Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driver Lower Seat Panel - Outboard Side

Reactions
I just picked up a 2021 ST today, (10-08-21), and I do see that the outboard drivers side seat panel is a DIFFERENT design than my wife's 2020 ST which has broken 5 times already. As of this writing, it broke again last week, and I will once again bring it in for another repair. An awful design flaw that is very frustrating. I will say that the positive news here is that Ford "got the message" and did something about it here in late 2021. I literally looked at the seat design at the first glance of the vehicle to see if it is different, and sure enough, it is!
If only Ford would come up with a permanent fix for the faulty panel!

Reactions
I purchased a 2020 Explorer ST in November, 2020, and the panel clip on mine just broke for the 4th time. This is ridiculous.

mckmak

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I've had my 2020 Explorer XLT since December 2019 and I am now on my 4th brake on this seat. This seat really needs a recall soon.

Reactions
We just had ours replaced on both sides for the first time 2 weeks ago. They broke about 6 months after we got the car. So far the new ones SEEM to be much more firmly attached to the seat...but could just be because I was so used to them being broken for so long. We will see how long these last. They are a terrible design though. At least a TSB with an improved part would be nice.

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thought I'd bump this to the top ... with some possible good news. My 2020 ST driver's seat outboard trim failed in about a year of use. We took delivery in June of 2020, and it was first replaced in July 2021. It failed again a couple of weeks ago, and was replaced a few days ago, Jun 2022; both repairs covered under warranty.

Here's the new cover in place.
IMG_1446.jpeg
But, here's the encouraging news ... on the service orders the part number is substantially different ... hoping this means it was redesigned or beefed up to not fail!!
Service Orders.jpg

Let's hope this resolves what was clearly a bad design!!

Ken

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Mine is broken also.

Reactions
Just had mine on the 2020 St replaced at no charge under warranty. Fairly common issue due to design and frail plastic materials.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine just broke a few days ago for the first time. I will have to have it replaced soon under warranty. I'm at 30,500 miles and almost 3 years of ownership.

Reactions
Mine also broke today. Early 2021. Ordered 2 MB5Z 7862187 EC for $29/ea.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine also broke today. Early 2021. Ordered 2 MB5Z 7862187 EC for $29/ea.
You ordered two so if it fails you have another one ready to go?

Even if it's under warranty, $60 out of pocket is worth it for the hassle and time spent for a warranty claim with the dealer.

Reactions
Mine isn't covered under warranty. I've got 41k miles on mine.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine isn't covered under warranty. I've got 41k miles on mine.
Does anyone know if they have to remove the seat to install the broken part or can it just be replaced while the seat is still mounted?

Reactions
Does anyone know if they have to remove the seat to install the broken part or can it just be replaced while the seat is still mounted?
I'm guessing it just pop's on with the seat installed.. Probably pretty easy judging by how easy it just "pops off" when not even trying.

Reactions
BTW: List on the part is $41.70. I shopped around and got it for $28 with $12 shipping and no tax.

Reactions
Reactions
Vehicle
Still shopping
I purchased a 21 ST with 12k miles on it in June, about 2 weeks back my drivers seat panel broke. Also having some issues with reverse camera and throwing codes.

Reactions
Is there a TSB for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimmonia

Reactions
Just ordered as per the post above! Thanks, my 2021 ST has had this broken dangling piece for a hot minute now. I hate going to dealers.
  1. Part # MB5Z-7862187-EC

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer
Yes, mine has broken twice.