Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Explorer ST Recall 23S23 360 Degree Camera Stop Sale

Agitator

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Platinum Explorer
Well, today’s Strike at the Chicago Assembly Plant might be the deciding factor for us to bail out and purchase another vehicle!?!? Our ST was ordered on 3/21, production date was 5/3, finally got a build date of 9/21 but nothing has changed since then.

Agitator

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Platinum Explorer
If a vehicle is on the rail system, you should have it soon. I believe if a vehicle is slated for truck transport it will sit as the truckers/teamsters will honor the strikingly UAW strikers.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Hi All,

So I just discovered that my 360 camera is deleted from the biuld. Currently the website says I have been in production for the last week. I am about to cancel, which really bums me out. My 2019 F150 has it and I honestly can't see living with out it. BTW I ordered a Platinum, but was planning to tune it that is why I am here. I need to read more here, but I will ask is there anyway to add it back in after delivery?
I just purchased one with the 360 camera deleted. I don’t know if the camera can be added later, but I will be trying to make that happen. My best guess is that there’s no reason it can’t be done, but it might be awhile. Perhaps after the dust settles on all the current camera fixes and recall services. I’ll definitely share what I find out. My car has the front camera and side cameras, they just don’t “do” anything. I am assuming the front camera is used for the evasive steering and automatic braking features though, so it’s at least semi functional and my hope is it can be repaired just like all the others that are currently being repaired. But who knows. Maybe the 360 delete versions are somehow permanently disabled in this regard. Once the vehicles on dealer lots start getting these parts and repairs done so they can be sold, I’m sure Ford techs will learn if it can or can’t be done in time.

If anyone else learns anything about this or if it’s possible, please let us know!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Question: dealer has an ST for me... Almost what I ordered other than the 360 delete and the captains seats. He says the front and rear camera are there but he can only get the rear to work. Should the front facing camera work as well?
I just purchased an ST with the 360 delete two weeks ago. Unfortunately it does not have the front camera feature. Like your dealer said, the cameras are all installed (front, rear, and side mirrors), but the hard camera button on the dash is not there and the front camera image never appears on the screen during vehicle operation. I have the backup camera and the parking sensor image that appears while backing up, but no front camera and no 360 camera views. I think it’s possible it could be added at a later date though, I am hopeful it just needs a module or harness, the hard button on the dash, and some programming maybe. I doubt anyone knows if it can be done though, it’s probably still too soon. If you learn anything on this front, I’d love to know.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Supplement 2 was just posted on the NHTSA website:
  • Service Action: The repair is now available
  • Attachments: The Technical Instructions are now available.
  • Mobile Service Repair Assessment Level: Not a Mobile Service Repair.
  • Labor Allowances: The repair labor allowances are now available.
  • Parts Requirements / Ordering Information: Parts are available through a seed stock program in extremely limited quantities.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCMN-23V342-1782.pdf
This supplement is pretty informative. It shows the repair process step by step. Thanks for sharing.

Remima

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Limited
I was at my dealer on Thursday. The GM who I know pretty well, told me they are getting the parts next week - subject to change, that's what Ford told them. But, they are only getting the replacement wiring harness for 2 vehicles instead of the 4 they need at this time.
thank you fingers crossed my dealer gets some movement with mine

macmalcolm

U.S. Navy Veteran
Paramedic
Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
If a vehicle is on the rail system, you should have it soon. I believe if a vehicle is slated for truck transport it will sit as the truckers/teamsters will honor the strikingly UAW strikers.
But it has to come off the train at some point and onto a truck to be delivered to the Dealer’s lot so I’m not sure if those local truckers are still transporting now or not?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Have you tried forscan to see if the featureset pops up?
I just purchased an ST with the 360 delete two weeks ago. Unfortunately it does not have the front camera feature. Like your dealer said, the cameras are all installed (front, rear, and side mirrors), but the hard camera button on the dash is not there and the front camera image never appears on the screen during vehicle operation. I have the backup camera and the parking sensor image that appears while backing up, but no front camera and no 360 camera views. I think it’s possible it could be added at a later date though, I am hopeful it just needs a module or harness, the hard button on the dash, and some programming maybe. I doubt anyone knows if it can be done though, it’s probably still too soon. If you learn anything on this front, I’d love to know.

Agitator

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Platinum Explorer
I again believe it is the picket line issue. If a teamster is moving vehicles off a rail yard there probably won't be any picketing and the haulers will move vehicles. There is always the exception.

Frustrating times.

macmalcolm

U.S. Navy Veteran
Paramedic
Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I again believe it is the picket line issue. If a teamster is moving vehicles off a rail yard there probably won't be any picketing and the haulers will move vehicles. There is always the exception.

Frustrating times.
Frustrating for sure…..who would have ever thought we would be going into October wishing and hoping to buy a new vehicle that is already 1 model year old?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Have you tried forscan to see if the featureset pops up?
No, I don't have Forscan, I've only read about it on this Forum... still seems daunting to me and not sure about spending the money, not sure if it works with Apple computers, etc. But if that's all it took to get the front and 360 camera operational... I'd give it a whirl!

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I would love to see some proof of what you allege.
Sure, the proof is a fully loaded Explorer ST or Platinum is creeping towards MSRP of $65-$70,000 depending on where you live. That vehicle while being very expensive continues to lose content along with unacceptable quality issues.

Please show me another OEM that has had a year long 360/RVC issue unresolved after a year and only now are we hearing about a potential fix coming at the end of 2023?

Where is the replacement rear subframe bolt for my 2021 ST that was identified last year as needing replacement?

