Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Dealer and PremiumCare saying rattling flex pipes no longer being covered under warranty

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just FYI my 2020 is in the shop right now to replace both cats on the recall.
Blue how long is your’s supposed to be in there?

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Just one day for the cats. They had to order the parts ahead of repair date. They are repairing a couple of other items also.

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
Just one day for the cats. They had to order the parts ahead of repair date. They are repairing a couple of other items also.
Good to hear that. My appointment is next week for exhaust smell and rattle and several other things. Still factory warranty

Karmit

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer Platinum
I've had mine in for the flex rattles 3 times over the past year (last was 2 weeks ago), they just keep throwing clamps on it - after making me wait for up to 2 weeks for "diagnosis". I've asked if they can do anything else (hoping for pipe replacement), waiting to hear back from service manager. I'm hesitant to have the flex cut/replaced at an independent shop in fear of warranty problems down the line if cat cracks develop.

The replacement OEM pipes look to be a little under $80 each, might go that route begrudgingly if Ford is stubborn about it.

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
I've had mine in for the flex rattles 3 times over the past year (last was 2 weeks ago), they just keep throwing clamps on it - after making me wait for up to 2 weeks for "diagnosis". I've asked if they can do anything else (hoping for pipe replacement), waiting to hear back from service manager. I'm hesitant to have the flex cut/replaced at an independent shop in fear of warranty problems down the line if cat cracks develop.

The replacement OEM pipes look to be a little under $80 each, might go that route begrudgingly if Ford is stubborn about it.
Not sure I would replace with OEM on your own dime as problem will probably be there in a year or so. Might be better off asking muffler shop to inspect the cats/downpipe area and only if they aren't cracked replace with better aftermarket flex pipes.

Dropping mine off today for first time since I bought it a month ago. We'll see what my dealer says.

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well I got my ST back today after 5 days and LH and RH catalytic converter replacements. After my 30 min drive home, when I started slowing down, I started hearing a chirping noise coming from the cat area. It’s crazy loud under load and while revving. Never made any sort of noise like this, almost sounds like a spooling turbo diesel. Before taking back to the dealer and being without a car for another week… is there anything that might be loose I can try to tighten and fix at home?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Well I got my ST back today after 5 days and LH and RH catalytic converter replacements. After my 30 min drive home, when I started slowing down, I started hearing a chirping noise coming from the cat area. It’s crazy loud under load and while revving. Never made any sort of noise like this, almost sounds like a spooling turbo diesel. Before taking back to the dealer and being without a car for another week… is there anything that might be loose I can try to tighten and fix at home?
I had same issues i swapped them out with lethal mid pipes took less than half a hour to swap them out but my cat still cracked on passenger side lol

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
Definitely should not be doing that. I just picked up mine yesterday for the same issue. They replaced the left side cat and I have no additional noises or anything unusual. I do smell a little more like burned clutch odor. But assume that's burn off from the new cat or maybe any sealant they used.

It's possible that one of your downpips/catalytic converter wasn't tightened down correctly and is leaking near the flange that mounts to the engine? if they didn't road test it, they might not notice the leak like you hear under heavy load.

Have you seen how the cats are removed and replaced on the ST? It's not a simple exhaust job like mid pipes or cat-back. They loosen and drop significant parts like sub frame, transmission mounts to get out the cats.

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Definitely should not be doing that. I just picked up mine yesterday for the same issue. They replaced the left side cat and I have no additional noises or anything unusual. I do smell a little more like burned clutch odor. But assume that's burn off from the new cat or maybe any sealant they used.

It's possible that one of your downpips/catalytic converter wasn't tightened down correctly and is leaking near the flange that mounts to the engine? if they didn't road test it, they might not notice the leak like you hear under heavy load.

Have you seen how the cats are removed and replaced on the ST? It's not a simple exhaust job like mid pipes or cat-back. They loosen and drop significant parts like sub frame, transmission mounts to get out the cats.
Appreciate the info and you sending that video, definitely more intense than I would’ve thought. After getting the ST up on ramps and getting under it with a partner to rev, it really sounds like the chirping noise is coming from right behind the cat to midpipe clamp on low rpm acceleration and deceleration. I tried holding the pipe still while revving and it still made the noise, also tried to tighten the clamp bolt to no avail. Obviously the whole midpipe rattles crazy as hell (Like they do with that cheap flex pipe shit) but it never made the chirping before dealership repaired it. I’ll upload a video and post the link

Attachments

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Here is the noise:

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Here is the noise:
I have about 48K miles on my 2020 ST and the wife is complaining about the exhaust rattle. Not really bad in my opinion and I don't hear anything once the engine warms up. So I did take it to the dealer last week to get it checked out. They tell me one catalytic converter needs to be replaced (my left side cat has previously been replaced) and both flex pipes need to be replaced. They informed me that it is covered under the emissions warranty. Hearing the noise in this video is kind of telling me to leave mine alone.

