Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driver Lower Seat Panel - Outboard Side

Reactions
Mine is also broken and they have fixed it twice. No parts they say so I am still waiting.

OP
S

Slunik

Reactions
Thread Starter #22
Let all know how your dealer / Ford respond with a fix to the seat panel breaking. My dealer responded indicating Ford Technical Service do not recognize it as an issue after 4 replaced panels. My current 4th panel has released from its connection.....

Reactions
I just noticed the other day that I am having the same issue with the outside panel on the drivers seat. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll report it.

OP
S

Slunik

Reactions
Thread Starter #24
Let all members know what your outcome is with your dealer, it's important the issue be recognized by Ford Technical Services. Currently it is not!

OP
S

Slunik

Reactions
Thread Starter #25
Let all members know what your outcome is with your dealer, it's important the issue be recognized by Ford Technical Services. Currently it is not!

Deday1

Reactions
Mine has broken twice now and it’s now currently being held together with duct tape because it’s a pain in the ass to keep going to the dealership and leaving my car for a day. The dealer is aware of it even though Ford may not want to admit this is a design problem but… This is a design problem

OP
S

Slunik

Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Absolutely a design issue! Understand your frustration....I've lost count on my replacements (4) but my most recent replacement has broken as well and my dealer will replace it at my costs!
Looking at the in-mold detent connections on the side panels, the front plastic cross-member that connects the left and right side panels may be the culprit. It's possible with leg pressure on the front of the seat, entering and exiting, the bulk seat padding and leather seat cover stresses that front cross-member forcing it to flex downward snapping the detent connectors and/or disconnecting the side panel. Again, I'm not a design engineer but trying to make sense of what we're having to live with.
I would hope Ford engineering management/dealers read these messages as great customer feedback from the field resulting in corrective action bulletins. Good luck.

MikeF

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
This is the second time that it broke on drivers side. I will be taking it in next week.

Reactions
Yup, my 2nd one broke. The dealer will be looking at it this week when the beast goes in for an oil change.

Reactions
Brand New only 7,000 miles on it and the front drivers side seat control panel is broken where it adjoins at the front. The thin plastic tabs are sheered off.

Reactions
So, somehow on twitter I got the attention of Ford Service Canada over the lower seat panel.

They had a rep call me to discuss the issue. Their first reaction was to contact the dealer. But, I explained my dealer already has parts on order for the repair. And, it’s the quality of the part not the repair at issue.

I explained that this is a common problem and a permanent durable fix needs to be designed by Ford. They agreed and said that my comments are being forwarded to a higher authority.

Also, took the opportunity for us Canadians, who could not travel to the the USA to attend an ST Experience to look into having one in Canada.

Finally, I asked that they should publish what the changes/improvements are with each update release of Sync.

Maybe something will come of this, maybe not?!

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
So, somehow on twitter I got the attention of Ford Service Canada over the lower seat panel.

They had a rep call me to discuss the issue. Their first reaction was to contact the dealer. But, I explained my dealer already has parts on order for the repair. And, it’s the quality of the part not the repair at issue.

I explained that this is a common problem and a permanent durable fix needs to be designed by Ford. They agreed and said that my comments are being forwarded to a higher authority.

Also, took the opportunity for us Canadians, who could not travel to the the USA to attend an ST Experience to look into having one in Canada.

Finally, I asked that the should publish what the changes/improvements are with each update release of Sync.

Maybe something will come of this, maybe not?!
Based on the questionable quality of so many components on this vehicle not the mention the expected poor long-term durability, I doubt I will keep this ST much past the 3/36K warranty! I absolutely am still in love with the vehicle but quite frankly I can't trust it longer than a few years. I will not want to pay to repair or replace so many things that should have lasted 7-10 years.

Signel

Reactions
I know. My driver seat is broken and the dealer superglued the front bracket back to the side. This essentially ruined the side panel, and they dripped glue on the carpet. I've been through 10 fords or so in my life, and this is the first time I've had a car that has so many issues. It is the first run of the car during a pandemic, so I can live with some of it, but if Ford continues to ignore the shoddy construction, it might take legal action.

They changed the seat totally on the 2021/2022 by the way. There is no longer a front bracket on the new design. Clearly an admission that this 2020 design was garbage. I can't believe it passed QC, but we were in mid pandemic I suppose.

Reactions
I know. My driver seat is broken and the dealer superglued the front bracket back to the side. This essentially ruined the side panel, and they dripped glue on the carpet. I've been through 10 fords or so in my life, and this is the first time I've had a car that has so many issues. It is the first run of the car during a pandemic, so I can live with some of it, but if Ford continues to ignore the shoddy construction, it might take legal action.

They changed the seat totally on the 2021/2022 by the way. There is no longer a front bracket on the new design. Clearly an admission that this 2020 design was garbage. I can't believe it passed QC, but we were in mid pandemic I suppose.
if they have re-designed the 21/22 seat, then there is hope they will make this the permanent fix?

Reactions
if they have re-designed the 21/22 seat, then there is hope they will make this the permanent fix?
I still have the issue on my 21, so not fixed for the 21 year that's for sure.

Reactions
Mine has broken once. Dealer fixed it. Said it was the seat bolstering that was causing the issue. Design flaw for sure!

Reactions
I believe that to be correct. On ingress/egress many people will slide across and push down on the bolster. But, the plastic clips aren't strong enough to hold that action and they break.

Soon mine will go in for replacement/repair as the parts are on order. When that happens I am going to request the old one to see if there isn’t some tinkering I can do to improve it.

Last edited:
Reactions

The passenger side panel clip broke recently on our March 2021 build ‘21 ST with 2500 miles. So it’s not fixed on the ‘21s unfortunately. If it is going to keep happening over and over again, I don’t see the point in dealing with my horrible dealership. :mad:

Reactions
I was at the dealership today and deliberately took a look at the driver seat. Ford, indeed has changed the design. Not sure if there is an improvement however.

On the late year “21” the panel on lower front is not there.

I wish I had thought to take pictures.

Can someone who has a late year 21/22 take pictures of the lower front portion (Under the Seat Bolster) for comparison sake?

Thank you

Reactions
I was at the dealership today and deliberately took a look at the driver seat. Ford, indeed has changed the design. Not sure if there is an improvement however.

On the late year “21” the panel on lower front is not there.

I wish I had thought to take pictures.

Can someone who has a late year 21/22 take pictures of the lower front portion (Under the Seat Bolster) for comparison sake?

Thank you
I just picked up a 2021 ST today, (10-08-21), and I do see that the outboard drivers side seat panel is a DIFFERENT design than my wife's 2020 ST which has broken 5 times already. As of this writing, it broke again last week, and I will once again bring it in for another repair. An awful design flaw that is very frustrating. I will say that the positive news here is that Ford "got the message" and did something about it here in late 2021. I literally looked at the seat design at the first glance of the vehicle to see if it is different, and sure enough, it is!