Why does Genesis, who builds the GV70 SUV in the USA not have these same issues?......have you seen their multimedia system?......do they ever roll out software updates that literally brick their customers vehicles?

Genesis never has content deletes on their window stickers, and BTW go check out the build quality on a Genesis compared to a Ford Explorer.

My ST has under 10,000MI on it, the front brakes are grinding but tons of pad left. Turns out the Tier1 rotor supplier had issues for a while so for a few thousand builds the ST/PIU got rotors from a Tier 2 supplier and they are substandard. Who else does that?.....OK yes Dodge did that on the Durango but its a POS anyways.

Ford QC is killing them, along with their woke agenda and a ridiculous EV strategy.

Reactions
Sure, the proof is a fully loaded Explorer ST or Platinum is creeping towards MSRP of $65-$70,000 depending on where you live. That vehicle while being very expensive continues to lose content along with unacceptable quality issues.

Please show me another OEM that has had a year long 360/RVC issue unresolved after a year and only now are we hearing about a potential fix coming at the end of 2023?

Where is the replacement rear subframe bolt for my 2021 ST that was identified last year as needing replacement?

Why does Genesis, who builds the GV70 SUV in the USA not have these same issues?......have you seen their multimedia system?......do they ever roll out software updates that literally brick their customers vehicles?

Genesis never has content deletes on their window stickers, and BTW go check out the build quality on a Genesis compared to a Ford Explorer.

My ST has under 10,000MI on it, the front brakes are grinding but tons of pad left. Turns out the Tier1 rotor supplier had issues for a while so for a few thousand builds the ST/PIU got rotors from a Tier 2 supplier and they are substandard. Who else does that?.....OK yes Dodge did that on the Durango but its a POS anyways.

Ford QC is killing them, along with their woke agenda and a ridiculous EV strategy.

And why did they initiate a customer satisfaction recall on the 360 camera system due to cloudiness when they couldn't complete orders coming off the assembly line.... I wonder if that was their way of admitting one of the issues with the cameras without saying it.....

Cduty

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer
I have been watching this forum for months now and decided I finally have a worthy post. I special ordered my explorer in February and it was built April 1st. It sat all of April waiting on a railcar and then it sat almost another month in a transfer lot waiting for a truck. It was finally delivered to my dealer on June 15th and of course, the recall caused it to continue to sit. I was called Monday 9/25 and informed parts were shipped. I was called today 9/30, informed my parts were at my dealership and the camera will be replaced Monday. I will update as soon as I hear something else.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

Great post. This forum is such a wealth of information and it has helped me so much as a new Explorer owner... but there are days I wish I never would have discovered it lol. So many things have been stripped out of the ST since 2020 and now I have to know what my car is missing! I looked for my front recovery hook - not there, not even a place to thread it in. No ambient lights in the cupholders (cheesy, but I was really looking forward to those). No temp display on the dash above the hard buttons. Rear center console gone. Camera washers gone. Glove compartment clip for the owner's manual gone. Active noise control gone. Rear underbody splash guard cover gone. SUBFRAME BOLT GONE. And more I probably don't even know about (thankfully). Not to mention the WAY in which they address these recalls. I HATE my parking brake engaging every single time I put it in park, the same way I hate Auto Stop Start but at least that can be disabled (by spending my own money). And I'll be shelling out more cash for an aftermarket subframe/diff brace for my two-week-old vehicle. That shouldn't happen. Communication from Ford to customers and dealerships about their ordered vehicles is abysmal. That shouldn't happen. If it weren't for the Z plan discount I had to burn, I think I would have gone with the Genesis. Amazing what that company seems to be able to do at about the same price point as the ST. I do love my ST, but these issues do put a damper on the experience of ownership and Ford is headed in the wrong direction. Great post SGT

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have been watching this forum for months now and decided I finally have a worthy post. I special ordered my explorer in February and it was built April 1st. It sat all of April waiting on a railcar and then it sat almost another month in a transfer lot waiting for a truck. It was finally delivered to my dealer on June 15th and of course, the recall caused it to continue to sit. I was called Monday 9/25 and informed parts were shipped. I was called today 9/30, informed my parts were at my dealership and the camera will be replaced Monday. I will update as soon as I hear something else.
Welcome! I'm pretty new myself - this forum is an amazing source of information... I swear every question I type into Google about my new car yields a top result from this forum!

Would love to hear exactly what parts your dealership replaces to fix the camera (camera, module, harness, etc).

Excited for you to get your new ride! That's a long wait.

Cduty

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer
Welcome! I'm pretty new myself - this forum is an amazing source of information... I swear every question I type into Google about my new car yields a top result from this forum!

Would love to hear exactly what parts your dealership replaces to fix the camera (camera, module, harness, etc).

Excited for you to get your new ride! That's a long wait.
Here is the bulletin that explains what will be replaced!

Attachments

Sport Mode

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Speaking of missing items, isn’t there supposed to be an engine cover on the Explorer ST? I have a 2022 without an engine cover. Also, my wife has a 2022 Edge ST which has no engine cover and no hood liner. I used to own a 2016 Edge Sport which had an engine cover and a hood liner. What a joke.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Just remembered, they also didn't give me a case for the owner's manual. They're really pinching pennies

At this rate, we'll have window stickers coming out that say - rear window delete, fourth tire delete, bumper delete :geek::cry::poop:

Cduty

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer
Just remembered, they also didn't give me a case for the owner's manual. They're really pinching pennies

At this rate, we'll have window stickers coming out that say - rear window delete, fourth tire delete, bumper delete :geek::cry::poop:
My husband's 2023 F150 didn't come with one!!! they said you have to look online. 80k truck with no manual. Ridiculous

Explorer ST Posts