Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Dealer and PremiumCare saying rattling flex pipes no longer being covered under warranty

LoloOh

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 St
Hey random question for you guys to piggyback off of this. I have a 21 ST that I bought certified, had been trying to get in to get my flex pipe rattle and exhaust odor fixed but my dealership hasnt been scheduling appointments other than oil changes- you go on a wait list and wait for them to call. I checked 2 other dealerships in the area and 1 is first come first serve but too far for me to get there to get "in line" and the other had similar issues.
That said, I got on the wait list in OCTOBER, when I was still under my 36k warrenty. I am now over that of course. I made an oil change appt and called to see if they could address 2 recall letters and the flex pipe issue at the same time, and was told the DIAGNOSIS alone on the flex pipe would take up to 2 weeks. They spoke with management and agreed to make me a priority since Ive been waiting since October, but now after reading some of this I'm wondering if I'll have issues getting it covered under warrenty? I also have premium care ESP plan as well, if that makes a difference.

Any advice on what I should SAY to the dealership when I bring it in tonight/tomorrow, any key phrases that may help to ensure it gets covered, etc?

Thank you for your help!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey random question for you guys to piggyback off of this. I have a 21 ST that I bought certified, had been trying to get in to get my flex pipe rattle and exhaust odor fixed but my dealership hasnt been scheduling appointments other than oil changes- you go on a wait list and wait for them to call. I checked 2 other dealerships in the area and 1 is first come first serve but too far for me to get there to get "in line" and the other had similar issues.
That said, I got on the wait list in OCTOBER, when I was still under my 36k warrenty. I am now over that of course. I made an oil change appt and called to see if they could address 2 recall letters and the flex pipe issue at the same time, and was told the DIAGNOSIS alone on the flex pipe would take up to 2 weeks. They spoke with management and agreed to make me a priority since Ive been waiting since October, but now after reading some of this I'm wondering if I'll have issues getting it covered under warrenty? I also have premium care ESP plan as well, if that makes a difference.

Any advice on what I should SAY to the dealership when I bring it in tonight/tomorrow, any key phrases that may help to ensure it gets covered, etc?

Thank you for your help!
It won't be covered. We just went through the same thing. Had one of them replaced during the goodwill replacement period, the other one went bad a few months back. I bought a used flex pipe for the passenger side on ebay, until we decided which aftermarket exhaust we were going with. Picked up a used 3" Thermal system for $1000.
I still have the one we purchased(passenger side), so if you're interested in it, shoot me a PM. I just haven't got around to listing it for sale yet.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

Thank you for your help!
My dealer covered the left side flex pipe, which has been redesigned, and the catalytic converter under the emissions warranty. I was way over 36K miles and my ESP has a $100.00. deductible, which I don't think that the ESP would cover anyways. I did not pay anything, so I would mention the emissions warranty, which is for 8 years/80K miles.

LoloOh

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 St
Thanks guys! Car was dropped off for the inspection today, which I was promised that (management was consulted and promised) would be a one day thing. I was never called today at all, called and got ran around- promised a call back but still never got one and they are closed now. LIVID, because I need my car tomorrow AM. I will be calling tomorrow first thing to see where the disconnect is, and plan to speak directly to management. We shall see what they say, but I def may be looking into aftermarket parts instead if they say the cat system is fine (which Hopefully isnt, since Im getting the odor, and the emissions warrenty covers it!)

NYPigskin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
They're going to tell you that it's not covered. I just went through this with my dealership. I told them screw you, and bought a Thermal R&D Performance 2020+ Explorer ST - 2.5" Downpipe Back Exhaust - Black Coated Tips and I'm glad i did. Lifetime warranty on the system including the flex pipes.

LoloOh

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 St
Update: due to the exhaust leak its covered under warrenty. And tech said the leak is so bad that I shouldn't be driving with kids in the car right now :( would have been nice to know since Ive been on the service department wait list since October and driving around with my 18mo old kiddo the whole time :(
They're putting me in a rental and state 1 week timeframe or so.

Thanks for the assistance!!!

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Glad you are getting it straightened out. As I had mentioned, the dealer I went to took care of me and I did not by the ST from them. Service depts are not all the same.When one says no, another one may say yes. I have like 4 Ford dealers in my area.

SeanColin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I just had flex pipe issue along with a cracked cat at 36k, the dealer replaced both under the emissions warranty.