Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just a side note though is that it has to be installed by a Ford Dealer or ASE/Red Seal certified technician in order to get the FP 3yr/36k warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
@18Ventura, super helpful write up. I plan to purchase the FP Tune tomorrow. Thanks for the context and for sharing your experience.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I wouldn’t hold your breath on that imo. I don’t see the FP tune coming close to a 5 second 0-60 assuming stock is 5.5, unless I’m wrong on my times. I don’t believe 30hp is going to get you that far. But we’ll see.
My best 100% bone stock time is 5.32 sec, so I think a 4.9x is more than possible:

Screenshot.jpg

... Will CFM see his 1/2 reduction in 0-60 time? I don't know about a half-second, but with a stock time of 5.3, I'd bet this will get you under 5 seconds. How far? I have no idea. Someone else will have to provide that data ...
If I decide to get the FP tune, you better believe I will be providing that data!

Reactions
My best 100% bone stock time is 5.32 sec, so I think a 4.9x is more than possible:

View attachment 14761

If I decide to get the FP tune, you better believe I will be providing that data!
Temps and DA can be a HUGE factor, even on a 0-60 run. Gotta keep all those independent variables the same when testing and comparing.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Awesome write up and review! I think I’m sold on this tune other than it requiring premium fuel. Or I should requiring it at all times. At least that’s what I read on a FP tune document. Not that I can’t get 93 all the time where I live but I do like the flexibility of being able to use 87. Like if my wife decides to fill up with 87. Unlikely to happen but still. That’s why I appreciate the idea of an auto octane tune from Zfg. Decisions decisions.

Blue720

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Mine arrived today but I can’t get it installed through the dealer until 11/16. I’ll do a draggy run before and after.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Temps and DA can be a HUGE factor, even on a 0-60 run. Gotta keep all those independent variables the same when testing and comparing.
20+ years at the drag strip has taught me about DA, track prep, etc. And temps are only part of the equation on which DA is calculated, which also includes barometric pressure, elevation and humidity. One must also take into account any change in fuel type (I only use Premium) and vehicle weight (full tank of fuel vs. 1/4 tank) and removing extraneous items from the vehicle (tools, equipment, etc.).

Lastly, my Dragy consistently reports incorrect DA (actual temps are often 10-20 degrees lower and reported altitude is off by several hundred feet), but luckily, Dragy submits that "data" for informational purposes only.

I use the below DA calculator and my local weather reporting agency to compute DA and am therefore able to keep my results comparative.
https://airdensityonline.com/free-calcs/

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Mine arrived today but I can’t get it installed through the dealer until 11/16. I’ll do a draggy run before and after.
'Atta boy! That's what I like to hear!

Wait, November 16th? Yikes!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Awesome write up and review! I think I’m sold on this tune other than it requiring premium fuel. Or I should requiring it at all times. At least that’s what I read on a FP tune document. Not that I can’t get 93 all the time where I live but I do like the flexibility of being able to use 87. Like if my wife decides to fill up with 87. Unlikely to happen but still. That’s why I appreciate the idea of an auto octane tune from Zfg. Decisions decisions.
Why would your wife decide to put 87 in? First time my wife filled up this Explorer, she asked "91, right?". Same with her Range Rover, "91, right?". It's not like she suddenly has an aneurism and gets confused from the 3 choices, or grabs the green diesel nozzle.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Why would your wife decide to put 87 in? First time my wife filled up this Explorer, she asked "91, right?". Same with her Range Rover, "91, right?". It's not like she suddenly has an aneurism and gets confused from the 3 choices, or grabs the green diesel nozzle.
Because that’s what she has used her whole life and frankly what I use most of the time in my ST. So out of habit, the 87 is always picked. At least for her. Just like the 91 is clearly a habit for your wife.

but either way, I just don’t like the idea of lock in to premium. But I suppose I could get use to it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I'm glad some of you found the review helpful. (y)

I neglected to say that I always run 93 octane. I'm not sure what results others fuel grades might yield.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thx, really appreciate the write up. If & when the 22s are included I’m 80% sure I’m going this route as well.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm glad some of you found the review helpful. (y)

I neglected to say that I always run 93 octane. I'm not sure what results others fuel grades might yield.
Keep us updated as you continue to use it!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... I'm not sure what results others fuel grades might yield.
Bad ones!

... If & when the 22s are included I’m 80% sure I’m going this route as well.
Maybe it's time to take your '22 ST and escape from Kalifornia to another state. Problem solved.

Reactions
Ford considers 91+ as “premium”. There are many places that you can’t get 93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Bad ones!

Maybe it's time to take your '22 ST and escape from Kalifornia to another state. Problem solved.
LOL. We have 2 kids in college atm. Probably not gonna be re-locating any time soon. I’m pretty sure it’ll be available to 22+ owners in CA eventually. We’ll just have to wait a bit longer then every1 else. It’s CARB legal through 21 so it’s probably gonna be the same situation like the Whipple stage 1.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
LOL. We have 2 kids in college atm. Probably not gonna be re-locating any time soon. I’m pretty sure it’ll be available to 22+ owners in CA eventually. We’ll just have to wait a bit longer then every1 else. It’s CARB legal through 21 so it’s probably gonna be the same situation like the Whipple stage 1.
Ha. Okay, but Kali overreach is insane while the other 49 are Ready, Set, Go!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ha. Okay, but Kali overreach is insane while the other 49 are Ready, Set, Go!
I think all the hippes moved out to Cali :D. But, we love the weather out here. It’s nice pretty much year round. We plan to keep our house here in CA but our end game/retirement plan is to settle elsewhere once our kids are out on their own. We are thinking maybe Texas.