putter around town, she probably wouldn't notice a difference. But she doesn't drive like I do.

Sport Mode: This is where you'll see the real performance gains, modest as they may be. The greater acceleration from maybe 2,700 on up is definitely noticeable. I don't know if it will make you smile, but I sure did. I always thought the stock Sport shifts were pretty good. I can't really say if they're any better with the tune, but they're certainly not worse. Everything was very smooth.

Other thoughts, in no particular order...

Will the FP calibration make an already quick SUV even quicker? Yes. Absolutely.

Will this tune destroy my drivetrain? I don't have a crystal ball, but this a Ford factory mild tune. If you don't abuse your vehicle, I don't see this as a factor.

Will CFM see his 1/2 reduction in 0-60 time? I don't know about a half-second, but with a stock time of 5.3, I'd bet this will get you under 5 seconds. How far? I have no idea. Someone else will have to provide that data.

Will this tune allow me to keep up with UNBROKEN? No. Not even in the same ballpark. If you want to try to run with the big boys, start with a 3rd party tune & IC and go from there. I might suggest, however, that the FP calibration won't put nearly as much stress on your ST's various components.

The installation was very straightforward. Post-tune, I didn't receive any fault codes. No strange behavior of any kind. No hard shifting or gear searching. I did briefly run through all the drive modes, and didn’t notice anything unusual. The tune did not write over the e-brake or rear camera recall updates I had done recently. Nor did it change any other settings.

So overall, I'm quite pleased so far. This tune seems to provide similar results to the FP tunes on other platforms. If you have reasonable expectations going in, I don't think you'll be disappointed. And if the warranty makes you sleep better at night, even better.

Last edited: