Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Dealer and PremiumCare saying rattling flex pipes no longer being covered under warranty

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I previously posted on the Facebook group, and I'm posting here as well. Had my 2020 in for Service and had them try to fix the noisy flex pipes with the TSB recommended worm clamps. The dealer says Ford is denying the claim LOL and wants to charge me for the $200 diag fee and 4 worm clamps...

My dealer and Ford Premiercare is saying Flex Pipe rattle and subsequent worm clamp work or full replacement is NO LONGER being covered under warranty.

Before anyone says "just replace the exhaust " that's bullshit, and Ford should be replacing.

Customer satisfaction program 21B35 expired Nov 30, 2022 so I don't think you can claim this under Emissions Recall 21E11.

Causal part 5E203 tied to TSB 20-2282 which is the flex pipes on these vehicles comes back as "not covered" when they try to claim the labor and part for refund.

The odd part is the 20-2282 TSB itself says it should be covered. Look here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179152-0001.pdf under the header called "Warranty Status"

If I am doing something wrong here, let me know...I am now being told the same thing from multiple parties which makes me believe it is true.

I'm gonna fight this, but would love to hear from anyone who has recently been successful in getting their flex pipes replaced and what TSB or procedure to submit the "causal part" was used.

Thanks all.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Give it time...those rattling flex sections will rattle themselves to failure and then they will be forced to cover it.

OP
bguild

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Give it time...those rattling flex sections will rattle themselves to failure and then they will be forced to cover it.
I mean if they wont cover the dealership putting worm clamps on, I doubt they will cover replacing 2 flex pipes. But I guess anything is possible. I have a case opened with Ford Customer care. We will see where they go with this.

Reactions
I hope they fix it. I guess it is inevitable on my 2020 for it to happen. I'm hoping it will happen on mine before my 3 year date, which is fast approaching.

Damned if you leave it on (not covered under warranty).
Damned if you replace it with an aftermarket (dealer will probably void warranty due to catback).

Keep us updated.

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
I have an appointment next week for warranty work on my 2020 and this is one of the items I plan to ask for. Although I'm still under factory warranty, so wonder if that's any different. Additionally I have an exhaust smell constantly when I'm at idle. Pretty sure it's from those rattling flex pipes.

hbalek

Reactions
I have an appointment next week for warranty work on my 2020 and this is one of the items I plan to ask for. Although I'm still under factory warranty, so wonder if that's any different. Additionally I have an exhaust smell constantly when I'm at idle. Pretty sure it's from those rattling flex pipes.
Exhaust smell is a bad catalytic converter which was replaced for me last fall and smell is gone.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Watching also. I am at 46K miles and asked dealer at 35K to look everything over, including exhaust. They said everything was fine. Wife tells me exhaust is noisy and wants it replaced. I was going to check with another dealer, but was hoping it would be covered under the emissions warranty or ESP.

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
Watching also. I am at 46K miles and asked dealer at 35K to look everything over, including exhaust. They said everything was fine. Wife tells me exhaust is noisy and wants it replaced. I was going to check with another dealer, but was hoping it would be covered under the emissions warranty or ESP.
In my experience, dealers need specific direction at what to look for if you want them find a problem. Especially right before the warranty expires. Asking them to look over the car and exhaust likely got a generic inspection from a tech. But does it rattle more at cold start up under the front door area where the flex pipes are? Or where is the exhaust noise coming from?

hbalek

Reactions
In my experience, dealers need specific direction at what to look for if you want them find a problem. Especially right before the warranty expires. Asking them to look over the car and exhaust likely got a generic inspection from a tech. But does it rattle more at cold start up under the front door area where the flex pipes are? Or where is the exhaust noise coming from?
Mine was inspected 2 years ago for the rattle and exhaust smell and they determined the TSB for the flex pipe was the solution. But since 2 years ago there has been an actual recall on the driver's side catalytic converter which was re-engineered with different casting so the seam won't separate. Last October, my dealer admitted that's what was the culprit for my exhaust smell and voila, no more exhaust smell after the driver's side cat was replaced.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
They did replace the left side catalytic converter awhile back. That cured the exhaust smell inside the vehicle. My 2020 ST that I bought new has always had an exhaust rattle upon cold start up and goes away in a minute or two. I may just try some large hose clamps around the flex pipe to see if it makes a difference. I say it is 'normal', but the wife not so much.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
After 2 1/2 years, my passenger side flex section had a gaping hole. I didn't smell exhaust in the cabin but my exhaust sound got progressively louder. I opted for the lethal midpipe because I had no faith in the "revised" OE pipe that looks like it has the identical flex sections (appearance only). I also wanted something I could DIY install in an hour instead of wasting my time at the dealer getting the part inspected, ordering parts, then having to dropping the car off for repair (which is what the dealer recommends for anything outside of an oil change or alignment). The exhaust is sooooo quiet now.

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
They did replace the left side catalytic converter awhile back. That cured the exhaust smell inside the vehicle. My 2020 ST that I bought new has always had an exhaust rattle upon cold start up and goes away in a minute or two. I may just try some large hose clamps around the flex pipe to see if it makes a difference. I say it is 'normal', but the wife not so much.
It is really frustrating to accept a rattle. Worth trying another dealer and being specific about the rattle and you're worried it may get worse. If they say it's normal then yeah I guess a cheap clamp or even replace that part with the aftermarket flex pipe ove seen on this forum.

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just bought my 2020 ST about 3 weeks ago. It has 41k miles so just the 60k powertrain warranty left. I bought from a non-franchise dealer, and before purchasing I brought it to a Ford dealer to get it Pre-Purchase Inspected. They did the inspection no problem and only found a couple minor things. I’ve now realized I have the flex pipe rattle pretty bad. Upon looking closer, I noticed that the welds of the downpipes are cracked from rattling (see photos).
A couple dealerships said this is not warrantied, and the dealer who performed the PPI is saying they usually don’t do inspections for other dealers’ vehicles and that I cannot be reimbursed for them missing this (and charging me $230).
Is it correct that these wouldn’t be covered through warranty?

Attachments

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
No, that is the catalytic converter pipe--not what we are calling the midpipe with the flex sections. There is a recall for the catalytic converter pipe. If I'm not mistaken, it would be covered under recall no matter what your mileage is. I had it replaced at 55k miles under recall. Just head on over to a Ford dealer. BTW, mine cracked in the same spot.

For the midpipes issues, see:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204044-0001.pdf

The emission recall involving the LH catalytic converter pipe is 21E11, if you want to look that up.

Last edited:

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
No, that is the catalytic converter pipe--not what we are calling the midpipe with the flex sections. There is a recall for the catalytic converter pipe. If I'm not mistaken, it would be covered under recall no matter what your mileage is. I had it replaced at 55k miles under recall. Just head on over to a Ford dealer. BTW, mine cracked in the same spot.

For the midpipes issues, see:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204044-0001.pdf

The emission recall involving the LH catalytic converter pipe is 21E11, if you want to look that up.
Thanks so much, that’s just what I needed. Got an appt scheduled for early next week. Hoping they replace both

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Let us know what happens. If the downpipes are cracked, they replace those. If the the flex sections have failed, they'll likely replace those. If they just rattle, probably nothing will be done.

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Let us know what happens. If the downpipes are cracked, they replace those. If the the flex sections have failed, they'll likely replace those. If they just rattle, probably nothing will be done.
The bulletin is only showing LH cat, but you got both replaced through the same recall? Struggling speaking with service director since the 21E11 bulletin only shows the right hand cat being replaced for “police” versions of the 3.0.
The bulletin they’re printing out looks different than the one on the NHTSA website and is saying “supplement #2” in red all over, leading me to believe this one trumped the initial one.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Just FYI my 2020 is in the shop right now to replace both cats on the recall.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Cats are emission components and will always be covered for 8 years or 80k miles. That’s federal law.

IconicST

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Cats are emission components and will always be covered for 8 years or 80k miles. That’s federal law.
Correct. After arguing with the service director for about 30 min, ended up throwing that out there about the 80k mile. Only left cat covered through ford recall, but they will do the right one through the federal recall.