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have about 48K miles on my 2020 ST and the wife is complaining about the exhaust rattle. Not really bad in my opinion and I don't hear anything once the engine warms up. So I did take it to the dealer last week to get it checked out. They tell me one catalytic converter needs to be replaced (my left side cat has previously been replaced) and both flex pipes need to be replaced. They informed me that it is covered under the emissions warranty. Hearing the noise in this video is kind of telling me to leave mine alone.
Did they say they would also cover the flex pipes under that same emissions warranty? I think they only replace the cat along with its hardware

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
Did they say they would also cover the flex pipes under that same emissions warranty? I think they only replace the cat along with its hardware
Here is the noise:
That sounds like a straight up exhaust leak, possibly from the flex pipes or maybe just the connection to the flex pipes. I would definitely bring it back to that same dealer and let them hear it. It's ridiculous they would finish a dual catalytic converter job and leave an obvious exhaust leak like that. If it was just a rattle then I could see them maybe not covering it as it's not dangerous and part of their exhaust recall. But that doesn't sound like a rattle.

Search YouTube for explorer ST flex pipe rattle. Listen to those sounds and you'll see yours is not just a rattle.

I am leaning heavily towards replacing my flex pipes now through a local exhaust place before they crack another Cat.

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That sounds like a straight up exhaust leak, possibly from the flex pipes or maybe just the connection to the flex pipes. I would definitely bring it back to that same dealer and let them hear it. It's ridiculous they would finish a dual catalytic converter job and leave an obvious exhaust leak like that. If it was just a rattle then I could see them maybe not covering it as it's not dangerous and part of their exhaust recall. But that doesn't sound like a rattle.

Search YouTube for explorer ST flex pipe rattle. Listen to those sounds and you'll see yours is not just a rattle.

I am leaning heavily towards replacing my flex pipes now through a local exhaust place before they crack another Cat.
Figured I’d post an update. Tried reaching out to the dealer for a few days straight no call backs. Instead of going through the waiting/drop off game, I decided to see if buying a new LH flex pipe would help. Had to look around since they’re apparently on a long backorder, but got one locally at a Lincoln dealership for $100. Swapped it out, and in doing so, realized that my stock flex pipe clamp was missing the washer and nut bar… dealer forgot to put them back on, and therefore couldn’t tighten it down. Between missing the hardware and the rattly old flex pipe, it was making that noise. Shes solid now. Ended up complaining to the dealer and got some money back and a few free oil changes.

FEST22

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Figured I’d post an update. Tried reaching out to the dealer for a few days straight no call backs. Instead of going through the waiting/drop off game, I decided to see if buying a new LH flex pipe would help. Had to look around since they’re apparently on a long backorder, but got one locally at a Lincoln dealership for $100. Swapped it out, and in doing so, realized that my stock flex pipe clamp was missing the washer and nut bar… dealer forgot to put them back on, and therefore couldn’t tighten it down. Between missing the hardware and the rattly old flex pipe, it was making that noise. Shes solid now. Ended up complaining to the dealer and got some money back and a few free oil changes.
What years are affected by this problem?

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
Glad you got that sorted out. So the Lincoln flex pipe is the same part but just Lincoln or is it different at all? Thinking of going aftermarket flex pipe if the OEMs are known to fail after a while anyway.

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
What years are affected by this problem?
Pretty sure it all 2020 and up. There instead a superceded Ford part for newer ones.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Service Advisor said cat converter and both flex pipes would be covered under emissions warranty.

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Glad you got that sorted out. So the Lincoln flex pipe is the same part but just Lincoln or is it different at all? Thinking of going aftermarket flex pipe if the OEMs are known to fail after a while anyway.
Exact same part. The aviator shares it. Hoping it lasts me about 15k miles before rattling too bad

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Dealer replaced left side catalytic converter (replaced once before) along with left flex pipe today. Both replaced under warranty at 52K miles. Repair bill was $1700 to Ford.