Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driver Lower Seat Panel - Outboard Side

Slunik

Reactions
The lower plastic panel, on the driver's side, has disengaged (broke) four (4) times and after each time has been replaced by the dealer. The flimsy snap-in detent at the center and front of the panel breaks and renders the panel useless, flapping against the seat frame. (This panel housed the seat controls.) Both the dealer and myself recognize a poor design that fails from simple entry and departing the unit. Needless to say, the Ford technical service engineer claims the problem has not been detected in the field and that this is a non-issue. Should this occur for the 5th time, we believe the dealer will charge me for a new reinstalled panel. Also, we believe the passenger seat will have the same issue but that has not occurred to date.

My question to the Explorer ST community is: Has any other owners encounter this seat panel breaking away from its assembly?

Reactions
Yes, ours is broken, have been waiting for 2 months for a replacement. It’s a terrible design.

gpz1221

Reactions
Same here, my passenger panel broke and was replaced along with an additional seat rattling issue in both front seats which the dealer indentified in TSB 18-2361 which listed almost all Ford vehicles as being effected, but not the 2020 Explorer yet ? They use hose clamps with a rubber hose bushing to take the slack out of the seat pan. It worked, all my seat rattles are gone...

Last edited:
OP
S

Slunik

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
This is the reply from my dealership after 4 different lower panel defectives replacements:
As a dealer we have went as high as we can, Ford Hotline, Field Service Engineer and Customer Relation Center. Ford will not cover the panel base on the panel is not defective, I do agree with you it’s a bad design. Unfortunately Ford hasn’t seen enough concerns with this that they would recall or redesign the seat and panel. Fairway consumed the last trim panel as a customer service. I appreciate you being a Fairway customer and wish there was a better outcome. I will continue to check all technical service bulletins to see if anything changes and released on this concern.
Be prepared

OP
S

Slunik

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
This is a heads-up for ST owners who may encounter driver & passenger lower seat panel breakage. Should your lower seat panels break, ensure you advise Ford directly as well as your dealer. Ford doesn't recognize and refuse to acknowledge the issue. Ultimately they need to re-tool and remanufacture these lower seat panels, due to the inferior design. This response is from our dealer......in other words "you bought it, you live with it".

As a dealer we have went as high as we can, Ford Hotline, Field Service Engineer and Customer Relation Center. Ford will not cover the panel base on the panel is not defective, I do agree with you it’s a bad design. Unfortunately Ford hasn’t seen enough concerns with this that they would recall or redesign the seat and panel. Fairway consumed the last trim panel as a customer service. I appreciate you being a Fairway customer and wish there was a better outcome. I will continue to check all technical service bulletins to see if anything changes and released on this concern.

F=MA

Reactions
Photos would help.

Reactions
Yes. It starts with the side leather panel creeping up above the the plastic panel.

Took min into the dealership and the replaced the panel and the clips that keeps everything together on warranty.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'd also like some photos to understand what we are talking about. I've had my car almost a year and a half and 20k miles and I honestly don't see anything on the lower side of the seat that I would contact getting in and out.

Reactions
I'd also like some photos to understand what we are talking about. I've had my car almost a year and a half and 20k miles and I honestly don't see anything on the lower side of the seat that I would contact getting in and out.

Attachments

Reactions
The fix was replace the faulty clips and to mount the side plastic panel higher.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I looked, and mine is starting to do the same thing. I tucked it back in under the plastic panel and I guess I'll see what happens. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
S

Slunik

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
I've used a Frank T, Grimsby, ON, photo to show two areas where the mold-in clips, on the inner side of the panels, break. The center inner clip is attached to the seat frame. When entering and exiting the vehicle, body weight, on the outboard side of the seat cushion, forces pressure onto the lower panel and will break the flimsy, center mold-in clip. Consequently, the flimsy, front mold-in clips of the panel, also attached to the seat frame, break as well, unable to support the panel assembly. This lower panel houses the seat controls and after breakage you are left with a disassembled seat panel, that clearly show the broken clips. Breakage on my unit has occurred 4 times; very poor design but Ford does not recognize it being a problem. I'm not overweight but clearly enter and exit my ST very carefully!

Attachments

Reactions
Ford in Canada replaced/repaired mine under warranty. The tech at the dealership said their was some sort of technical notice from Ford on the problem.

OP
S

Slunik

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
2020 Explorer ST Lower Seat Panel - Below is a picture of a broken driver-side, lower seat panel. With entering and exiting the vehicle, downward seat cushion pressure snaps the flimsy molded-in center clips and the flimsy forward clips. You can clearly see where these clips insert into the seat frame. This renders the lower panel useless. Apparently, Ford does not see this as a problem according to my dealer. Although, breakage of the same panel has occurred 4 times. Buyer beware!

1607520546813.png

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I don't know if your seats are constructed differently but I pushed down hard on both passenger side seat and drivers side--there is minimal or no pressure applied to the plastic trim at all. The seat cushion is pretty firm and it almost feels like there is a solid floor before any pressure gets transmitted to the trim.

Last edited:
Reactions
I don't know if your seats are constructed differently but I pushed down hard on both passenger side seat and drivers side--there is minimal or no pressure applied to the plastic trim at all. The seat cushion is pretty firm and it almost feels like there is a solid floor before any pressure gets transmitted to the trim.
Maybe earlier build date vehicles have this problem?

Reactions
My understanding is the side panels were somehow mounted lower than intended. The fix was to replace the clips and mount it higher. So far it seems to be working on my explorer.

OP
S

Slunik

Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Thanks for your feedback. My unit came off the line in Chicago, August 2019. It was part of the initial production group. No other problems, to date!

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Moved to the warranty forum

solson4au

Reactions
Mine on the driver side is broken!