Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driver Lower Seat Panel - Outboard Side

Reactions
Passenger side outer seat panel replaced once under warranty so far. Same replaced panel also broke, just haven't said anything to dealer yet.

Christopher L

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Drivers side on my 2020 has broken as well. Does anyone have any updates from ford?

Reactions
I have the same problem. Driver's side is broken and, eventually, the passenger side will do the same for sure. Will be taking it in to be replaced soon, along with the chrome accents on the window switches flaking off so sharply that they stab into your fingers and the side mirrors paint flaking off...

CDD

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I have same problem, cover snapped on my early 2021 vehicle. 20220926_082529.jpg

hbalek

Reactions
Thought I'd bump this to the top ... with some possible good news. My 2020 ST driver's seat outboard trim failed in about a year of use. We took delivery in June of 2020, and it was first replaced in July 2021. It failed again a couple of weeks ago, and was replaced a few days ago, Jun 2022; both repairs covered under warranty.

Here's the new cover in place.
View attachment 13033
But, here's the encouraging news ... on the service orders the part number is substantially different ... hoping this means it was redesigned or beefed up to not fail!!
View attachment 13032

Let's hope this resolves what was clearly a bad design!!

Ken
Well you were right and I appreciate this information. Today my seat was repaired with the second part number you listed above. It looks the same as the old one but maybe it is a higher grade plastic than the old part number. I also had my catalytic converters checked and a new driver's side was ordered today. I have less than 2 months left on my 3 year/36K miles warranty and had to get these things addressed.

GTchick

Reactions
I purchased a 2020 Explorer ST in November, 2020, and the panel clip on mine just broke for the 4th time. This is ridiculous.
I'm thankful for this forum and thread. I got mine in Dec 2020. Mine broke while under warranty and they service advisor smacked it back into place. It came apart again JUST after the warranty expired a few days later. Took it back in.....he no longer works there and didn't note it on my visit. I'm not fixing this until I'm certain they will FIX it!

GTchick

Reactions
Well you were right and I appreciate this information. Today my seat was repaired with the second part number you listed above. It looks the same as the old one but maybe it is a higher grade plastic than the old part number. I also had my catalytic converters checked and a new driver's side was ordered today. I have less than 2 months left on my 3 year/36K miles warranty and had to get these things addressed
Thought I'd bump this to the top ... with some possible good news. My 2020 ST driver's seat outboard trim failed in about a year of use. We took delivery in June of 2020, and it was first replaced in July 2021. It failed again a couple of weeks ago, and was replaced a few days ago, Jun 2022; both repairs covered under warranty.

Here's the new cover in place.
View attachment 13033
But, here's the encouraging news ... on the service orders the part number is substantially different ... hoping this means it was redesigned or beefed up to not fail!!
View attachment 13032

Let's hope this resolves what was clearly a bad design!!

Ken
Thank you for the part number. How has it held up? Is it the same fitment, with just a more sturdy material?

Reactions
It's about a $200 fix, for a $30 part that requires about 5minutes to do yourself.

Daamus

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 XLT
I just realized that the used XLT I purchased a few months ago is completely missing these front trim pieces on the front seats.

Seems they keep breaking for people and I'm willing to bet the previous owner thew them out. Is it even worth my time to get a used panel off ebay for 30-40 bucks and replace it?

Dram789

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
It's about a $200 fix, for a $30 part that requires about 5minutes to do yourself.
Do you know what the part is called? I can’t find it on their website. Mine broke recently, but my bumper to bumper warranty is over :(

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Do you know what the part is called? I can’t find it on their website. Mine broke recently, but my bumper to bumper warranty is over :(
Post 45 has the part#

GTchick

Reactions
I contacted Ford today to complain about my darn seat. I did it by chat, so who know how that will help. I don't know if it's a thing that can happen, but if any of you want to piggyback on my talking to them, my case # is CAS-45416984-K6V5P3. I'm not sure if they will allow one consumer to reference another's complaint, but there it is! ;)

Maybe if we all complain loudly enough, we can get it fixed?

rrizzo123

Reactions
The lower plastic panel, on the driver's side, has disengaged (broke) four (4) times and after each time has been replaced by the dealer. The flimsy snap-in detent at the center and front of the panel breaks and renders the panel useless, flapping against the seat frame. (This panel housed the seat controls.) Both the dealer and myself recognize a poor design that fails from simple entry and departing the unit. Needless to say, the Ford technical service engineer claims the problem has not been detected in the field and that this is a non-issue. Should this occur for the 5th time, we believe the dealer will charge me for a new reinstalled panel. Also, we believe the passenger seat will have the same issue but that has not occurred to date.

My question to the Explorer ST community is: Has any other owners encounter this seat panel breaking away from its assembly?
Yes mine broke and I repaired it with tie wraps so it would not get worse. Dealer told me its not covered because I repaired it. What a joke!!

Gloxin

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks for your feedback. My unit came off the line in Chicago, August 2019. It was part of the initial production group. No other problems, to date!
hi, what do you mean that your ST was part of the "Initial Production Group" ? Mine was also built on August 2019, this is why I ask. Thanks.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The original design/part broke easily. It was redesigned, the new one will fit the original mount but isn't supposed to be as vulnerable to someone who slides off of the seat.

hbalek

Reactions
The original design/part broke easily. It was redesigned, the new one will fit the original mount but isn't supposed to be as vulnerable to someone who slides off of the seat.
I
I had mine replaced under warranty in late 2022 and it broke again last summer. Not under warranty anymore and don't trust that it will stay fixed. Not worth the $100 deductible on my ESP.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
To what do you attribute that? I know exactly when I broke mine. I had the car on ramps and from the driver's seat slid down out of the seat. It was a long step down. Normally I just put my leg out and step out. I felt it pop.

At the time, I just pulled the part and took it to the dealer. They ordered me a new one and I put it on two days later. They told me that their sources were telling them that people who tend to slide out of their seats are the ones who were having problems.

Now I don't know how factual that might be but that's exactly what I did.

hbalek

Reactions
To what do you attribute that? I know exactly when I broke mine. I had the car on ramps and from the driver's seat slid down out of the seat. It was a long step down. Normally I just put my leg out and step out. I felt it pop.

At the time, I just pulled the part and took it to the dealer. They ordered me a new one and I put it on two days later. They told me that their sources were telling them that people who tend to slide out of their seats are the ones who were having problems.

I honestly think they damaged it when it was in for service and on the lift last summer and it just got worse over time. I don't think they redesigned the part because mine is a 2020 and the part was replaced late 2022 3 years after production and it broke again. It's a poor design and cheap plastic and shouldn't break so easily on a $60K car.

Last edited: